Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Will he still want to hear from me?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Lv. Percent
    13.83%

Will he still want to hear from me?

Advertisements
    Hello everyone! I'm new here, but I'd really like some advice. My friend and I have known each other since high school (over a decade). We've been romantically interested in each other throughout the years, but we've never gotten the timing right. He was in a serious relationship that ended two months ago, and we've been talking every day since then. He's been very clear that he's heartbroken and not looking to begin a relationship with me right now, but our friendship is really important to both of us. He'll be leaving for ten months in August. We both know that he's going to need to shut down parts of his emotions to survive other there, so a romantic relationship isn't on the radar for us right now. How should I handle his deployment? I know that communication from home is HUGE, but I'm not his girlfriend. Will he want to hear from me? If so, what do I talk to him about? I know he won't be able to respond often, so it'll be a pretty one-sided conversation. If I tell him funny stories about my life here, will it just make him sad? Should I just stick to sporadic and generic "I'm thinking about you today!" messages? I want to make his time easier, not harder. Do you have any ideas?

Thank you! I'm so glad I found this forum

Nicole
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    56.39%
    I wouldn't treat him any differently than you do usually. They're the same people they've always been, he doesn't need to be handled with kid gloves. He's well aware that people he knows back home are still living their lives. He might not always be in the mood to hear a funny story but until he tells you otherwise, I'd go on like normal. It would just make me feel worse if my friends treated me differently in that situation.
  3. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    Lv. Percent
    12.62%

I agree with Heisenberg. He's not a different person over there than he is here. I'd treat him the exact same way you always do and talk about the same things you would if he were home.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    22.48%
    Why don't you just ask him?
  5. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    61%
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I wouldn't treat him any differently than you do usually. They're the same people they've always been, he doesn't need to be handled with kid gloves. He's well aware that people he knows back home are still living their lives. He might not always be in the mood to hear a funny story but until he tells you otherwise, I'd go on like normal. It would just make me feel worse if my friends treated me differently in that situation.
    I second her.
  6. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    61%
    I second her.
  7. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries
    Lv. Percent
    42.66%

She speaks wise words.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

8. Regular Member
    Lv. Percent
    18.36%
    I 100% agree.