Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fafsa estimation for enlisted

1. Regular Member

Fafsa estimation for enlisted

Advertisements
    My fiancé and I are thinking about getting married before I finish college. Unfortunately my scholarships will be up by then so well have to rely on federal aide. My tuition is 5k per semester and my living expenses are about 3k for that year. My fiancé will be deployed so he won't be paying rent or anything. My question is what kind of federal aide have you been offered? Or, how much do you think I could get based on your personal experiences? My fiancé is an e-3.
    I tried filling out an estimator, but it was pretty vague as to how much I'd actually be offered.
    Thanks for your help!!
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    define 'living expenses'... financial aide only takes into consideration rent/mortgage and basic utilities (electric, gas, water), anything other than that isn't considered living expenses.

If you mean by Federal Aide, Pell Grants, you may not get any because of his income. You will qualify for student loans though.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member
    You will likely get something, but don't expect anything more than $2,000, possibly less. If you get more than that you are very lucky. It also depends on your savings.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    it depends on what he filed in 2011... the school should have their own student needs budget. If he doesn't get any scholarships or grants (money that doesn't have to be paid back) then he has an option to take out loans. Its really up to him on how much he wants to pay back, but he can always look into the following year to get scholarship/grant money. Its extra work, but I was able to graduate with my bachelors with very low loan amounts to pay back. After the first year, when I took out loans to meet that budget amount, I was in the library looking up scholarships. Some were only for $150 or something, but I got more than I could take in; the school ended up turning away 2 different grants that I was awarded...I was totally pissed at the time, but that student needs budget had been met.

For instance: The university I got my bachelors from had their tuition at approx. $7000 a year, the student needs budget was set for approx. $18,400 or something like that. I was able to get scholarships, grants and loans for up to $18,400 per year. Excluding summer semesters. Just fall and spring semesters.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    DH is an e4 and I'm a grad student so I don't receive any grants but I got more than enough to cover my schooling and if I wanted living expenses at roughly $18,000 last year. This year I am graduating in fall quarter so my offer was for $9,000 just for those 10 weeks, I think the first offer was around $16,000 though.
  6. Senior Member
    My bet is you'll qualify for Pell if he's only an E-3. Do the paperwork and find out. A lot will depend on if you have money socked away (savings) and other sources of income.
  7. Regular Member
    I'm considering living expenses to be my rent and utilities. And our savings is pretty piddley. Last year when he filed he got 2 k back. He'd only been in for 10 months at that point. I'd like to not take out loans as much as possible, since I've gone the past : years loan free. Would work study be a viable possibility for me?
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I think you will generally get more aid if you are not married, since you are under 24. I think almost anyone can get work study, but it's usually not very much. I received a ton of aid for my undergrad because my mom was poor and I still only could do 8 hours a week of work study (the max they allowed- it paid 8$/hr). If you marry they are going to assume your husband is contributing towards your expenses, even if he isn't really. However, if you marry, you could apply for mil-spouse scholarships, so there is that. Pell grants were drastically reduced last year by Congress so I don't know if you will be able to get any or not.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Certified G
    Certified G
    I'm confused... if you aren't married, you don't put him on your FAFSA. However, if you aren't 24 yet, you might still be considered a dependent of your parents regardless of whether you live with them or not. Its a weird system, but you might be required to put their info on the FAFSA. I have a daughter, so even though I've been under 24, I'm still considered independent. I get the Pell and Cal Grants because I only had to file my own income.

10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    The current FAFSA is based on 2011 tax year, so since you weren't married then, you'd have to use your parents income (if you are under 24). Next year, it will be based on 2012 taxes, which would be your and your husband's combined income. If your parents make too much, then I'm afraid you may end up with loans, if there are no scholarships available for you.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast