1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    Reserves=not getting paid?

I want all of them!!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzski722 View Post
    Reserves=not getting paid?
    It was posted about before. You could scroll through and search for it. I believe it said that Reservists who are not activated will not get paid.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    As I said, I do see the unfairness.

I look at furloughs (or the de factor furloughs this is creating) like any other job where hours are cute. It's horrible for the person to whom it is happening, and I in no way minimize that. When hours are cut, people suffer, and that is what's happening here. I'll admit that I don't understand why no one rails against the unreasonableness of it when it is GM or McDonald's cutting hours though, but in this situation, some people expect the government to pay for time not worked.

Layoff suck. Cutting hours sucks. And that is what's happening here, and like with any other employer that curs hours, that pay will never be made up and those people will be out that reduced income.
    i dont see this and layoffs or hours being as being the same thing at all. yes being laid off sucks but its a done deal its a decision, right now federal employees are just in limbo where we could be called back at anytime. there is no certainty in the decision. as for the hours being cut i dont think most companies ever cut ALL of a persons hours without firing them, they get 20 or 30 or something so atleast the get some sort of pay check. all of our hours have been cut.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    the Cg has cancelled all non-essential drills for the duration of the shut down. All I can find is for the other DOD reserves ( Navy, Air force ect) they will be fully operational, for state funded reserves I cannot find any info one way or the other.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    As I said, I do see the unfairness.

I look at furloughs (or the de factor furloughs this is creating) like any other job where hours are cute. It's horrible for the person to whom it is happening, and I in no way minimize that. When hours are cut, people suffer, and that is what's happening here. I'll admit that I don't understand why no one rails against the unreasonableness of it when it is GM or McDonald's cutting hours though, but in this situation, some people expect the government to pay for time not worked.

Layoff suck. Cutting hours sucks. And that is what's happening here, and like with any other employer that curs hours, that pay will never be made up and those people will be out that reduced income.
    I am not sure the furloughs resulting from the govt. shutdown can be compared to a private company laying off workers due to cut backs.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Blondie* View Post
    i dont see this and layoffs or hours being as being the same thing at all. yes being laid off sucks but its a done deal its a decision, right now federal employees are just in limbo where we could be called back at anytime. there is no certainty in the decision. as for the hours being cut i dont think most companies ever cut ALL of a persons hours without firing them, they get 20 or 30 or something so atleast the get some sort of pay check. all of our hours have been cut.
    Not true. When my dad was laid off from his previous job it was exactly like that. They said they would call when they could afford to pay him for his work. He didn't get ANY hours. I don't know if it was because he was oart of a union but his layoff was very similar to these furloughs that are happening. And yes it did pretty much just happen out of nowhere.
  7. Wait...what?
    Wait...what?
    Quote Originally Posted by *Blondie* View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HerAirmansLove View Post
    Not true. When my dad was laid off from his previous job it was exactly like that. They said they would call when they could afford to pay him for his work. He didn't get ANY hours. I don't know if it was because he was oart of a union but his layoff was very similar to these furloughs that are happening. And yes it did pretty much just happen out of nowhere.
    This happens to my dad as well annually. He works in construction and being in Michigan we have a long winter and he can't work. His boss lays off everyone in the company and calls them when he has a job for them. He could get a call to work for three days or two weeks. It is totally random and unexpected. The dates of the layoffs every winter change depending on current contracts and the weather.

The furloughs are incredibly similar to the layoffs many people experience in Michigan between the large amount of construction workers and the auto-industry. Its a phone call from your boss saying I'm sorry we have to lay you off, don't come in tomorrow and we will call you when we need you back, much like HerAirmansLove said. It's not just a union thing either, my dad isn't in a union, it's just how layoffs work.

People who are furloughed or laid off get ZERO hours and therefore ZERO pay. This is 400,000 people who are now without a job, just in the DoD! (according to the CNN link I posted below) That is 400,000 families with either less money coming in or no money coming in at all for single pay check families. It's also not just the DoD that faces these furloughs. NASA, the EPA, the Departments of Commerce, Labor, Interior, Treasury Energy and so many more people have now lost their jobs because of this. A job loss, temporary or not, can be devastating financially for families.

I have seen how massive layoffs affect cities first hand. At first it's just the people who were laid off. Then as someone mentioned earlier, people aren't going out to lunch with their work friends, or out to the bar for a drink after work or out to dinner to celebrate a birthday. If you want a real world and real time example of how badly massive layoffs can affect a state, look at Michigan. In 2009, roughly 6,000 people were laid off from the auto companies in Detroit. The economy in Detroit is STILL struggling four years later. Now imagine how much devastation this round or national furloughs can cause for our country.

I have two links that have specific numbers for how many people were furloughed today.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...down.html?_r=0

Government shutdown: What's closed, what's open?

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."
    — Dr. Seuss
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112