Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First deployment, a new kind of anxiety

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

First deployment, a new kind of anxiety

Advertisements
    It's Susan again,

Well, it's our first deployment and I feel okay. I make my bed every morning, go to work and clean. I am trying to do something new and different each day. Does anyone feel like if you have too much fun, it'll make your man sad? That's kind of how I feel. I don't know why. It's so weird not having him around. I miss him.

Susan
  2. Regular Member
    I've found that when my DB is underway, he loves to hear about what I've been doing. Last time he was underway (granted it was only a few weeks) I was on vacation with my family. He loved getting emails talking about places I went and things we did, and I even sent him pictures. He told me that it made him happier to see that I was still able to have fun despite our limited communication. For him, it provides a nice distraction from the stress of work to be able to sit down and hear about my day. I know everyone is different, but I just wanted to share my experience. I definitely felt guilty at first (I was vacationing on a tropical island, and he was on a ship exhausted and homesick), but he started asking more and more for me to just email him stories about my day, and to send pictures because it made him happy to see me happy.

All that being said, I'm so happy you're doing okay! Seeing other people being strong and making it through hard times is so inspiring. DB is getting deployed next month, and it'll be my first time dealing with deployment, so it is so nice to see people living through it and doing well.
  3. Senior Member
    I have enough faith in DH's decency and love for me that I know he's happier when I'm having fun and enjoying life. He wants me to be happy, and that actually makes him happier. Anyone would would resent my happiness would be kind of a jerk, IMO.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by susbro510 View Post
    It's Susan again,

Well, it's our first deployment and I feel okay. I make my bed every morning, go to work and clean. I am trying to do something new and different each day. Does anyone feel like if you have too much fun, it'll make your man sad? That's kind of how I feel. I don't know why. It's so weird not having him around. I miss him.

Susan
    Its my BF first deployment too, I go to work each day and have another job after im done teaching that i do after school a few hours. I stay pretty busy during the week but the weekend is when i feel sad I need to stay busy but I feel like my mind is always thinking about him, so if i go and have fun i do feel a little bad that im out here doing whatever i want . I havent been able to talk to my bf yet so it's hard to say how he would feel, but i think he would like to know that i am not crying and upset all the time.
  5. Regular Member
    I totally feel this!! Whenever I'm out having too much fun, I always feel a little guilty because my boyfriend is currently deployed right now and he hates it. I used to tiptoe around telling him all the cool things I'm doing while he's away, but once he stopped me and said, "tell me what you really have been doing." That's when I figured out that hearing about what's going on in my life creates a sense of normalcy for him, that even though he's over there and far away, home is just an ocean over.