Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Likely a super dumb car buying question.

1. Senior Member

Likely a super dumb car buying question.

Advertisements
    I have no idea if this is the right forum because it has more to do with my husband not being with me than the actual car buying process, but here we go.

My husband pretty much suddenly decided to reenlist. I'm still going home so well be separated for a bit while he figures out where we go next and hell also be training for a new MOS. I need to buy a car when I go home, though. I can borrow cars from my family for a bit but they've made it clear that they expect me to have a car of my own soon after I get there.

So how do I buy a car without my husband? I need a car before I get a job (you know, so I can drive myself to it) so I need to use his information to be approved for a loan. Is that something I can do without him actually being there? He'll be home a few months after me so worst case scenario Ill just be annoying my family and hitching rides until then but it would obv be a lot easier if he doesn't need to be there.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Make sure he gives you a Power of Attorney that specifically states that you can buy, sell, trade, etc new/used/preowned cars without him being there because it will be his name as the main loan payer (forget what the real term is ). Other than that, I can't think of anything else that you would need.
  3. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    Make sure he gives you a Power of Attorney that specifically states that you can buy, sell, trade, etc new/used/preowned cars without him being there because it will be his name as the main loan payer (forget what the real term is ). Other than that, I can't think of anything else that you would need.

good luck!!!

4. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

I agree with the PP's. Just get a specific POA and you should be fine.

ETA- A good idea would be to call a few different dealerships in the area (or your bank if you finance through them) and ask exactly what they would want the POA to specifically say. I think that would be a good precaution because everyone does and wants them differently.
  5. Senior Member
    Ok thank goodness it's possible! Thanks for the help.
  6. Regular Member
    I would make sure that your name is also on the vehicle and the loan (joint). This is can be a good way to begin to build your own credit history/score. As you make on time payments, they will be reflected in both your records. Even though you're married you both have your own history/score and in my opinion it's important that you work on building both his and yours!
    J.J. Montanaro is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER practicioner with USAA Financial Planning Services one of the USAA family of companies.