Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Recurring credit error?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Recurring credit error?

Advertisements
    Back when DH was in Iraq he had a negative on his credit report (don't know the right wording for this I'm not overly credit savy) but it was for something he never bought, called the company the issue was through, they had no idea why it was on there and that they had no record of any charges. Did all the stuff you are supposed to do and had it taken off his credit report, scores went up, he's all good. Same thing happened again about a year and a half ago, took care of it, got it taken off, good to go.

Well now we're getting ready to buy a house, we want to utilise a VA loan. We have identity guard so we can check our scores whenever, DH checks his all the time. Mine were okay, between 718 and 723, with not much of a credit history. DH is usually somewhere in the 750's and up. He went to check them yesterday and they are down to 740, 655, and and 658! The negative statement? is BACK on his credit report. We were going to put in for pre-approval in 2 weeks, now we'll be waiting.

Does anyone know what we can do to get this permanently off his credit report? Or how long before his scores will go back up? This is the third time this has happened in 3 years, no one we talk to can explain how it's getting back on there. DH is and so am I.

That is the one and only blemish DH has ever had on his credit, so it is really bringing down his CS.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Did you dispute it with Experian or whoever else directly? You can do it online and provide documentation that it was already removed and is not your DH than that should clear it up.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Liz711 View Post
    Did you dispute it with Experian or whoever else directly? You can do it online and provide documentation that it was already removed and is not your DH than that should clear it up.
    Yeah that is how we've gotten it taken off the last 2 times, we know we can get it off again, we're just trying to find out why it keeps getting back on there and how to keep it off permanently.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Did you remove it from all 3 agencies?

Based on the scores you mentioned, seems like one of the agencies isn't reporting it and the other 2 are.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Did you remove it from all 3 agencies?

Based on the scores you mentioned, seems like one of the agencies isn't reporting it and the other 2 are.
    the first two times all three have reported it, this is the first time only two have.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Keep contesting it.

If it keeps happening, maybe have an attorney write a cease and desist letter to the original company that's reporting it to the bureaus.

Something similar happened to my DH... he returned a phone, got delivery confirmation from the phone company that he returned it and the account was closed. Then all of a sudden it started showing up as a delinquent account on his credit. Turns out that they never deactivated it (despite the confirmation he received in writing)... and someone (presumably at the phone company since that's the only place it was) had used it to make calls overseas... so they were trying to ding him for long distance calls, etc.... even though THEY'RE the ones who screwed up, he's had to contest it on his credit 5 or 6 times now.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    Keep contesting it.

If it keeps happening, maybe have an attorney write a cease and desist letter to the original company that's reporting it to the bureaus.

Something similar happened to my DH... he returned a phone, got delivery confirmation from the phone company that he returned it and the account was closed. Then all of a sudden it started showing up as a delinquent account on his credit. Turns out that they never deactivated it (despite the confirmation he received in writing)... and someone (presumably at the phone company since that's the only place it was) had used it to make calls overseas... so they were trying to ding him for long distance calls, etc.... even though THEY'RE the ones who screwed up, he's had to contest it on his credit 5 or 6 times now.
    5 or 6 times?! That is so ridiculous, I just hate that. The attorney thing is a good idea, I think this time we'll just contest it and get it over with, we have a lot going on right now so the faster and less expensively we deal with everything the better, but if it happens again we will contact one, because it's just getting to be ridiculous and annoying .