Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maken a budget

1. Banned
    Banned

Maken a budget

Advertisements
    Is there anyone who would be able to help me do this. I really wanna stop living pay check to pay check I think it will help in the future but I have no idea how to put together a budget so I need some help.

TIA
  2. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    First things first is to right down necessities...car payment, insurance (car/health), gas to spent on getting to work, and anything else. If things are tight I would start with your cell phone and see if you can drop a data plan if you have one.

That's all I've got, I'm not good at budgeting

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    PM me and I can seriously help you...I have my budget in a beautiful (modified Ramsey) spreadsheet and I consistently refer to it when I get paid and when bills get paid out. I love numbers, so if you get lost or need help getting started, PM me.

4. sassypants
    sassypants
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Special View Post
    PM me and I can seriously help you...I have my budget in a beautiful (modified Ramsey) spreadsheet and I consistently refer to it when I get paid and when bills get paid out. I love numbers, so if you get lost or need help getting started, PM me.
    PMing you now!!
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Well, it can take a few months to truly set up, but I can tell you what I do:

First write down things that are 100% necessary. Rent. Groceries. Utilities. Car payments.

Take the next month and every time you spend anything- ANY thing, write it down. Write down on a list how much and what it was for. Paying for a parking spot, coffee in the morning, new shoes for work, rent- everything. At the end of the month look at you list. Add up what you spend on food, rent, utilities etc... Add all the necessary costs together. Find out how much you brought in that month, and then correct the balances. For example:

I am going to put in my numbers:

I get 5,000 a quarter for all my living expenses. I divide that my 3 months in a quarter so each month I am allowed to spend 1660 tops (I round down to keep in budget). This is my "income". Here is a sample monthly "Output":

Groceries - 50/wk = 200/mo
    Rent- 700/mo
    Utilities- (this varies depending on the season, so I always like to overestimate) 250/mo
    TV- 50/mo
    Car insurance- 90/mo
    Gas for car (again, I overestimate rather than under)- 120/mo
    Total= 1410

This gives me 250 leeway for anything that may come up, and if it doesn't come up I give it right back to the government (since these are loans). In your case, you can put it in savings.

What you need to do it make sure you only allow yourself to spend so much a month on things that you can control. You can control how much your food bill is- don't go nuts. Make many meals using the same ingredients (variants on chicken, or pasta). Buy the cheap foods (not necessarily unhealthy, but maybe skip the steak for a month or 3). Do NOT buy coffee. Make it at home if you need it. It is such a waste of money. Bring your own lunches to work. Its amazing how much money you will save. No snacks. Snacks are unneccessary money wasters and, how I look at it, a welcome diet to remove them!

You can kind of control your utilities. In the summer, open the windows. Lay naked at home instead of blasting the a/c. Turn on a fan. Go to the public pool! In winder, layers! No need to turn the heat way up. I have 3 blankets on my bed and wear tons of sweats indoors to keep warm to prevent my bills from going up.

You can also kind of control your gas bills for you car. Make sure to run all your errands for the week in one trip. You dont need to go out for things 2 or 3 times a week. Thats extra gas. A little planning can save you on your gas bill.

If you really wanna go hardcore, only allow yourself to spend a certain amount. You can ONLY spend 150 on groceries a month and see how far it takes you. You can learn to stretch and be imaginative when it comes to cooking.

I was able to save 4,000 last year and give it back to the government just by the tips I said above- and I still went out to dinners with friends and movies and stuff like every week or week and a half. I in no way felt restrained budget wise, and yet I saved so much.

Good luck OP!
  7. Senior Member
    you should also try http://www.mint.com. It links up to your bank account/credit card account and automatically forms a reasonable budget based on your spending. Mint also divides your spending into income/auto/bills/etc, which is helpful. It also sends out bill reminders, tips for curbing spending on unnecessary things, and allows you to set up goals (from paying off credit card to saving for vacations).

I'm a visual learner, so the pie charts and thermometer charts have really helped me see where my money is going, much more so than the spreadsheets I used before. My dad is a financial planner and recommended it to me, and I love it so far!

8. Banned
    Banned
    Makin' a budget can be difficult but I'd utilize these women on here who know their crap
  9. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Mint is AWESOME.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  10. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Budgeting is SO hard. Especially when you're in college, because for me, what I have to pay changes ALL THE TIME.

Definitely stalking this thread for ideas.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast