Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever lived near or on base in Washington DC?

1. Regular Member

Anyone ever lived near or on base in Washington DC?

Advertisements
    So DF is going to start inquiring this Fall where he will be PCSing to next year, stateside(he's stationed in Germany). Our relationship has always been at a distance and this is the first time we will ever be together on a regular basis. I'm excited but just hate not knowing where we will end up. I live near West Point Military Academy in NY but have heard its a very hard place to get into. It would be ideal if he could PCS there, I am 25 minutes away. But if not, he said it would probably be DC. Can anyone who has lived there share what they know about it?
  2. Senior Member
    I live right outside DC now.

We just bought our first house in Bowie, MD. It's about 20-30 mins from downtown DC. We chose Bowie because its close to Annapolis (we love going up to Annapolis), but real estate in Annapolis was too expensive. I work on Andrews AFB and my husband works at the Office of Naval Intelligence...both right outside of DC. We both have pretty easy commutes. Bowie has some decent shopping and if we want something Bowie doesn't have, we just go to Annapolis. I more go into DC when we have guests come or if there's some sort of event going on we want to check out.

A lot of people will tell you to stay away from Prince George's County completely (Bowie is in PG County). I disagree with that mindset because there are some decent areas and to dismiss an entire county due to some bad areas (don't get me wrong, theres some REALLY bad areas) is just not how I think. I mean, you have to use common sense and chek out areas and form your own opinion, but I figured I'd share mine.

Another option you can look into is living on the VA side. I don't mind the VA side, but in opinion the traffic is WAY worse and housing prices are quite a bit more expensive.
  3. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I live outside DC up the road from Ft. Belvoir. I've lived here my whole life so when people ask me about it I'm kind of like "Hmmm what do I compare it to?" Traffic sucks here, so be prepared for that. It's expensive to rent here, so if you're going to be stationed here for a few years I'd consider buying a house as opposed to renting. There's plenty to do and easy access to DC via the metro, although that's expensive too. Lots of parks and nature trails. Northern Virginia has one of the best job markets in the country right now, so there's a positive! There are some pretty good malls in Fairfax and McLean. There's also a lot of history here if you're a history buff! That's all I can come up with for now. I'll try to think of some more things. DC really is a beautiful city, so be excited!

If you have any questions, let me know!

ETA: As stated above, there will be people who tell you to stay away from various areas because they heard this one time someone got robbed. False. The ONLY place I would never, ever, ever, ever go or live is Anacostia, which is in Southeast DC.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    I live outside DC up the road from Ft. Belvoir. I've lived here my whole life so when people ask me about it I'm kind of like "Hmmm what do I compare it to?" Traffic sucks here, so be prepared for that. It's expensive to rent here, so if you're going to be stationed here for a few years I'd consider buying a house as opposed to renting. There's plenty to do and easy access to DC via the metro, although that's expensive too. Lots of parks and nature trails. Northern Virginia has one of the best job markets in the country right now, so there's a positive! There are some pretty good malls in Fairfax and McLean. There's also a lot of history here if you're a history buff! That's all I can come up with for now. I'll try to think of some more things. DC really is a beautiful city, so be excited!

If you have any questions, let me know!

ETA: As stated above, there will be people who tell you to stay away from various areas because they heard this one time someone got robbed. False. The ONLY place I would never, ever, ever, ever go or live is Anacostia, which is in Southeast DC.
    Yeah, got lost there once. and only once.

I love DC. Lived there for a summer a few years back. It really depends if you are looking to live in the city or in the burbs?
  5. Senior Member
    I lived in DC for 4 years. What branch is he in? I wasn't connected to the military there just went for school but I definitely know the city well and some of the bases. Feel free to PM me.
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Been here for 8 years now.. hubby was stationed at Bolling.
    I agree with the_lepus, the only place I wouldn't even consider living is Anacostia/Southeast DC, the rest of the city has its good parts and bad, but most of them are good.

Where to live depends on you two, as each person's preferences are different. We have children, so I refused to put them in DC district schools and wanted VA schools, so we chose to live in VA. Housing tends to be cheaper outside the beltway, so take that into consideration.

You have those that love VA over MD or DC, you have those that love DC over VA or MD, and love MD over DC or VA... its really up to you what you want to do.

Traffic is horrid, but my advice, don't base anything on traffic because you could be 1 mile away or 30 miles away its the same. Being close doesn't mean traffic is great.

I would say, if you don't have children, I recommend living in the city or somewhere near (like old town alexandria). Its wonderful experience, you are walking distance or metro to anything.

We love it here. Feel free to ask me anything.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Regular Member
    We are down in Fort Belvoir. I love the NOVA and DC area. Its the closest place I've found that it like home. There is so much to do here. lots of amazing place to eat at.
  8. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Yeah, got lost there once. and only once.

I love DC. Lived there for a summer a few years back. It really depends if you are looking to live in the city or in the burbs?
    I bet that was a super fun experience for you (read that with sarcasm). My brother called me once because he fell asleep on the green line and woke up in Anacostia. He was terrified. I was like "What exactly would you like me to do for you?!" They have really transformed the rest of Southeast though. Even the Navy Yard is a million times better because of National's Park. DB use to be in the barracks at 8th and I, which was in a really bad part, but now they're in the middle of these brand new townhouses. It's incredible how fast the stadium changed the area.

9. Senior Member
    if you want to live in the city, I recommend SW DC.... it's up and coming, mostly residential, and a 5 minute walk to the mall (it's probably the most underestimated area of dc). It's close to a lot of the bases that are in DC or like at the Pentagon...etc. I wouldn't live in the city with kids.
  10. Regular Member
    We have lived in NOVA for the last 3 years. First in Springfield and now in Lorton, right outside Fort Belvoir. My husband is at the Pentagon and we love it here. We bought our "forever" home here although we will be leaving again in less then 2 years.

Where will he be stationed?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast