Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Just Found Out About Our First Deployment

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Just Found Out About Our First Deployment

Advertisements
    So my SO and I have been together for 6 years. Pre-Army. He has been in the Army Reserve for about 2.5yrs now. We just received news that he'll be deploying. Being part of a reserve unit, we don't live near the people in his unit, and I've never met them or their families. So I feel like I'm just floating right now. I don't even know where to begin in asking for help, suggestions, where to go, etc. Help!
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Just Found Out About Our First Deployment

So my SO and I have been together for 6 years. Pre-Army. He has been in the Army Reserve for about 2.5yrs now. We just received news that he'll be deploying. Being part of a reserve unit, we don't live near the people in his unit, and I've never met them or their families. So I feel like I'm just floating right now. I don't even know where to begin in asking for help, suggestions, where to go, etc. Help!
  3. Senior Member
    I dont really have much advice, because ive havent been through a deployment yet ( it doesnt happen). But i just wanted to send some your way.

Hope it all works out and you get the answers youre looking for.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  4. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

OP I have merged your threads together as it is against TOS to post the same thread on different sections of the board! Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

5. Senior Member
    Most reserve units do some sort of Yellow Ribbon event, don't they? These events are geared on preparing your family for deployment. Google "Yellow Ribbon" events in your local area. Also, try and find out if your SO knows anything about the unit getting families together pre deployment - most do this as well.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    My husband is reserves too and about to deploy. This is his second tour but our first together. I am not much in the way of resources but I am finding myself in the position to need some women in my life who understand what this is like. If you want to chat I am always open sending prayers your way
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Oops!!! my bad! Thank you
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I'm definitely here for you too! If you find out anything feel free to share and I'll do the same!!!

I'll have to find out about the Yellow Ribbon events, since we aren't on base, and live about 2.5hrs from his "home" unit, finding out about that stuff is on the difficult side. But I'll definitely look into it! I'm hoping to attend at least one family day, but now that they are getting deployment ready we'll see if that happens frequently. I'm also an RN so finding out about them a week in advance is hard to plan for. But I've definitely got to figure it out. I'm semi spazzing out every once in awhile.
  9. Regular Member
    HI there! My DH is in the reserves, too and has been called to deploy with a new unit. I don't know any of the other wives! It sounds like we have a lot in common, maybe we can encourage each other during this strange time...?