Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: need income info- new army wife lost @ budget

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help need income info- new army wife lost @ budget

Advertisements
    hey, Im a new army wife and i am trying to find out what to expect for our new location which is still unknown. i would like to know how much it would be with my husband me and our unborn child, how the income would be set up or an idea at the very least. any bit of info would be greatly appreciated!!
  2. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    What rank is he? Each rank has a set income with set bah. You can add his rank pay plus the bah were you guys will be located to get a rough estimate? And depending on what's his job is he might receive extra pay. (for example my husband receives flight pay on top of his base pay, etc)

3. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    Ah I just noticed you said you don't know the location. In that case I would just base it off his base pay them for his rank if you're trying to come up with a budget and then whatever income you bring if you plan on working.

4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    he is a private first class in airborne infantry im very new to this army stuff so im just trying to get the hang of it
    the possibilities i was given was north carolina alaska and italy
  5. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    Look up a military pay chart to see the pay based on rank. And you can look up the bah with dependents (also based on rank) for those locations and add those together.

6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    ok sounds easy enough thank you so very very much
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonezys_lilmama View Post
    he is a private first class in airborne infantry im very new to this army stuff so im just trying to get the hang of it
    the possibilities i was given was north carolina alaska and italy
    Alaska and Italy are going to be a bit different than anything within the Continental US. His pay will be his base pay. As an E-3, you can look at a pay chart, which will tell you his base pay, depending on the number of years of service he has. For 2 years of service, it would be $1938. To that, you add any special pays for which he might qualify. Then add BAS (you can google the amount based on his rank), which he will get as long as he's not being given his meals. If he lives off base, you can add BAH. You'll have to google to find a calculator, and they are based on rank, dependents or not (Since he has a wife, it is "yes" or "with dependents"), and location. If you live on base, they will generally take 100% of his BAH, but you will have a free home with free basic utilities (not cable or internet, but electricity, water, etc.). This is where it gets tricky with Alaska and Italy. That's more complicated if he lives off base, but it's in those places he may be required to live on base anyway. And those places would both (I think) have a Cost Of Living Allowance, which is based on the specific base.

Once you add all that together, it is his pay. There might be few deductions (in addition to taxes), like dental (assuming you want coverage for you and the kid once s/he arrives), life insurance, and other things, but that will be mostly minor. Those things added up should give you a rough estimate of his before-tax pay. He will be paid half that, twice on month, on roughly the 1st and 15th.

I know that's complicated, but unfortunately, there is no simple answer. Even what I said has some generalizations and skips some things.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    To add to what vanilla said, his pay stub comes in the form of an LES. (Leave and earnings statement)
    That breaks everything down, including withholdings.
    As far as budgeting, there should be free help on base or his command to help you setup a budget and help with financial planning.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    thank you all for the information it does help a lot and if theres anything else that ya'll can think of it would be greatly appreciated
  10. Senior Member
    If you are worried about money and handling all the finances, you are probably better off living on base. At the lover ranks you is usually get a larger home than you could afford rent and utilities on off base with your BAH, so you come out ahead financially and/or get a nicer house. It also makes it easier to shop at the commissary, which many people find to be cheaper, and cuts your commute costs, assuming that the military housing is on or near base (it isn't always).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski