Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: The count down

1. Senior Member

Question The count down

Advertisements
    Hey Ladies!
    This is me and DHs first deployment. Neither of us know what to expect, but we're getting through it.
    If this is not supposed to be posted please please delete this post. I don't want to get anyone in trouble. BUT the soldiers DH is with all have different flight dates to go overseas. If they are saying the deployment will last 9 months how do they count to month 9? Is it by the date, when the fist solider leaves or the month or what?

Like if they leave the US in April (not the real month) the 9 months would be December. So is the countdown until December 31? I hope this is making sense, I don't really know how to ask this question. I'm not looking for exact dates, just estimates.
  2. Senior Member
    Each dates are different....you can do general months of when they return...normally i have gone by the date they left...so example...DH left on my daughters birthday and i just plugged in that same date so many months later...but that is always up to shift as even at the end we were getting a mixed number of dates. I have always gone with the date my husband leaves the house...but he has also been on a ship even when having to go to another state to meet the ship...i go with the day no more uniforms in the house.
  3. Senior Member
    With husband's deployment they have something called ADVON (a small group who gets sent before the main body). Those guys are coming back the same time as everyone else even though they got sent earlier. So the time doesn't start until the main body gets there, does that make sense?

4. Senior Member
    Generally "9 months" is just a rough estimate, so it sort of doesn't mean any of those things, or anything specific.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    With husband's deployment they have something called ADVON (a small group who gets sent before the main body). Those guys are coming back the same time as everyone else even though they got sent earlier. So the time doesn't start until the main body gets there, does that make sense?
    Yes, but from my understanding there is no "main body" getting sent. They are sending several guys each a few days apart throughout the month, So its broken up. Maybe it would start once everyone gets there.