Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Keeping Busy and "Me Time"?

1. Regular Member

Keeping Busy and "Me Time"?

Advertisements
    I've heard how keeping busy can help with getting through a separation. I have a 7 month old, a two year old, and an autistic 5 year old full time. I also have a 15 year old that lives in another state most of the time, but comes over summer and long school breaks. (Divorce, dad has primary custody so our son could stay in his home state.) So, staying busy isn't really my problem. Unfortunately, it's the kind of busy that is a bit more stressful rather than helpful.

I've looked in to getting the occasional babysitter, but that isn't something we can afford too often, and we only know one couple that we trust enough to do leave our baby with, anyway.

So, does anyone have any advice for sneaking in some me time? I'm betting after they go to bed is my best option, but hoped maybe someone out there had some more creative ideas.

Thanks!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by fenixphire View Post
    I've heard how keeping busy can help with getting through a separation. I have a 7 month old, a two year old, and an autistic 5 year old full time. I also have a 15 year old that lives in another state most of the time, but comes over summer and long school breaks. (Divorce, dad has primary custody so our son could stay in his home state.) So, staying busy isn't really my problem. Unfortunately, it's the kind of busy that is a bit more stressful rather than helpful.

I've looked in to getting the occasional babysitter, but that isn't something we can afford too often, and we only know one couple that we trust enough to do leave our baby with, anyway.

So, does anyone have any advice for sneaking in some me time? I'm betting after they go to bed is my best option, but hoped maybe someone out there had some more creative ideas.

Thanks!
    I would assume a 7 month old and a 5 year old would be in bed decently early so I would take the time after that for "me" time. Something you enjoy at home; a nice bubble-bath, an more mature movie and a bottle of wine or some tea/ hot chocolate.
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I don't have children, but I am low energy so I don't find keeping busy helpful. I use a paper planner to track things like events, moods, feelings, meals, activities, etc...and it's quite therapeutic for me.

Aside from that I do fairly normal things like a bath, sleep, general self care etc....I hope you find something that works for you
  4. Regular Member
    Thanks!

So far, I've been reading for about an hour after the kids go to bed. That is actually the toughest time for me, because my husband and I always made that time our quality time together. The reading helps, though, since books were my first love and I've had so little time for them since having my youngest.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    This may sound weird but I have found working out helps. I know it may sound like work and if I'm just getting into a new regime I have to force myself. But after a little bit it is something I look forward to. And I end up with more energy and feel better about my appearance, too, which also help.

Also, have you tried ABA? I don't have personal experience with it but know people that use it and they get so many hours of babysitting a week. It would just cover your 5 year old but maybe that could help if you have at least one child looked after.

Perhaps even taking the kids with you and going for a walk would help. That way y'all would be out of the house getting fresh air, which can do wonders.

This may sound weird, too, but when I attended the FRG meetings we'd have child care and I was able to get adult interaction during that time. And by meeting others you could extend your network of people. Some of my friends and I would swap child care. It was only 1-2 times a month but if you can utilize multiple ways then they can add up.

Yes, the night time was the worst for me, too. That is when your mind tends to wonder to how lonely you are. :-( I hope you find something that helps.