Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How long?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

How long?

Advertisements
    Hi! I'm a newbie and have never posted to any forum. My fiancé left for a 10 month deployment and has been gone 14 months! He has no idea when he will get to come home, but hopes and feels it may be soon. Is this type of extension normal for a Marine deployment? I don't know much about any of this. We were only together for several months before he was deployed. I. Just. Want. Him. Home!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdngos3 View Post
    Hi! I'm a newbie and have never posted to any forum. My fiancé left for a 10 month deployment and has been gone 14 months! He has no idea when he will get to come home, but hopes and feels it may be soon. Is this type of extension normal for a Marine deployment? I don't know much about any of this. We were only together for several months before he was deployed. I. Just. Want. Him. Home!
    I've personally never heard of a Marine deployment lasting that long. I'm sorry you have no clue when it will be over.
    How did you meet? Did you ever meet in person before he deployed?

3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    We didn't get to meet in person. His next leave was just a few weeks away and he deployed before our first date. Sounds weird to be in love with someone you've never met, I know. But I also know it's true love. He's never asked for money so I m not being scammed. Our hearts and souls are truly connected and he contacts me regularly when he can. ... Sorry, I always tend to be defensive when questioned about never meeting my Love. :-)
  4. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    We didn't get to meet in person. His next leave was just a few weeks away and he deployed before our first date. Sounds weird to be in love with someone you've never met, I know. But I also know it's true love. He's never asked for money so I m not being scammed. Our hearts and souls are truly connected and he contacts me regularly when he can. ... Sorry, I always tend to be defensive when questioned about never meeting my Love. :-)
    How can you be engaged to someone you've never met before?
    ~Becca~

5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Well, okay, I'll call him my boyfriend since we aren't officially engaged with a ring and all. We just know that we will be married and share the rest of our lives together. So we refer to each other as "fiancé" .
  6. Senior Member
    Well, okay, I'll call him my boyfriend since we aren't officially engaged with a ring and all. We just know that we will be married and share the rest of our lives together. So we refer to each other as "fiancé" .
    A Marine deployment typically lasts between 6-7 months.
    14+ months is extremely unusual for a deployment in the Marines. in the Army, yes. Marines? No. I've never heard of it happening. The fact that you never met in person and he's telling you he doesn't know when this deployment will end are HUGE red flags. Not all catfish/scammes ask for money, sometimes they're seeking an emotional connection.

Did you ever verify that he was military? Did he Skype you while in uniform, show you his military ID, or email you from his .mil address?

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    A Marine deployment typically lasts between 6-7 months.
    14+ months is extremely unusual for a deployment in the Marines. in the Army, yes. Marines? No. I've never heard of it happening. The fact that you never met in person and he's telling you he doesn't know when this deployment will end are HUGE red flags. Not all catfish/scammes ask for money, sometimes they're seeking an emotional connection.

Did you ever verify that he was military? Did he Skype you while in uniform, show you his military ID, or email you from his .mil address?
    I'm seeing red flags here. Added, if you don't really don't know each other (one date isn't enough), I would be very cautious on what he believes.

Also, pictures can be doctored, changed, ect. Unless it is in person, I wouldn't count too much on it.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Senior Member
    I am seeing major red flags. My DF is in the marines and i have never heard of a deployment lasting that long. The fact that you have never met him in person makes me feel like he is avoiding a meeting by "extending his deployment".
  9. Senior Member
    This would be fairly unusual. And "military" is a very, very common tool used by catfishers. Add to that the fact that he had to deploy suddenly, right before he was supposed to meet you in person, and I'd say there's a very good chance things are not what they seem.

And not all scams ask for money. Many don't. They just think it's fun to mess with someone's head, or they have a girlfriend or wife and want some fun on the side, or many other reasons. I'm not sure you open to hearing this or considering the possibility, but I hope you can accept it enough to look objectively at things and protect yourself.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski