Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Gov. Shut Down Financial Advice/Tips

  1. The LDR that never ends..
    ArmyGirlfriend-x's Avatar
    ArmyGirlfriend-x is offline
    The LDR that never ends..
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    IA/UT
    Posts
    6,466
    #1

    Exclamation Gov. Shut Down Financial Advice/Tips

    Advertisements
    okay so there's tons of talk about a shut down and yes we will be getting royally screwed. But Im just sick of bitching and complaining (for me anyway) Im ready to take action and try to help everyone. No matter what could happen and if it does we cant reverse the damage that will be done.

    SO the point of this thread is to help each other out with ideas or advice on how you save money or what you are planning to do if we go without pay.

    I'll start:
    -I clip coupons and price match and try to plan meals based off whats on sale and what I have a coupon for.
    --You can get coupons from the Sunday paper, free online, pay for it online, or calling the manufacturerer number on the back of the package (do this asap as it may take a bit to get those mailed to you)

    -If need be and if you have the credit and no savings take out a loan, or use your credit card (assuming its not maxed, lol).

    -Keep the lights off when you can to save on your electric bill, unplug electronics when they are not in use as they still drain electricity this includes the tv, your cell charger, microwaves and small kitchen appliances. You can also cut down your water bill by putting this thing in the back of your tank so it uses less water (does anyone know what its called? Its slipping my mind atm)

    -Maybe consider shutting down cable/internet for the month as a just in case measure, this could save you a lot of money. Or shorten your cell phone plan to not include the extra data package (if you have verizon this could save you $30). Or you can call and see if they can give you any special offers, my Dad has called threatning to cancel and they always counter offer with a lower rate or a better deal.

    -Shop at the Good Will, Salvation Army, Craigslist and Yard Sales. Perhaps clean out your closet and try to sell some stuff you no longer need/use.


    So how do you save or cut corners?

    From the Examiner
    Where to go to get help:
    http://www.examiner.com/military-mar...nment-shutdown
    Last edited by ArmyGirlfriend-x; 04-08-2011 at 04:39 PM.
  2. Mombie.
    Jensscrnnm's Avatar
    Jensscrnnm is offline
    Mombie.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,011
    #2
    Here's my question though, I've seen a lot of people say they will cut cable/internet, etc. Won't there be fees associated with that? If so, it doesn't make a lot of sense to that that.

    (I think this is a great thread though! )



  3. Banned
    AylaWayla89's Avatar
    AylaWayla89 is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    arizona.
    Posts
    9,002
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen113007 View Post
    Here's my question though, I've seen a lot of people say they will cut cable/internet, etc. Won't there be fees associated with that? If so, it doesn't make a lot of sense to that that.
    you mean fees to disconnect cable and internet?
  4. The LDR that never ends..
    ArmyGirlfriend-x's Avatar
    ArmyGirlfriend-x is offline
    The LDR that never ends..
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    IA/UT
    Posts
    6,466
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen113007 View Post
    Here's my question though, I've seen a lot of people say they will cut cable/internet, etc. Won't there be fees associated with that? If so, it doesn't make a lot of sense to that that.

    (I think this is a great thread though! )
    I think it depends on your plan, like maybe it costs you $30 to shut down but then you dont have to pay the $80 for the month? I know there's fee's to turn it back on but its an easy thing to cut (to me though). When my sister had to cut corners they turned off cable/internet. Then they just got internet through Cricket which was way cheaper. Now that they are a little more stable they just turned it back on and got a nice deal.
    If anything you could just call them and say hey I want to shut it down I cant afford it, and they might counter offer with a better deal! We got $30 a month off our bill for 6 months after we did this.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    jellybeanerr's Avatar
    jellybeanerr is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    8,140
    Blog Entries
    1

    #5
    I think you could temporarily suspend it for a smaller fee? Thats something you should call the company and see if they will work with you on.
  6. Mombie.
    Jensscrnnm's Avatar
    Jensscrnnm is offline
    Mombie.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,011
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by aylarose View Post
    you mean fees to disconnect cable and internet?
    Yup.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyGirlfriend-x View Post
    I think it depends on your plan, like maybe it costs you $30 to shut down but then you dont have to pay the $80 for the month? I know there's fee's to turn it back on but its an easy thing to cut (to me though). When my sister had to cut corners they turned off cable/internet. Then they just got internet through Cricket which was way cheaper. Now that they are a little more stable they just turned it back on and got a nice deal.
    If anything you could just call them and say hey I want to shut it down I cant afford it, and they might counter offer with a better deal! We got $30 a month off our bill for 6 months after we did this.
    We tried to shut down cable the other month for moving and they tried to hit us with hundreds of dollars in fees. Granted, this is a much different situation so I was curious.

    If cable companies are willing to work with people during this, then it's a really great idea. And you are right, $30 compared to $80 is a big deal.



  7. Banned
    AylaWayla89's Avatar
    AylaWayla89 is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    arizona.
    Posts
    9,002
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanerr View Post
    I think you could temporarily suspend it for a smaller fee? Thats something you should call the company and see if they will work with you on.
    you can. suspending an account doesnt cost money though. does it?
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    jellybeanerr's Avatar
    jellybeanerr is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    8,140
    Blog Entries
    1

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by aylarose View Post
    you can. suspending an account doesnt cost money though. does it?
    Im pretty sure it doesnt...but I'm not 100% so I said small price..dont judge me
  9. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    LoveMikeyBear's Avatar
    LoveMikeyBear is offline
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    25,417
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen113007 View Post
    Here's my question though, I've seen a lot of people say they will cut cable/internet, etc. Won't there be fees associated with that? If so, it doesn't make a lot of sense to that that.

    (I think this is a great thread though! )
    For us the fee is greater then our monthly bill(we only pay about 15 bucks a month for internet and don't have cable. The direction fee I was quoted is closer to 200 last I asked witch was just last month. So I WISH is was only like 30 bucks I'd do it. It'll cost more to cancel then to just keep it... )
    Signature removed due to size.
  10. The LDR that never ends..
    ArmyGirlfriend-x's Avatar
    ArmyGirlfriend-x is offline
    The LDR that never ends..
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    IA/UT
    Posts
    6,466
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen113007 View Post
    Yup.



    We tried to shut down cable the other month for moving and they tried to hit us with hundreds of dollars in fees. Granted, this is a much different situation so I was curious.

    If cable companies are willing to work with people during this, then it's a really great idea. And you are right, $30 compared to $80 is a big deal.
    I think they would be wiling to work but I cant say that for sure. You could always call and ask for any special offers or say you just cant afford it. It does depend on your company and your plan.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •