Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Where was I Am Legend's message coming from?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Left

1 3.45%
  • The Right

1 3.45%
  • There is no political message

20 68.97%
  • Other!

7 24.14%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SPOILER CAUTION: Only click if you saw the movie!] I Am Legend - Msg from the Left?

1. Trophy Wife in Training
    Trophy Wife in Training

Question [SPOILER CAUTION: Only click if you saw the movie!] I Am Legend - Msg from the Left?

Advertisements
    Did anyone else sense a left-ish message in I Am Legend?

It kind of irritated me. I felt like it was promoting isolationism/pacifism/etc. As if they're saying, if you keep getting wrapped up in these international (i.e. terrorist) conflicts, we're all gonna die!

I was confused as to how the virus actually spread. Was there a dirty bomb or some sort of biological terrorist attack?

Regardless of this technicality, it depicted what the media has said about bio-terrorism. How such a disaster would cripple any city, that no city is really prepared to deal with it.

The initial site of the spread was NYC. It's also referred to as Ground Zero several times. What better setting to use to allude to terrorism? That really hits home to every American who sees the movie. It's our national 'soft spot' in a sense. Thank you Hollywood, for your exploitation

What was the date of the cure's discovery? I know it was September something, but can't recall the day and year. I think maybe 09/09/11? Coincidental? I think not.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I thought everyone got this vaccine against cancer and it turned deadly?

The politics just went way over my head if they were there, lol
  3. Banned
    Banned
    It spread because it "made the jump" from a contact contagion to airborne. It was only transmitted through open wounds, but had mutated to be airborne like the flu.

I actually saw it as a warning of some sort, not sure left/right. I interpreted it as we are so eager and anxious to find the "miracle cure" to horrible things like cancer, terrorism, racism, etc., that we are blind to the consequences it might bring about.

As we were walking out of the theater, I told NYF that something like that (maybe minus the dark seekers) could actually happen. Think about it, soon as there is some brand new beauty injection like Botox, or diet pill like Fen-Fen, people jump to use it, without allowing years of scientific and medical research to happen to make sure it won't kill people. KWIM? I could SO see everyone jumping to get injected with a miracle cure for cancer.

The year he was alone was 2012, so the miracle cure had destroyed everything in 2009.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Tawny, what does NYF mean? lol
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijus View Post
    Tawny, what does NYF mean? lol
    Not Yet Fiance
  6. Senior Member
    If there was a political message I totally missed it.
  7. Trophy Wife in Training
    Trophy Wife in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijus View Post
    I thought everyone got this vaccine against cancer and it turned deadly?
    Yes I think that's how it played out... But then why wasn't this 'side effect' caught in the numerous years of clinical trials a vaccine has to go through before mass distribution Maybe we got too eager to cure cancer, so the FDA let stuff slide. Or a major pharm. company secretly run by terrorists poured tons of money into the vaccine's research/tests and bribery...

Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    It spread because it "made the jump" from a contact contagion to airborne. It was only transmitted through open wounds, but had mutated to be airborne like the flu.

I actually saw it as a warning of some sort, not sure left/right. I interpreted it as we are so eager and anxious to find the "miracle cure" to horrible things like cancer, terrorism, racism, etc., that we are blind to the consequences it might bring about.

As we were walking out of the theater, I told NYF that something like that (maybe minus the dark seekers) could actually happen. Think about it, soon as there is some brand new beauty injection like Botox, or diet pill like Fen-Fen, people jump to use it, without allowing years of scientific and medical research to happen to make sure it won't kill people. KWIM? I could SO see everyone jumping to get injected with a miracle cure for cancer.

The year he was alone was 2012, so the miracle cure had destroyed everything in 2009.
    Yes there was some sort of mutation that made the virus (KV?) resistant to treatment. Hmm.... MRSA, anyone?

The dark seekers were a little overdone They could've chilled out on the whole psycho-computerized-zombie bit.

I'm no FDA expert, but doesn't everything have to go through some sort of extensive process before it's on the shelf? Or can things be on the shelf without being FDA approved? (i.e. TrimSpa--was that FDA approved?) In Europe and other places overseas they don't have the FDA to slow down the production & distribution of new stuff, it's easier for people to get their hands on. Perhaps the movie would've been better set in Paris?
  8. Trophy Wife in Training
    Trophy Wife in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    Not Yet Fiance
    I was wondering the same thing myself!!
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Anything can go on the shelf. Most of the vitamin suppliments aren't FDA approved. Diet pills, most aren't FDA approved. They just can't be prescription without. And they can't pretend to be approved, if they're not.

They did tests, and animal tests, and human testing, but if you look at some of the aftereffects of the Atom bombs dropped in Japan in WWII, NOBODY knew that was going to happen (which wasn't medicine, but they still didn't research that for long enough either).

In fact, a lot of times, the last people who get tested for experimental drugs is the military. And there have been PLENTY of times the FDA has noticed awful side effects coming up after a 10 year incubation in the body, so they recall drugs for that, too. Like, aspirin was approved LONG before they found out it can cause stomach damage in a lot of people, and it was almost recalled because of that damage.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Julianne View Post
    Yes I think that's how it played out... But then why wasn't this 'side effect' caught in the numerous years of clinical trials a vaccine has to go through before mass distribution Maybe we got too eager to cure cancer, so the FDA let stuff slide. Or a major pharm. company secretly run by terrorists poured tons of money into the vaccine's research/tests and bribery...

I'm no FDA expert, but doesn't everything have to go through some sort of extensive process before it's on the shelf? Or can things be on the shelf without being FDA approved? (i.e. TrimSpa--was that FDA approved?) In Europe and other places overseas they don't have the FDA to slow down the production & distribution of new stuff, it's easier for people to get their hands on. Perhaps the movie would've been better set in Paris?

Very true, however, there are some things that may have side effects YEARS down the road, kwim? Like as an example, who was to say that the female body wouldn't have slowly disintegrated silicone implants in like 20 years? So you get them in 2000 and by 2020, your boobs have dissolved. FDA researches things before they hit the shelf, but there's no telling really how something will mutate, adapt, or grow over a lifetime.

ETA: You mentioned Europe, and if you remember, the Dr. that "discovered" the miracle cure was from the UK.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast