Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: NEW to deployment

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

NEW to deployment

Advertisements
    I have never been in a military relationship. I have no clue what to expect, how to feel, how to deal. I do not know anything about deployment. This is his 4th so he knows what to expect. We didn't have time to talk about it cause his family came first and after all we had just started talking when he got orders. Any information about deployments will help GREATLY. This deployment is 14 months long. I am scared out of my mind.
  2. Senior Member
    A lot of what you will deal with is very location specific. Obviously I wouldn't post where he is located on social media, but if he is in a combat vs non-combat zone the amount of contact and type of contact may differ. Also, his specific job may change the amount of time he has to contact you.

For example, someone I know is leaving for a 'deployment' to Turkey for a year. It's officially considered a deployment, but that's not really what the family is considering it.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Senior Member
    Welcome!

What kind of questions do you have? As mentioned above deployments differ greatly, so it's hard for us to tell you what it's like. You've come to the right place for information and support.
  4. Senior Member
    As previous posters have said it really can vary. Remember it's temporary. There are plenty of people here who have been down the road one or multiple times. Reach out the any of us if you have specific questions or concerns. Lots of support here!
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    For example he came home for Christmas and I did not find out till a few days later when I looked at his moms page. He called her and said that he was safe and she said that she'll tell him I was asking about him. He just stopped talking to me. The last conversation we had, he said that he was proud of me and that he hated to go but he had more training to do. How do I know if something has changed between me and him? I have some people telling me he is just pulling my along for various reasons then I have others telling me, its just cause he is deployed.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KellieEVFD View Post
    For example he came home for Christmas and I did not find out till a few days later when I looked at his moms page. He called her and said that he was safe and she said that she'll tell him I was asking about him. He just stopped talking to me. The last conversation we had, he said that he was proud of me and that he hated to go but he had more training to do. How do I know if something has changed between me and him? I have some people telling me he is just pulling my along for various reasons then I have others telling me, its just cause he is deployed.
    I mean this as gently as possible, but that for sure sounds like he ended the relationship. In a shitty way for sure, but coming home and not contacting you would mean the end of a relationship to me.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