Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Feeling the Deployment Blues

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Sad Feeling the Deployment Blues

Advertisements
    Hi there, so I'm new to this site so bear with me. My SO is in the Army and has been deployed for 5 months now out of his 9 month deployment, and I'm really starting to feel that sadness and distance. I understand he's busy and so am I, I'm a college student, so we both have a lot going on, but I just miss him so much. There are so many times I want to just call him and hear his voice, or tell him about my day or hear him tell me about his, but then I realize for him its like 3 am so I can't call him. Its just those little moments where I get kinda sad and just miss him so much I want to burst into tears where I stand. I love my SO more than anything and being apart long distance is one thing, but now the time on top of the distance makes it so much harder. I'm almost positive you all have these days too, so if anyone has any advice as to how to push forward and stay positive, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!
  2. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireangel14 View Post
    Hi there, so I'm new to this site so bear with me. My SO is in the Army and has been deployed for 5 months now out of his 9 month deployment, and I'm really starting to feel that sadness and distance. I understand he's busy and so am I, I'm a college student, so we both have a lot going on, but I just miss him so much. There are so many times I want to just call him and hear his voice, or tell him about my day or hear him tell me about his, but then I realize for him its like 3 am so I can't call him. Its just those little moments where I get kinda sad and just miss him so much I want to burst into tears where I stand. I love my SO more than anything and being apart long distance is one thing, but now the time on top of the distance makes it so much harder. I'm almost positive you all have these days too, so if anyone has any advice as to how to push forward and stay positive, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!
    #1 I'd say push away the bad thoughts that may visit every now and then. And they will. I have been in a LDR for about 2 years now with time difference and everything it comes with, and I have learned to be on my own, focusing on my job, my hobbies, and our long-term plans with him. I text him when it's night time there and day time here, when he wakes up he knows I am thinking about him, and how my day is going. If you don't text just shoot an e-mail?
    #2 Keep yourself busy with as many things as possible. Go to events, make new friends, attend functions at work/college, find a new hobby, go on vacation, visit a family or friend who lives in a different city, go to gym (if you are not already). I cannot stress how important and beneficial this one is! You are working on your body, your looks, and your health, next time he sees you can be a better & healthier looking person. And it's always a bonus.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks for the advice! Yes I do a lot of those things already, so I guess I just gotta push through! Thanks so much! ❤️
  4. Senior Member
    My DB is deployed too I'm not over the halfway point though, not by a long shot - we went from living together to 9hr time difference and no phones! But he can Skype through internet thank goodness! It's an adjustment for sure. There's days I miss him more than others, I felt like Veterans Day was hard lol I always make him banana pudding for Veterans Day and this year no pudding! I feel like that's a weird thing to be a little blue over but I was. But I have kids and dogs so we're busy and had gymnastics and things to do so I didn't get to dwell on feeling blue which probably helped. I don't really have advice just right there with you, I find deployment hard, I miss my partner in day to day activities! But it's temporary! We have life goals and those are permanent so I try to focus on that.