Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: He left this morning for 10 months

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Sad He left this morning for 10 months

Advertisements
    This is my first deployment and my boyfriend of a little over a year left this morning for 10 months..we've known for awhile this was going to happen but it has been SO much harder than I was expecting. I have completely fallen apart and haven't stopped crying today. The hardest part is not having him here to comfort me when I need it the most. I have family and friends in the area but nothing feels like it'll help take this pain away. I've tried to do the normal create bucket list ideas, ect. but every time I think about the fact that I won't see him for 10 months I start crying and hyperventilating. This is only day one and I'm scared to death and I miss him so much...before he left I really thought I'd be able to handle it now I'm scared I won't be able to. Nothing seems to help... I know I'm having a breakdown I just needed to vent and I can't talk to him right now. 10 months seems like such a long time but I know I need to figure out how to get through this because I love him..it's just so hard.
  2. Senior Member
    It's always worse at the beginning. I was like you when our deployment first started. Now there are only weeks left for me and I've gotten into my own routine. It's gonna be extra hard the first few days but once you get the hang of it, the time will pass slowly but surely. Hang in there!
  3. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

Quote Originally Posted by tofuface View Post
    It's always worse at the beginning. I was like you when our deployment first started. Now there are only weeks left for me and I've gotten into my own routine. It's gonna be extra hard the first few days but once you get the hang of it, the time will pass slowly but surely. Hang in there!
    Tofu is right. I remember when my husband first deployed and I had no idea how long it would be before I heard from him. It takes about a week for them to get there and settled in and everything.

The first few days are the suckiest days, but it's a day closer to seeing him again. I hope you get to hear from him soon.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    You'll get through!
  5. Regular Member
    I write in a journal that I call my deployment journal to help with how I'm feeling. I wrote a lot in it at first and now I've noticed that it goes in spurts where I'll write almost every day and then maybe a couple times a week. The beginning is the hardest. I was a nervous wreck the first 2 weeks until I finally heard from my DB. It takes a bit of time but you'll get into a routine and you will begin to feel settled in to it all. We have 8 months left of a 12 month deployment so I've finally, in the past month or so, hit more of a cruising mode. This is my first time going through a deployment with DB but it is his third or fourth. I do my best to not think about what I'm missing with not having my DB here but instead think of what's to come when he comes home. I am a true believer that you have a choice in how hard a deployment can be in how you respond. As I told my DB, being apart is never ideal and yes, it's not easy but it's up to us to decide how difficult it's going to be by how we respond to it. We can choose to make it really difficult by complaining or whining or we can deal with it and make it the best possible experience we can for us. I know that viewpoint doesn't work for everyone but it works for us.

We are all here for you and you will get through this.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    thank you all so much for the kind words and advice, I really needed it and appreciate it. I think I need to start getting busy and not mope around too much... I know that's not going to help me get through this any easier or quicker. Thank you!
  7. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Knicole25 View Post
    thank you all so much for the kind words and advice, I really needed it and appreciate it. I think I need to start getting busy and not mope around too much... I know that's not going to help me get through this any easier or quicker. Thank you!
    You'll find the time flies by if you keep busy and have things to do. In the meantime, take it one day at a time!
  8. Senior Member