Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Like a Version - the Best Covers

1. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"

Like a Version - the Best Covers

Advertisements
    There are some songs that get recorded by band after band after band. For some of them, the cover artist gets more credit than the original! In the knowledge that without entirely meaning to I’ve listened to an awful lot of covers in the last few days...

What’s your favourite cover? Who do you think did the best job with someone else’s song, and why?

For me, it’s a cover of Throw Your Arms Around Me. At least five bands that I know of have done this song (the best known cover is probably Eddie Vedder with Pearl Jam) but the original is by Hunters & Collectors, off the album Human Frailty.

The cover in question is very special.

You see, there was this comedy group. Tim Ferguson, Paul McDermott, Richard Fidler formed this group called the Doug Anthony All Stars. They were manic, they were crass, they were anarchy on legs. A song called “I Fuck Dogs” which was exactly what it says on the tin. Lengthy debates about the fun you could have with necrophilia. You probably don’t want to know what they did to the Mikado!

Among all this complete lack of giving a shit, it turned out they could actually sing. On the rare occasions they took themselves seriously, they could somehow do this...

Tim on the left. Paul in the middle, hitting the high notes. Richard on the right with the guitar. It sounds like there are a lot more than three of them.
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Necrophilia is with dead people, not live dogs!

I don't really listen to much music any more. But I love a lot of the covers on The Voice. Sadly. They are all covers.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Necrophilia is with dead people, not live dogs!

I don't really listen to much music any more. But I love a lot of the covers on The Voice. Sadly. They are all covers.
    ¿Por qué no los dos?

Here’s an interesting one. A band called the Cat Empire once covered Hotel California (as in the Eagles classic) in very bad French. I know for a fact they were still scribbling down the translation on a receipt five minutes before they recorded it, all crammed into the back of a taxi.

They also did a very fun take on Paul Kelly's Dumb Things
  4. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Husband is a morbid asshole, so this is his favourite thing in the world.

The original song is A Walk in the Light Green by Red Gum, off their Caught in the Act album. He sings the original to the kids a lot, because as noted he is a morbid asshole.

The rap cover is by the Herd and uses the title everyone knows the original song by, I Was Only Nineteen. It IS a good cover, and an interesting one because it manages to fit the original song into it.