Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried bout $ on our upcoming move 2 San Diego

1. Loving My Corpsman!
    Loving My Corpsman!

Nutts Worried bout $ on our upcoming move 2 San Diego

Advertisements
    So im starting to wounder if we'll be able to live off base in an Apt around town & still have enough money to pay our bills and live comfy =/
    My DH is only a E-3 and seeing the prices of Apts out in town are starting to FREAK me O.U.T!
    I know we'll be getting close to $2000 for BAH nd all but, from what im seeing our rent alone is gonna be close too $1800! Thats just crazy to me...
    My ? is, is anyone else in my shoes? Or Was before? How did ya'll manage ?
  2. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    When DH and I first moved here we were broke 24/7 but holy hell $1800??? Moving here is like a slap in the face because the cost of living is so expensive we have been here for going on 2years and we are JUST now starting to get a saving again. That is only because we moved further out to a cheaper area it really is worth the drive even with factoring in gas when you can find a place for $800-$1000(Not $1800) for a one bedroom in like the Lakeside area which is nice....

It's still cheaper then living in housing because housing that allows pets will take your full BAH so I to live in housing if you can get away with only paying like 45 for water and keep your electric bill down those bills should still be covered by your BAH with money left over. Although, I can tell you right now unless you have a good chunk in savings or a credit card to fall back on if y'all have to you will see you account in the red more then once trying to live out side your means(like paying $1800 for rent alone) when you first get here we did.

Last edited by LoveMikeyBear; 10-03-2011 at 10:57 PM.
    Signature removed due to size.
  3. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Here is this one in La Mesa it's a 23 minute Drive to Cornado, allows small dogs, and in only either $875, $995, OR $1225 for the most expensive one bed room. In your price range and won't make you totally trying to pay rent if something happens like say one of the dogs needs to go to the vet.

La Mesa Gardens Apartments in La Mesa, CA | Apartments.com
  4. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Here are other places not to far(less then 30minutes from Coronado) and cheaper then then whatever you're looking at for $1800.

This is in Chula Vista this one only 16 minutes away $895 - $905 or $1025 - $1475 for one bed room then $1365 - $1555 for 2 bedroom... Allows small dogs pet rent only $25 a month
    The Villages at Bonita Glen Apartments in Chula Vista, CA | Apartments.com

This One Chula Vista also for a one bedroom $1180 - $1255 or $1550 for a 2bedroom, allows small big & dogs, $50 monthly pet rent, and even has washer and dyer in some units. (Wish I had seen this one before I moved to this city. )
    Terra Nova Villas Apartments in Chula Vista, CA | Apartments.com
  5. Senior Member
    It can be done, but it is not the easiest thing to do.

You need to do your research and find out what the two of you can afford. As for living further out of town that is an option but you need to think about some things. Be aware that it is not just housing costs that go up, but gasoline, food, clothing, any commodities all of these things are going to increase in cost.

I would encourage you and your DH to get on the same page financially now before your move if you are not already. If you can find was to increase your savings and decreasing your monthly expense now, it will help to offset some of the differential in the economy when you get here. Make sure you and your DH understand what pay and allowances he gets now and what will change when you move. If you have pets you should be aware that it is more difficult to find rental units especially if they are larger pets.

Some Questions I would pose to you to think about. Not asking for a post response just wanted to throw them out there for thoughts and private conversations between you and your DH.

1. do you plan to work? 2. do you all have two vehicles that you plan to bring to CA? 3. If yes will you be able to afford payments, maintenance, gas, tags and registration on both vehicle here? 4. What type of employment are you seeking out here, have you started looking? 5. Do you currently live pay check to pay check, if so can you make changes to that? 6. Do you have a monthly budget? 7. I would create one if you don't and also make a projected budget for what your financial picture will look like when you get here.

There are E-3's that are married and live in San Diego. Some do better than others and some worse than others. But good for you for looking into this before you get here. Also there is some housing units that do not take full BAH however I don't believe they accept pets, so if you don't have pets moving with you that might be something to look into.
    ~ Sara ~
  6. Loving My Corpsman!
    Loving My Corpsman!
    Thanks those are great prices but my DH isnt too crazy about the wood kitchens.. lol
    Also those have very small sq ft for the prices they asking for... ours right now is bigger then those and were paying less! =/ I have a feelimg hes gonna go for Chula Vista California Apartments - Home - Toscana at Rancho Del Rey
  7. Loving My Corpsman!
    Loving My Corpsman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixi7272 View Post
    It can be done, but it is not the easiest thing to do.

You need to do your research and find out what the two of you can afford. As for living further out of town that is an option but you need to think about some things. Be aware that it is not just housing costs that go up, but gasoline, food, clothing, any commodities all of these things are going to increase in cost.

