Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husband just left, first depolyment, support needed!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Husband just left, first depolyment, support needed!

Advertisements
    My husband just left yesterday for a six month deployment. This is my first deployment and its really scary. Knowing he wont be walking through the door today and seeing his stuff around the house is making me really upset. Six months seems like such a long time, but I'm hoping it will go by fast and I will be able to talk to him often. Any advice to make this easier or anyone going through the same thing?
  2. Senior Member
    For me, the first few days were TOUGH ... followed by the first couple of weeks being more of a roller coaster of emotions. Give yourself the time to cry ... holding it in makes it worse. Also, don't be surprised if you get hit by tears out of nowhere! Somehow they would sneak up on me in the middle of the day. It's normal! I found if i could keep myself busy it helped the days/ nights go faster. I wrapped myself up in running and spending my "alone" nights at the gym. I spent a lot of time at the post office shipping care packages. Fact Time/ iMessage were a blessing for us - luckily this past deployment had fairly good internet. Use this time for YOU... you will actually come out stronger! We are heading into deployment soon too - so I will be joining you!
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Hi there.KTSARAH..deployments are tough, trust me, this is my boyfriends' 4th!!! The first time wasn't so bad for me, as we had only met 6 months before, so it was a relatively new thing for both of us. He has been gone nearly all of 2015, Jan - Mar for C-school, home for 2 months, then away for pre-deployment training and now on actual deployment for 7 months. I don't expect to see him until probably late Feb, but hopefully once he gets to his FOB, he will be able to email/call/skype.
    Being emotional is completely normal, certain songs or tv shows will make me bust out crying. Don't watch shows like "Coming Home"...it's a sure fire trip to red-eye and sniffling city. The hardest times for me are the evenings...eating dinner, watching tv...it just isn't the same without him there to share my day with. It does get easier...and the homecoming...OMG, focus on the homecoming! I know it seems like a million days away but it's not. If you are able to travel to where he'll be coming in from (if they aren't coming into the base you may live on) I urge you to do so. There is nothing like seeing him walking (or running) to you in the airport and getting that first hug and kiss... My bf doesn't live on a base - he's a Navy Reservist - so they will typically fly into a base where they do all of their out-processing before they fly home. Chin up my friend... Cindy
  4. Senior Member
    Hey, I agree with above posters on staying busy and not being surprised by random emotions. Just wanted to add that DB and I use Skype, FB messenger and google hangout to talk while he's been deployed. Depending on where your DH is, certain apps work, others don't, so just wanted to give you a few to check out. Good luck!
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you guys for the encouragement! Its nice to know I'm not alone and these feelings are normal. I hope it starts to get easier soon! He just got there and found out the only place that has Wifi there is the chow hall. Do any of you have any suggestions what we can use when he doesn't have wifi to talk to him?
  6. Senior Member
    I agree with the staying busy. Find a hobby that you really enjoy and stay active. Give yourself time to cry. As far as apps that doesn't use wifi, I don't know of any, but others on here might. My DH is overseas right now too, hang in there.
  7. Senior Member
    I would say the old fashioned kind.... handwritten letters. Sorry, I don't know of any apps currently that don't use Wifi.
  8. Senior Member
    CP and letters will be good for you to send/him to receive. I know in a few places DB bought "burner phones" but it depended on the country if it was easy for him to get one, not sure if your DH can find a phone like that with the prepaid minutes...
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    He mentioned something about getting an "egg". I guess its some kind of devise you can carry around with you to have wifi wherever you go. Not sure if it works very well and I heard its costly. Has anyone else with someone deployed used this or heard of it?
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I have never heard of this "egg". My bf was deployed to GITMO in 2012 and communication was tough. Calls/skype was impossible, the wifi signal just wasn't adequate, but email was usually pretty good. It depends on where they are. It's been my experience especially in the "sandbox" (aka Middle East), most well established bases have good internet cafe's and communication is pretty steady. Just remember, he's there on a mission and that's always his first priority. We would all love to be able to talk with our loved ones every day, but that's pretty unrealistic. Years ago, my bf was on a convoy team, and it would sometimes be up to 10 days between emails/calls. It was frustrating not to hear from him, but when that email or call arrived, it was like winning the lottery!! BTW...I see people using "DB" and "DH". Can anyone tell me what these stand for? (Deployed boyfriend / deployed husband)???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast