Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new vs used cars?

1. Finally a Pharmacist and Wife to a Civilian!!
    Finally a Pharmacist and Wife to a Civilian!!

Help new vs used cars?

Advertisements
    DH and I are starting the search for a new car. We aren't sure which way to go, new or used. I see benefits on both and I also see that we can get a brand new car within our budget, so I'm struggling. What I'm not sure is how much upgrades and such cost on the new car and if that takes us out of our limit.

What are your opinions?

eta: my inlaws just bought a new car and we called them and they told us to go to edmonds.com, which I'm doing, but it's not really answering my new vs. used debate and how much typical upgrades cost. So frustrating!!
    There is no medicine like hope, no incentive so great, and no tonic so powerful
    as expectation of something better tomorrow.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    Tigger_pink is my MSOS wifey JoJoBannana is my twin
  2. Senior Member
    If you really want to know what upgrades cost you can go on the car manufacturer's website and build a car with the extras you want.

IMO it depends on what you can find on whether to get new or used. If there is a good deal on some not too old used cars, then get that. If you can't find anything you want in used, and can get a good deal on new, then do that.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Currently the demand for used cars is so high that I think there is no point buying used. Last fall when we were looking we ended up buying a new car because it would be cheaper in the long run. It would have been $5,000-$8,000 for a used car with 125,000+miles on it which would have lasted an unknown number of years plus possible repairs. Instead we bought a new car to keep for 8-10 years for $16,000.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We did a lease return. It was only 6 months old and they took the depreciation off for us. Figure up to $3,000 and up when you drive it off the lot.

Ours also had the warranty and the GM benefits as a new car.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  5. Senior Member
    i always buy a used car 1-2 years old, its a huge price difference and still has that new car smell lol.
    just always go for a low mileage well looked after car
  6. verabot89
    verabot89
    Right now I would buy new. I just went shopping for a used car, and it was a pretty dismal experience. Leasing a new one now, with low monthly payments and will have some positive equity at the end to put as a down payment on a new lease. A certified pre-owned isn't a bad idea either, as they are usually no more than 3 years old and still come with the warranty. I wouldn't invest in a car that has a really short warranty. With a new car you're getting it for the best part of it's life instead of the worst, you know? And a warranty, and generally you get free care like oil changes, etc. That saves lots of money over time.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

7. Senior Member
    I bought a new car (2012 Altima Coupe) last year after considering used car and leasing options. I found that leasing was actually MORE expensive (shorter terms available) and a used car did not come with all the "perks" (free oil changes for a year, extended warranties, free service and maintenance during the warranty period). If you can afford it, I think it's worth it to buy new, keep the miles low, and sell or trade it in in a few years.
  8. Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    I've always been a buy (barely) used kinda girl, but we just bought a brand new car last summer. If you have a USAA account, they have a car buying program that is excellent. You basically go through them to get a price, then go to an authorized dealer with that price. We were able to save so much money on my car that it's still worth more than I paid for it a year later. Good luck!
  9. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
    i always buy a used car 1-2 years old, its a huge price difference and still has that new car smell lol.
    just always go for a low mileage well looked after car
    This is what I was going to suggest. Just driving a car off a lot knocks a HUGE amount of value off of it right there. Getting an almost-new used car gets you pretty much the same thing for thousands of dollars less.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    This is what I was going to suggest. Just driving a car off a lot knocks a HUGE amount of value off of it right there.Getting an almost-new used car gets you pretty much the same thing for thousands of dollars less.
    I agree with the bolded. I would go with a gently used car that isn't more then a few years old and with low mileage on it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast