Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budgeting Advice

1. Senior Member

Budgeting Advice

Advertisements
    DB is in England and he is stressing out over money. I am going to sit down and skype him later this week and help him create a budget. One problem, I have never really created a complete budget. Any advice would be welcome.

Has anyone ever tried Mint.com, it's a budgeting site, and if so how was your experience with it? I don't know if we want to use it but I was curious what everyone thought of it.
  2. Senior Member
    Haven't used it but looks like a pretty good site
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  3. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    I used it many years ago. It was very easy to use, but I didn't like that they had my bank information so I stopped using it. I've heard that quicken is much better, more secure and can take complex investments. But you have to pay for it, so a little counterproductive to the saving

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
    yeah, after a very long time of not using it I am trying to blog again!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishie View Post
    I used it many years ago. It was very easy to use, but I didn't like that they had my bank information so I stopped using it. I've heard that quicken is much better, more secure and can take complex investments. But you have to pay for it, so a little counterproductive to the saving
    Yea, the part that worries me the most is them having all of our bank information.
  5. Senior Member
    It's really, really easy to make your own budget sheets using Excel and the most basic formulas. Just enter each budget line item, group them as you think makes most sense, and se up formulas to total each category. Then you can add your numbers for each month, and even set up formulas so show you how much your spending in each line item or larger group has gone up or down.

If you are Excel savvy at all (or don't mind google and a little trial and error), you can get Excel to show you graphs and pie charts and whatever else you want.

If you know basic formulas (really just adding), you can have it set up in less than half an hour.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishie View Post
    This is why DH and I stopped using it.

Have you guys thought about making your own spreadsheet in excel? They have templates and everything that make it easy until you get the hang of it enough to make your own.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Just to give you an idea this is the quick sheet DH and I put together to keep track of where our money goes

And this is underneath it to keep a budget
  8. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by HisCrazyGirl View Post
    Just to give you an idea this is the quick sheet DH and I put together to keep track of where our money goes

And this is underneath it to keep a budget

How do I get one? I have literally never done something so intense, but it looks fun (and both not fun). And I am technologically mentally impaired.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post

How do I get one? I have literally never done something so intense, but it looks fun (and both not fun). And I am technologically mentally impaired.
    DH say's I'm a freak (jokingly of course). I think spreadsheets are fun .
  10. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post

Sign me up for one too!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast