Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help - Germany Rotation

1. Senior Member

Help - Germany Rotation

Advertisements
    My husband is in Germany for a rotation. He called me to tell me I need to go to T-Mobile and have them unlock his iphone so that he can buy a German chip/plan to put in it while he's there so he can have talk/text/internet. We suspended his service the day he left because it was useless.. However, T-Mobile is stating all they have to do is take the chip out and replace it with a german chip? But he said that isn't all and they had to unlock something inside the phone? I have been unable to speak with him since he called to let me know I needed to do this.. and Tmobile isn't being very helpful with this.. Any insight? Thank you.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm sorry, I don't know about a chip? But I do know that T-Mobile has really good international plans that you could add on? Between me and DF, weve been in Mexico, France, and Scotland, and always just use our T-Mobile plan. I cant remember the details, but it might be 10 or 20 extra a month for unlimited everything international.

Sorry I don't have any more specifics for you, hope you're able to figure it out soon
  3. Moderator

Questions:
    Is the plan he is trying to activate in Germany a T-Mobile (or Deutsche Telekom) plan?
    Did he originally purchase his iPhone through T-Mobile USA?

The ONLY scenario I would think would make it possible for him to change SIM cards without unlocking would be if he is switching to a DT plan, AND they have an agreement with Apple that allows that since they're the parent company... OR if he got his iPhone elsewhere originally and it's already unlocked. If none of that is the case, the customer service folks are simply incorrect. I would ask to be transferred to a tech support representative, because they are generally more thoroughly trained on things that go beyond basic account maintenance and service plans. T-Mobile's android devices have an unlock app pre-loaded, but I'm fairly certain their iPhones do not.
  4. Senior Member
    Sorry it took so long to respond, we ended up just putting him on the T-Mobile international -> stateside plan. We couldn't find another way to do it.. Wish the T-Mobile company would have told us this when we gave them his orders to suspend the service! Thanks for the help.