Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackfish

1. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Blackfish

Advertisements
    Did anyone watch this yet? I just saw it on netflix today and watched it.

Blackfish (2013) - IMDb
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I watched it a few days ago. I get extremely triggered by animal abuse (I'm not sure why, nothing related happened in my past) and so it was really difficult for me.
  3. Senior Member
    I watched it today on netflix. I cried. A lot I think it's something everyone should see though.
  4. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I watched it a few days ago. I get extremely triggered by animal abuse (I'm not sure why, nothing related happened in my past) and so it was really difficult for me.
    I was pretty shocked to learn just how many/often trainers are injured or killed in/around the whales. I mean, I don't watch the news and I don't read it and I'm probably a bit naive but I was pretty shocked and saddened over it.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I want to watch it, but I'm kind of scared to. I don't like to see animals suffering or being mistreated.
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    I was pretty shocked to learn just how many/often trainers are injured or killed in/around the whales. I mean, I don't watch the news and I don't read it and I'm probably a bit naive but I was pretty shocked and saddened over it.
    I was too. I remember when Dawn was killed in 2010, and I remember hearing the same whale had killed previously, but all the other incidents are just piled up and it's shocking when you see it like that. I was astounded by the video of the man who stayed calm and stroked the whale who kept dragging him down. I was also surprised, because for some reason I thought the trainers were whale scientists. Completely nave of me. I can completely understand the trainer who said he stayed because even though he knew what was going on was wrong for the whales, he felt compelled to keep coming and doing whatever he could for Tilikum. I mostly feel so sad for the whales
  7. Senior Member
    I watched it and then used the topic as the topic for my research paper for english.
  8. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I was too. I remember when Dawn was killed in 2010, and I remember hearing the same whale had killed previously, but all the other incidents are just piled up and it's shocking when you see it like that. I was astounded by the video of the man who stayed calm and stroked the whale who kept dragging him down. I was also surprised, because for some reason I thought the trainers were whale scientists. Completely nave of me. I can completely understand the trainer who said he stayed because even though he knew what was going on was wrong for the whales, he felt compelled to keep coming and doing whatever he could for Tilikum. I mostly feel so sad for the whales
    Me too! I was really shocked by that guy. He was pretty amazing. I had thought or would have thought that most of the trainers would've/should've been trained that way but i also get that in the situation, it could/would be hard to stay calm!

I do remember hearing about her being killed but I never looked fully into it. Just figured something weird or something happened.

Quote Originally Posted by cassadilla View Post
    I watched it and then used the topic as the topic for my research paper for english.
    Nice!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Saw it last night, I don't really get the hype. I don't understand when people attach human emotion to a living creature but many of those people then go off and eat a burger, fish stick, or other such animal. I just don't get the concept of picking and choosing an animal and declaring it of more value than another. I have no problems with meat-eating or zoos or SeaWorld, I just wish there was more honesty about the realities of how we interact with other creatures.

There were some horrific things that no creature should have been put through, but it seems pretty obvious that a whale in captivity isn't the best option and physically interacting with such a large creature is inherently dangerous. It was my interpretation that much of the negativity came from practices 30+ years ago. I am sure some of those questionable practices are probably still normalized, but a lot of things have evolved during that time. The documentary's spin on the issue was clear by offered no viable solutions. A cut in comment about a large ocean pen for that many captive whales isn't very realistic.

To me the movie stirred the pot and then walk away to watch the fallout. I don't think SeaWorld is evil or bad. I also don't think limiting trainer interaction during shows is a bad thing. I believe the park can take this opportunity to show how they are doing better and intend to go further on animal care and education netting a positive outcome for everyone in general.
  10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I added it to my queue yesterday. I haven't had a chance to sit and watch without the girls up though.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast