Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Furniture credit card

1. Regular Member

Furniture credit card

Advertisements
    Me and my husband have no furniture. Like zero. All the stuff that was in our apartment was borrowed from my family, and his, and now it is back in their homes. I'm moving to Texas in a month and we were talking about getting the major purchase exchange card so we could just buy a bunch of furniture from the BX and then pay it off monthly.

Is this the worst idea ever?
    How in the heck do people buy furniture and be smart about it?
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

That's a tough situation ... when we moved from korea we had basically no furniture, we got married there and both of us were living in pre-furnished apartments. And we have no family in Texas.

We did a few things, we had some money saved up so we were able to buy some furniture. We also bought some things with a store credit card to get a discount (plus zero interest for a year), and made it a priority to pay off the card before we would be charged the interest. There was also some stuff that we just started small on and bought later ... we got a cheap coffee table set from Goodwill and saved up money to replace it later, same thing for our dining room set and our desks. Then we just donated it back to them once we had saved up enough to buy bigger pieces.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Can you just steadily get the things that you need that way you're not racking up a ton of debt at one time? We're just saving money steadily and buying what we need as we want/need it so that we don't have a credit card hanging over our heads. However, we did/do have things that we're just replacing with more lasting furniture.
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I've only ever purchased used furniture so I'm not sure what to tell you but good luck!
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

It's not something DH or I would do. I don't think it's absolutely the worst idea though. the worst idea would probably be prostitution for furniture money.

Reasons I wouldn't do it:
    1. I hate the idea of paying interest
    2. I hate the idea of having another bill
    3. If that card is some thing you can only use at the BX you will probably get ripped off on the price you are going to pay
    4. You would be really limiting your selection of furniture.

The only reason I could think of doing it is that something is better then nothing and that is not enough of a pro to make me consider it.

When DH and I first got married EVERYTHING was second or third hand. From our knives to our couch. We lived with it for our first year of married and DH went on deployment. We saved a ton of money and got to buy brand new everything. We got to buy what WE wanted and it was so nice.

Honestly, if it was me I would just try and get by with the little you have now, save a lot of money, and pay cash for really great furniture that you love when you have the money.

Look on Craigslist for the time being for a used couch, shop at goodwill and salvation army.

That's just what I would do and did.
  6. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    The only way DH and I put furniture on a CC is if it's no interest for 6 month to a year, depending on how long we think it will take us to pay it off. We recently bought a couch with a furniture CC and we only did it because it was on sale for like $1,000 off, we've been eyeing it for five months, and we knew we can pay it off before the interest hits.

be cool.
  7. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    That's a tough situation ... when we moved from korea we had basically no furniture, we got married there and both of us were living in pre-furnished apartments. And we have no family in Texas.

We did a few things, we had some money saved up so we were able to buy some furniture. We also bought some things with a store credit card to get a discount (plus zero interest for a year), and made it a priority to pay off the card before we would be charged the interest. There was also some stuff that we just started small on and bought later ... we got a cheap coffee table set from Goodwill and saved up money to replace it later, same thing for our dining room set and our desks. Then we just donated it back to them once we had saved up enough to buy bigger pieces.
    The bolded is exactly what I did. I used Furniture Row and managed to pay it all off before the interest came into effect.

8. Senior Member
    I'd look elsewhere and try to get a 0% rate... You can usually get 0% for at least a year and they run specials for even longer.
  9. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Big Lots and IKEA have very cheap furniture to start with. If that is absolutely not an option, keep an eye on the 0% interest deals. I know Ashley Furniture and Rooms To Go sometimes advertise it around/after major holidays. Also, check the local furniture stores if they have any special offers. My only advice is financially wise, to do your homework on these deals very thoroughly. As PP mentioned, you have a year to pay up or if you run behind, they will charge you extra. You just have to be careful such a major decision not to interfere with anything you might be already paying off.
  10. Senior Member
    I would only do it if you can get 0% interest for a while. Interest on store charge cards is typically really high. We're doing one room at a time, and saving for stuff we really love. Right now we're using a $200 couch from Big Lots but as soon as DH gets back from his deployment we're going into our furniture fund and getting a $2000 west elm sectional we've been eying since January.

We did our bedroom first. Our kitchen table was free from the Airmens Attic, so were our ghetto end tables. Those will get replaced eventually.

Personally I wouldn't charge furniture at the BX because you have nothing. I'd go to goodwill, big lots, Ikea... get enough to make your place liveable until you can save and get what you really want.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast