Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr Who

1. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.

Dr Who

Advertisements
    So... after hearing so much about the show, I finally decided to take the plunge, and try it.

I had heard that the 10th (11th? I am confused by the counting) Doctor, played by David Tennant, is very popular, so I figured I'll start with him, series 2. I was familiar enough with the idea, what with hanging around here for 3 years, so I didn't really need much introduction to the Tardis, or the sonic screwdriver, or whole dying/regenerating in a new body thing...

Watched the first episode... went "Hmmm." Watched the second episode... went "Hmmm... well, actually, not too bad." I am not really sure if I am sold on it, but seeing as it is such a cult show, I will give it a couple more. But I wanted to ask...

Why do you love Dr Who (if you do, obviously)? Why should I keep watching? And will my geek credentials be revoked if I fail to fall in love with it...?
  2. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

Why does everyone seem to skip Nine?! I LOVE Nine.

I haven't watched in a quite awhile cuz I dislike Moffat, but if you don't like no is gonna take your geek card lol.
  3. 021409<3
    021409<3
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooUnicorn! View Post
    Why does everyone seem to skip Nine?! I LOVE Nine.

I haven't watched in a quite awhile cuz I dislike Moffat, but if you don't like no is gonna take your geek card lol.
    Agreed! Plus the time spent getting to know Rose in the first series just makes you love her that much more in the second when she's with Tennant.

Anyway as far as why I love the show, it's hard to explain. I just do. You fall in love with the Doctor and his companions, you root for them and you cry for them when they leave. The show just has such HEART. It's exciting, powerful, humorous. I might be just a little obsessed with it lol but I can't help it, it's just amazing. You definitely don't lose your "geek credentials" though if you don't happen to fall in love with it.
  4. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Ashley View Post
    Agreed! Plus the time spent getting to know Rose in the first series just makes you love her that much more in the second when she's with Tennant.

Anyway as far as why I love the show, it's hard to explain. I just do. You fall in love with the Doctor and his companions, you root for them and you cry for them when they leave. The show just has such HEART. It's exciting, powerful, humorous. I might be just a little obsessed with it lol but I can't help it, it's just amazing. You definitely don't lose your "geek credentials" though if you don't happen to fall in love with it.
    I love her!!!!!!!!!
  5. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.
    I... actually have no idea why I skipped him. I mean, I skipped the first 8 too, so I figured Tennant seems to be much loved...

I am not sure how I feel about Moffat. I watch Sherlock too, and love it, except the female characters. I think Moffat cannot write a strong female to save his life. Anyway, he writes from the next Doctor on, no?
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think you needed to start with the first doctor then move on to tom baker. Then you can watch the modern series.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Oh, and city of death was written by Douglas Adams, and has john clease in it.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    I think you needed to start with the first doctor then move on to tom baker. Then you can watch the modern series.
    I started with the first modern doctor (9th Doctor), and that was a great way for me to get into it. I'm currently in season 7. Once I am all caught up, I will start with Classic Doctor Who.

I love it, because each character is well developed. I'm always entertained. I laugh out loud. I cry. I talk to the TV. I've never seen a bad episode. Plus, my DH grew up watching it and is a huge Whovian. I started watching it with him this fall, and it's our thing

PS- you haven't yet met River Song. She's a strong female Rose Tyler is an awesome companion. I didn't like Martha very much, so just keep watching through that season. It gets better!
  9. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

Start with the ninth doctor! Everyone seems to skip him for some reason. The 10th doctor (David Tennant) is my favorite, followed by the 11th doctor (Matt Smith). I'm actually rewatching a few episodes now Classic Doctor Who is a little slow, but it picks up a little bit as the show gets further in.
  10. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I love it because it's clever. The dialogue and the characters and stuff. The Doctor and his companions have really good chemistry.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast