Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Still Adjusting

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Still Adjusting

Advertisements
    Hi everyone! My name is Katherine, please call me Kat. So, my boyfriend has been gone since May of this year. We started dating shortly before he shipped out, and I knew things would be hard, but here we are five months in with seven more to go, and I don't know how I'm going to do it. He's got plenty to worry about while he's gone so the last thing I want to do is let him know how much it hurts me that he's gone... I wake up every morning wishing that I was in his arms, but instead he's 7,000 miles away from me. Does anyone have any good coping methods? I don't need to add him worrying about me to his list of problems. So let me hear it! Anyone who's gone through this please let me know what worked best for you!

Much appreciation,
    Kat.
  2. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Keep busy! The busier I was, the better I was! It's ok to have a few rough days or a few rough moments...but pick yourself up and keep going after you have them. Don't allow yourself to get sucked into the "rabbit hole" of missing him. It helped me to remember that this was short term. There was an end in sight...deployments don't last forever!

It also really helped to make plans weekly/bi weekly that I was looking forward to. Dinner with friends/family...a new movie coming out. And then a every month or so something BIG (like a huge get together or Christmas or so and so's birthday party). Time goes so much faster when you're busy and have things to look forward to!

You've got this.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I think that's what my funk this week has been about... I have been doing pretty good, but these last few weeks have been a living hell! I've started making plans for the month of November, (My birthday is this month!!) And that's helped keep me busy. It's just a lot harder than I imagined it would be. But I know that it'll be worth it in the end. Thank you for the advice!!