I would encourage you and your DH to get on the same page financially now before your move if you are not already. If you can find was to increase your savings and decreasing your monthly expense now, it will help to offset some of the differential in the economy when you get here. Make sure you and your DH understand what pay and allowances he gets now and what will change when you move. If you have pets you should be aware that it is more difficult to find rental units especially if they are larger pets.

Some Questions I would pose to you to think about. Not asking for a post response just wanted to throw them out there for thoughts and private conversations between you and your DH.

1. do you plan to work? 2. do you all have two vehicles that you plan to bring to CA? 3. If yes will you be able to afford payments, maintenance, gas, tags and registration on both vehicle here? 4. What type of employment are you seeking out here, have you started looking? 5. Do you currently live pay check to pay check, if so can you make changes to that? 6. Do you have a monthly budget? 7. I would create one if you don't and also make a projected budget for what your financial picture will look like when you get here.

There are E-3's that are married and live in San Diego. Some do better than others and some worse than others. But good for you for looking into this before you get here. Also there is some housing units that do not take full BAH however I don't believe they accept pets, so if you don't have pets moving with you that might be something to look into.
    Thanks ALL those ?s have been going thru my mind this wholeeee time!!! lol
    Im planing on starting school as soon as possible! its gonna take a good YR till i even finish! & thats IF I do Full time... Seeing as my DH may get deployed 2months after moving I might as well try and wrk nd do school at the same time.. My dogs are both small yorkies they both dont even weigh 18lb 2GETHER! lol Housing has officially told us there is 88 families AHEAD of US!!!!! Sooo thats a no go =/ Sucks since we put in our aplication 2MONTHS AGO! I guess it'll have to be done carefully but moving there is already gonna cost us a good 1500 since we are taking BOTH our cars. -_-
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyWife8 View Post
    Thanks ALL those ?s have been going thru my mind this wholeeee time!!! lol
    Im planing on starting school as soon as possible! its gonna take a good YR till i even finish! & thats IF I do Full time... Seeing as my DH may get deployed 2months after moving I might as well try and wrk nd do school at the same time.. My dogs are both small yorkies they both dont even weigh 18lb 2GETHER! lol Housing has officially told us there is 88 families AHEAD of US!!!!! Sooo thats a no go =/ Sucks since we put in our aplication 2MONTHS AGO! I guess it'll have to be done carefully but moving there is already gonna cost us a good 1500 since we are taking BOTH our cars. -_-

Well it sounds like you guys are starting off thinking correctly and doing some preliminary research. I would suggest if this is your first PCS and even if it is not to go to a Smooth Move class at your FFSC to know what you all are entitled to as far as move money, move dates to travel, mileage, weight limits and all of that. If you can't get into a local class look for a webinar offered by military one source. I can tell you both the in person class and the webinar are worth taking. Maybe not both (although I did I am a little OCD).

But they will help you to know what you are entitled to because if you don't know the Navy is not going to tell you about anything you don't ask for. We have down 3 cross country moves and each one has been a little bit better as we have been more experienced each time. So if you have any PCS questions let me know.

As for the Square footage of an apartment. Yep they are small and that is just how it is here in CA.
    ~ Sara ~
  9. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    I'm kind of here right now, but on the other side of the country!! I'll be moving to VA Beach in May, and the apartment prices FLOOR me!!!

I hope your move goes well!! I have no advice, but I offer and
  10. Loving My Corpsman!
    Loving My Corpsman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixi7272 View Post
    Well it sounds like you guys are starting off thinking correctly and doing some preliminary research. I would suggest if this is your first PCS and even if it is not to go to a Smooth Move class at your FFSC to know what you all are entitled to as far as move money, move dates to travel, mileage, weight limits and all of that. If you can't get into a local class look for a webinar offered by military one source. I can tell you both the in person class and the webinar are worth taking. Maybe not both (although I did I am a little OCD).

But they will help you to know what you are entitled to because if you don't know the Navy is not going to tell you about anything you don't ask for. We have down 3 cross country moves and each one has been a little bit better as we have been more experienced each time. So if you have any PCS questions let me know.

As for the Square footage of an apartment. Yep they are small and that is just how it is here in CA.
    Already Went to the moving class lol & pretty much was telling us stuff we already knew and already had the papers in for lol I guess u can say we are kindaaa ready... Its just the whole $$ is whats worring me like... I wanna know exacly how much it is that we'll be getting payed when we move out there that would really help me calculate everything MUCH better! Lookin online as we speak and all I keep seeing is the Amount of BAH were gonna be getting and how much a E3 makes... Do I just add that together??? Im sooooo lost ! lol
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast