Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hard to Stop Thinking About Her

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Hard to Stop Thinking About Her

Advertisements
    Hey DSGers,

I currently just moved into a new state by myself with my girlfriend deployed for 7 months. She's been away for a little over a month now but I'm having a hard time trying to stay in the present moment, stay positive, and focus on what I'm doing without thinking about her. It's been really tough especially cuz it's the first time living on my own (having roommates for the last 5 years) and I have a lot of time by myself, which tends to keep me stuck in my own head. I just started a new job and haven't really found people that have a lot of the same interests as I do so it hasn't been the easiest transition for me, especially since I've never had someone I loved gone so far away for so long along with no friends or family in the immediate area. Any insight or help would really be appreciated. I'm thinking about getting a start on my master's to keep myself engaged in something more than just working out and work. Thanks for the help!
  2. Senior Member
    Ugh I'm really awful about "staying in the moment", as you said. I have so much trouble telling myself not to wish the next X months away because I have some great things coming up in the next few months that I'm looking forward to but all I want is for it to be the day when I get to see and hold him again.

That said, I say go for the Masters if you have the time/money because as everyone has says, staying busy really is the key! I know it's the only time when I'm not actively thinking about him. For me busy also means doing something social that or work-related that requires thought because if its just seeing a movie or watching TV, my mind VERY easily finds a way to connect to him. Maybe you could also just focus on making new friends in the area? Use meet up groups, social groups in your city/town, a sports team in the area? Making friends is tough and will not only distract you but those people could help you out down the rod once you're closer with them? Just a thought--good luck!!
  3. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Starting your masters is a great idea! I too am using this time that my SO is away to go back to school. Being in school will make you feel confident and empowered which will lift your spirits and allow you to focus on things besides her. Plus, you'll make a whole lot of new friends in your classes and get involved in extra curricular activities offered by your university.