Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What are the chances of Clinton start war if she becomes president?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I understand. There are going to be PLENTY of times when you will read something you don’t like. That’s forum life for you! You can address it or ignore it, whichever you prefer, but you can’t break TOS.

You got a lot of good answers so I really wouldn’t let the other ones get to you.
    thank you!! I did get a lot of good answers and should ignore the ones I don't know how to respond with
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    to the bolded: calling what you're ASKING (ie not you) ridiculous does actually kind of make sense in this scenario. No one can predict if/when Russia will declare war or if it is more or less likely if Clinton is elected. War is not always avoidable so we shouldn't make decisions for our country (who will run it) based off fear of what another country might do. Also the lolwat comment was after you started calling people dicks....so that was fitting also kind of like what the fuck happened to this thread and where did that come from type of response.
    It's 2016 I see the most ridiculous articles and rumors online and my boyfriend knows a lot about this issue- and he's obviously not here to reassure me. You're right, no one can predict what will happen but these candidates and this election does not help. I was too quick to think that people were coming at me rather than what I had asked. I definitely didn't word it how I should have, like I said, the crazy things I read online make me anxious but I shouldn't let it all get to me until something or somebody takes action. thanks!!
  3. Senior Member
    no one was looking down on you. But, it is pretty easy to do a google search and find the candidates positions regarding international affairs or news stories related to the current state of international relations. This board is made up (relatively) normal people, we don't have a crystal ball.

This WSJ article looks pretty handy.

Where They Stand on Foreign Policy Issues - WSJ.com

The Russian relationship with the U.S is complicated, but an all-out war is probably unlikely. We both have nukes, no one wants to go down that road.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfm7 View Post
    My boyfriend is in week 8 of army basic training about to go to AIT and the election scares me because there are rumors of Russia declaring war if Hillary becomes president. I do not know which way to go when voting in this election but all I know is I care about my future with him and the thought of anything close to ww3 scares the hell out of me. I'm only 19 and I do know that the military is obviously not a generally safe job but I need some reassurance and advice about what I've been seeing on the news and online because this is my first presidential election, I happened to get the worst possible election year.
    hm how so?

I didn't expect to get any replies on this at all but thanks for everyone who's giving me informative answers cause i'm genuinely worried even if I didn't have someone in the military this presidential election scares me! thank you like i'm new to this i'm not starting a politic argument on here with anyone considering this isn't what this site is for.
    [Edited by the OP to take out her calling people dicks.]

Me too! I don't agree with either of the candidates and its unfortunate that this got this far.
    I suppose so! And I am, I have a life. This website is new to me and I figured I would come here for advice on something that was bugging me in my head (:
    Did I make it seem like on that post that I agreed/disagreed about anyones opinion? Because I don't and I understand that what I had said may have not been straightforward enough and I appreciate everything everyone has to say. Sorry, just acknowledging the people who gave me answers that gave me clarity on what I had asked (:
    My profile allows profanity so I don't necessarily care if I'm reported or liked but thank you for your opinion. I'm not a mean person I just don't like when I feel like I'm being belittled by someone over a computer screen when I'm trying to be genuine and seek help from the only source of help that I have in this difficult transition in my life. I didn't mean to offend anyone, just a newbie looking for some clarity.
    Thanks for letting me know, this is only my second thread so I wasn't aware of what wasn't allowed. I actually read every reply and they were all very informative but one or two seemed like I was being portrayed as a lesser person than everyone else who posts threads on here. Like I said, I wasn't straight forward so I might have sounded confusing but to call me ridiculous or just say lolwat as a reply to this doesn't help or comply with the advice I was seeking
    That's why i edited my post cause it was rude of me and I shouldn't have generalized everyone who took their time to respond to me. Yes I actually would call someone a nasty name in person who I felt like was offending me or belittling me, that's just how I am as a person which I should probs work on. As the person I am, I can also recognize my mistakes and own up to it. I did get very defensive very quickly but on a forum like this, where everyone is undergoing similar circumstance and situations, I should be more conscientious of what I post on here. Thank you for recognizing I am young and struggling so my quickest form of defense isn't always the right one. Everyone is on this forum for the same reasons as I am so I appreciate and respect everyone on here very much.
    I said I should work on how I act- I didn't say how I responded was okay. With all due respect I don't need a life lesson over the Internet over someone that I don't know, I would much rather have this conversation personally in my inbox than over a forum that has unnecessarily escalated due to my poor mannerism. Like I said, I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else here cause everyone is here because they care about the military life just as I do and how I acted was very wrong in an inappropriate environment to do so.
    I get it! I'm new here, I definitely don't have a place to be saying those kinds of things.
    thank you!! I did get a lot of good answers and should ignore the ones I don't know how to respond with
    It's 2016 I see the most ridiculous articles and rumors online and my boyfriend knows a lot about this issue- and he's obviously not here to reassure me. You're right, no one can predict what will happen but these candidates and this election does not help. I was too quick to think that people were coming at me rather than what I had asked. I definitely didn't word it how I should have, like I said, the crazy things I read online make me anxious but I shouldn't let it all get to me until something or somebody takes action. thanks!!
    I've quoted all your posts in this thread, SFM7. Since you are new and didn't take time to learn the board culture, you should know that deleting or heavily editing posts is really frowned up. It's not against the rules, but it is considered very rude, among other things. Own your words. Also, it's often pointless, because once you are quoted (as your post was when it still had the "dick" reference), everyone can still read what you said because your edit doesn't change the quotes.

As for your original question, the president doesn't actually have the power to declare war. There are some enhances (sending troops with a declared war, and the War Powers Act, for starters) but those are probably only interesting to political wonks (like me!). But something like WWIII would almost certainly need to be a formally declared war, which requires congressional approval, not just the President's impulse.

Hillary is more hawkish (prone to foreign intervention, basically) than I'd like. No one really knows where Trump stands on many of these issues, or how his approaches and attitudes could affect or inspire foreign countries. I would say there is roughly 0% chance of a full scale world war, however, regardless of who wins.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234