Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Married Couples Questionnaire

1. Senior Member

Help Single Married Couples Questionnaire

Advertisements
    This is something im curious about, but for you that may not want to share, by all means dont have to. .
    Seeing that i am newly engaged, and my fiance and i are not quite sure on when we will be living together as a married couple, but there's been talk about money management, bills & everything else. . so here i am . .

Im curious to know if you both are working and what income does that create for a healthy lifestyle. . . Are you on or off base, if you are on base, would you rather be off for the fact that you'd have more money saved or vice versa? When you eventually moved up to meet him, did you bring your furniture with you and or did he bring his own? Or did you just start off from scratch? Do both of you have a car, or do you share the same? What was the toughest thing you two faced at the beginning, or may still struggle with slightly now?

Thank You in advance any tips, tricks, "must haves" or "must do's" are welcomed also. .lol

Just think of this thread as a little guided way for the newlyweds. .
  2. Moderator

Im curious to know if you both are working and what income does that create for a healthy lifestyle. . .
    Right now we are both working. I work part-time from home. If I couldn't work at home, I wouldn't be working, but that's because we have kids. We can live just fine off his income alone- when he was E1-E3 we did live off his income alone (with one child. I'm not going to quote specific numbers, but for our budget it works. I'm working now to put extra money in the bank for when he gets out.

Are you on or off base, if you are on base, would you rather be off for the fact that you'd have more money saved or vice versa?
    We live off post, but we don't save money by doing so. Our rent is just slightly higher (a few dollars) than our BAH and we pay our utilities out of pocket. I wouldn't change it though- I love living away from the Fort and in a nice neighbourhood. It's worth paying extra for to me.

When you eventually moved up to meet him, did you bring your furniture with you and or did he bring his own? Or did you just start off from scratch?
    When I moved to his tech school location, we brought furniture from both our previous homes.

Do both of you have a car, or do you share the same?
    We are a one-car family.

What was the toughest thing you two faced at the beginning, or may still struggle with slightly now?
    Our biggest struggle has always been working around the military's schedule. We would prefer to be able to be a 9-5 M-F kinda family, and obviously that isn't always (ok, isn't OFTEN) possible.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Im curious to know if you both are working and what income does that create for a healthy lifestyle. . .

We both work, but I made a LOT more money when I was working in Korea. Our lifestyle is "healthy" now but we had a lot more spare cash in Korea. We just had to change our budget accordingly when I switched jobs.

Are you on or off base, if you are on base, would you rather be off for the fact that you'd have more money saved or vice versa?

We live off post, we don't really save any money ... I think a tiny bit but it's negligible. Living off post is important to us because DH doesn't want to be around base housing, neither do I, we want the military involved in our lives as little as possible.

When you eventually moved up to meet him, did you bring your furniture with you and or did he bring his own? Or did you just start off from scratch?

Not sure how to answer this question. I didn't "move up" to meet him, we were both living in the same area. He didn't really have any furniture because he was living in the barracks, and my Korean apartment was pre-furnished. I did bring all my "furniture" with me which consisted of a dining room table and chairs and a washer. Our new apartment was furnished too, so we really only started from scratch once we moved back to America, more than a year after we got married.

We each have a car.

What was the toughest thing you two faced at the beginning, or may still struggle with slightly now?

The toughest thing for us was defining boundaries in our relationship. It's no longer a struggle because we are very clear in our expectations of each other.

I couldn't name one thing that I would say we currently struggle with, we deal with problems as they arise but it's not a particular issue that I could pin down.
  4. Senior Member
    So far, these answers have been amazing. . thank you!
  5. Senior Member

Im curious to know if you both are working and what income does that create for a healthy lifestyle
    He works, obviously. I sew military purses and sell them here at the exchange so I make a little bit of income. When we first got together, I wasn't working. We lived comfortably on just his paycheck.

We are on base because it's mandatory here. There is no off base, we can't leave. I like both though. I like living in military housing because I'm not worrying about paying rent, electric, water, etc. Before we PCS'd here we were in Norfolk living off base. Our apartment was $700 a month and our BAH was $1400 a month... so it was much better for us to not live on base.

