Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First Deployment

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

First Deployment

Advertisements
    So this is my first deployment and I am just emotional. I am trying to stay busy but save money. I thought about crafting things for my boyfriend to see if that would help me ease my mind and to pass the time. I want time to go faster. I want him back in hawaii. I mean we are in a long distance relationship. He is in hawaii and i am in michigan. I would love him home home with me but hawaii would be great so I can at least call him and not have to worry when he is deployed.

I am looking for ideas of what is helping you pass the time. I write in a journal every night as if I were talking to him on the phone. That only helps so much. But I will support him no matter what. I just wish I knew what to do with myself so I am not crying and missing him so much that it hurts. I will always miss him but I am not taking this deployment very well. But I am taking it day by day and staying as strong as I possibly can everyday even if on somedays I am weak. I just have to push through the weakness and be strong for not only him, but for me.
  2. Senior Member
    I mentioned a lot of this in your other thread, but just find hobbies that interest you. They shouldn't all revolve around him, either. Crafting for him and writing in a journal to him keep your mind focused on what you don't have. Instead (or in addition!), you need to fill your life up. Fill up the life you have now which is one temporarily without him. Read books, volunteer, take an inexpensive hobby class to learn oil panting or knitting or auto repair. Learn to play chess or guitar. Paint your bedroom or install shelves in your closet or start a backyard or container garden.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by gorshea View Post
    So this is my first deployment and I am just emotional. I am trying to stay busy but save money. I thought about crafting things for my boyfriend to see if that would help me ease my mind and to pass the time. I want time to go faster. I want him back in hawaii. I mean we are in a long distance relationship. He is in hawaii and i am in michigan. I would love him home home with me but hawaii would be great so I can at least call him and not have to worry when he is deployed.

I am looking for ideas of what is helping you pass the time. I write in a journal every night as if I were talking to him on the phone. That only helps so much. But I will support him no matter what. I just wish I knew what to do with myself so I am not crying and missing him so much that it hurts. I will always miss him but I am not taking this deployment very well. But I am taking it day by day and staying as strong as I possibly can everyday even if on somedays I am weak. I just have to push through the weakness and be strong for not only him, but for me.
    I think it's great you're keeping a journal.

Find things that you enjoy doing and do those things. Like for me, I really enjoy reading so when my DH is deployed, I read a lot of books. Make it into a game... like how many books can I read in this amount of time. I also binge watch shows on netflix and play World of Warcraft with my friend.

It's hard when they're gone, no doubt about it... but you're strong and you will get through it. Then before you know it, he'll be back home.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by gorshea View Post

Definitely Netflix. For $7.99/month, I watch a LOT

I'm not dating anyone right now, but when my ex was deployed, I worked a ton teaching group exercise and at my full time job, plus marathon training. I kept super busy and it made my time go by faster. When I was at home, I would do yoga downloads, read, post on here (a lot, lol), workout/run, hang with friends, and go window shopping. I know you said you want to save money but maybe consider doing something nice for yourself once a month. My little treat was a manicure every two weeks and a pedicure once a month. It actually made the time go faster too, because I'd think, "Okay, now in a month I'll get another pedicure and it'll be another month closer."
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

redirect your thoughts

I agree with what others have said as far as journaling but instead of writing a letter about how an every day conversation would go, write about YOUR feelings. Get them all out, good and bad and hopefully this will help you with acceptance of the situation. Finding things to do that take your mind off of his deployment will help out alot. I exercise, and find a good spin class is great at helping me put everything out of my mind and focus on doing something good for me. If you keep your self busy with things that fulfill you then you will miss him but will not dwell on him being away. Stay strong because you can do this