Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cell phone coverage overseas

1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    Unlike many others, my guy is a land guy, no ships involved.
    Much more sand.
    Time before last he had his phone shut off shortly after he got "there". The calls on Verizon were just too costly so he used calling cards. (Whatever provider you pick, pick the same one.)
    Last year when he went back overseas we did it differently (different country). He kept the cell service on but we didn't use it except for emergency (as a phone), but when he had Wi-Fi we would use Google Hangouts or Skype. Hangouts worked a bit better but that is a very relative term. If we had 3 disconnects in 1 call it was a good day. He had both his phone and a laptop so we emailed when he has service. (Sometimes service is tolerable, other times, not.) The texts were like 50 cents each which doesn't sound like much but it really adds up when there are kids and parents and siblings trying to reach him.
    Due to my DH's particular work, Facebook is not really approved of, like at all. So, there is no Facebook account.

Not sure why your SO would want 2 phones on 2 providers. Maybe that is based on where he is going??
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    @idratherbehiking
    So you have an international plan and can text you regularly or call you if needed? I’m disengaging from Facebook, but I think I can still use-messenger. He uses that on a computer?
    He's using the T-Mobile One Plan: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3226 It's unlimited texts and data, but calls are $0.20/minute. That's why he uses messager and Whatsapp to call (both apps have video, voice call, and text).

ETA: the t-mobile plan has come in handy because there have been a lot of times when he can't get to Wi-Fi.
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 03-29-2018 at 10:02 AM.

3. Senior Member
    Hes going into some not so good areas. He wants to be able to text and call on his phone. Hes also taking a computer to skype if needed.
    You don't need a computer to Skype - DB uses his phone, he keeps it on airplane mode but as long as he is connected to wifi he can Skype on the app on his phone. I also have the Skype app on my phone so he can Skype me anytime, like if he stays up til 3am his time he can call me on my way home from work and the Skype call comes through my speakers (because of blue tooth) it works out well for us. He can also imessage me since we both have iphones if he's connected to wifi. he cannot send or receive to anyone who doesn't have an iphone though.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Also suspended DHs plan. He uses FB messenger and FaceTime in port. If you have Verizon, they have a new international plan that covers a ton of countries, but it's $10-$15 a day and you're only charged if you use data (even if you so much as open an app and immediately close it). IMO not worth it, but my friends DH had it and it came in handy when they were in wifi-shitty countries, but their bill was also astronomical.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeHappens View Post
    Unlike many others, my guy is a land guy, no ships involved.
    Much more sand.
    Time before last he had his phone shut off shortly after he got "there". The calls on Verizon were just too costly so he used calling cards. (Whatever provider you pick, pick the same one.)
    Last year when he went back overseas we did it differently (different country). He kept the cell service on but we didn't use it except for emergency (as a phone), but when he had Wi-Fi we would use Google Hangouts or Skype. Hangouts worked a bit better but that is a very relative term. If we had 3 disconnects in 1 call it was a good day. He had both his phone and a laptop so we emailed when he has service. (Sometimes service is tolerable, other times, not.) The texts were like 50 cents each which doesn't sound like much but it really adds up when there are kids and parents and siblings trying to reach him.
    Due to my DH's particular work, Facebook is not really approved of, like at all. So, there is no Facebook account.

Not sure why your SO would want 2 phones on 2 providers. Maybe that is based on where he is going??
    He wants to have options to be able to stay in contact with me. This is both of our first deployments and no one seems to be helping us along the way (besides you guys!) Am I allowed to list the countries he "could" be at? Basically, its the desert, the whole time... Everyone says he will have wifi, I am just so naive on how wifi works, what will be charged or not with text, calls, skype etc. Seems like there are a lot of options out there, just have to figure out what will work best for us.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

He wants to have options to be able to stay in contact with me. This is both of our first deployments and no one seems to be helping us along the way (besides you guys!) Am I allowed to list the countries he "could" be at? Basically, its the desert, the whole time... Everyone says he will have wifi, I am just so naive on how wifi works, what will be charged or not with text, calls, skype etc. Seems like there are a lot of options out there, just have to figure out what will work best for us.
    As long as he uses WiFi he won't be charged anything. Just use apps that are data only, not your phone plan (no calls/texts like normal), and you'll be good. But if you turn off his service plan he won't be able to use anything that would charge him anyways. My DH buys a SIM card in certain countries, but TBH I don't know what that does for WiFi. Skype, FB messenger, WhatsApp, etc. are all good for sending messages and they have calling capabilities.
  7. Senior Member
    DH didnt bring his phone with him to Iraq when he was there back in 08-09. 10 years ago they had the option to have wifi in their rooms. He would split the cost with his roommate and could either call/chat with me from his computer in his room or go use the common computer lab.

Im honestly not sure Id want dh to have the temptation/distraction with a cellphone. We had a routine and Id know when I was going to hear from him. I think that helped both of us. To each their own, though, I guess.
  8. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    @idratherbehiking
    So you have an international plan and can text you regularly or call you if needed? Im disengaging from Facebook, but I think I can still use-messenger. He uses that on a computer?
    We have used Skype and still use Skype along with a few other social media platforms. I know the last time DG and her sisters used a international calling plan the rates on our bill were through the roof. Which considering it's been a few years since declining most international based calling plans aimed at trying to get me and DG to repurchase air time. We have thought about new wireless plans, but haven't quite really needed it, especially given the service and our form of communication when in china, japan, or Korea.
  9. Senior Member
    Anything on WiFi is free just keep the phone on airplane mode and make sure the plan is suspended and you pay nothing (except usually they have to pay for the WiFi if they are boots on ground somewhere). The international plans from what I have heard are outrageously expensive. My boss for instance went on vacation internationallly called ahead and got an international plan her bill for that month was 4x the normal amount and she was there for a week. I wouldn’t risk it. Not if WiFi is an option.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12