We started from scratch. The only thing we had was a bed frame.

We share 1 car. It works for us because if I know I need the car on a certain day, I just take him to work. That's why I like having my own business because I don't have a schedule I have to stick to.

Budgeting. We are getting better at it, but it's still a struggle.

Wifey to Moonbeam0328 and SoldiersKitten

6. Senior Member

New Question: When finally moving in together, did you both or one of you or neither of have money saved up? If so. . how much?
  7. aka karinaaahhh!
    aka karinaaahhh!
    Are you both working?
    Both of us are working, its always been that way. I cant imagine not working, it would drive me up the wall. Also I would feel super guilty if I didn't put my degree to good use after all it took me to earn it.

Are you on or off base, if you are on base?
    We've never lived on base- DH is super adamant about because he doesnt "want to live where he works"

When you eventually moved up to meet him, did you bring your furniture with you and or did he bring his own?
    As college grads, we just started from scratch. Primarily because we had been living with the parents, dorms & college apartments up til that point.

I have my car & he has his car & motorcycle. Our schedules are WAAAAAY too different to be able to share one vehicle.

I think the toughest thing for us was that I am a "messy but organized person" & DH is SUPER organized & neat. But after a while we adjusted to each others needs, necessities and habits & its worked out pretty good.

As far as the financial situation goes, I'm super independent so although we have a few joint accounts, I also keep my separate accounts for whatever I want/like/need. Its no biggie, I just like to keep my fun money aside

Moving in with someone is never easy. Especially when its someone you see a future with. Be flexible & open-minded to any situations you may encounter and after a couple of days/weeks you'll start adjusting and making it work out. GL w/ everything!!

AwwSnail is my ducky
    SpaceHedgehog is my slipper twin!!
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think I had around $2500 saved up. He had some savings but he was also carrying a $5K balance on his credit card!

Of course we had talked about it before we got married, but I was like, that is not ok! We need to pay this off!

We paid it off within the year but I always thought of it as like, balancing out my savings with debt.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    At this time, we are both employed, full-time, outside the home. We also have DH's pension and VA disability incomes. Our income took a fairly large hit when he retired, that was compounded when the first job he had post-retirement ended in a lay-off. He has just recently started the job he has now and it is helping immensley with our financial situation.

As DH is retired, not really a question for us at this time - we live in our own home. We did, though, do both on and off base living while he was AD and I didn't see a significant cost or benefit to either over the other.

DH was 29 years old and several duty stations into being on his own when we married. I had already established my own life/home for my daughter and I a that point as well. We each had household goods, furniture, etc that we brought into our first home together and didn't need to purchase anything

We have two vehicles. At this time, though, we are fortunate enough to be able to commute together 90% of the time.

As a blended family, we had the added issues of DH adjusting to being a parent and husband all at once, DD adjusting to the n ew life and family and blending three families, not just two, post marriage (in regards to DD and her bio-dad and their relationship, DH, etc).
  10. Senior Member

Me and DB aren't engaged or married yet but this would be where we would stand financially when/if we do become engaged/married...

After DB's army contract is up he will either go to college or pursue work as a journeyman. A few months after his contract up I will (hopefullly) have graduated with my BSN and can work as a nurse. I think pursuing your career/education dreams is important.

I don't have a lot of furniture worth keeping and other than electronics and things he is the same. So basically we would start off from scratch.

I own my own car. DB owns 2 motorcycles and a truck. He also has access to a car his family lets him borrow.

If/when me and DB get married I've discussed with my mom (a financial consultant ) about what we would do money-wise. She suggested creating a his/hers accounts and a joint account. You save by percentages to be fair also. For example if I would make $100 in a paycheck and DB made $1000, we would take 10% from each of our paychecks to pay for bills. So I would pay $10 and he would pay $100. I also highly recommend looking into Dave Ramsey, Suzie Orman, and all those other financial gurus
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast