Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Open When.... Letters

1. Regular Member

Open When.... Letters

Advertisements
    I've seen on pinterest and twitter about these Open When... letters that girls have sent to their SO's while deployed. I want to send him some, but since we aren't exactly dating or weren't together before he left, I don't know if I should or what to say or what circumstances I should tell him to "open them" under.

Any ideas what to write or when to tell him to open them? Or if I should even do them?
  2. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Not so sure about the circumstances but I know that you can write to him about whats going on back home. That's what I did with DB since he said they didn't do much out there so hearing about my day or what was going on in the city we live in or in the news in general. Were both interested in games so I'd tell him about new games that were coming out, or about what was going in with my family or about celebrities
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

My DB actually did something like this for me when he was deployed. It was a count down and each day he wrote a little note leading up to our first day meeting. It wasn't a full out letter though. I like the idea and make the letter have something special with it. Like his birthday, or HUGE news. Kwim? Because letters usually take two weeks to get the Afghan to begin with. So I personally, wouldn't do it for normal letters but I could definitely doing it for something with a huge announcement or something.
  4. Senior Member
    i know most people do it with little notes, or cards, or little comic strips. nothing like long ass letters or anything like that.
    we kicked deployment #2's butt!

5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I totally didn't know that this was a thing I made these up when DH was deployed a year and a half ago and sent them to him. So I'm going to summarize everything because there's a mini letter for my "open when" on the outside and the insides were super elaborate lol. I did:

- "Open this when you're horny": I made a list of the top ten reasons he's sexy and another list of things that I'd like to do in bed, then a steamy love note (I cringed trying be all seduce-y, but he liked it, so whatever, it was worth it )
    - "Read this when you feel like you're missing out on Aubs' firsts": I printed out and collaged pictures of him at her first trip to the beach right before he left and wrote a letter reminding him that he, her sailor daddy, was there for her introduction to the ocean
    - "Open this when you want a sweet note from your little girl": I wrote a card in Aubree's voice about the milestones and habits she had and how much she loved him
    - "Read this when you want to feel appreciated": I wrote a list of about thirty or so things that he's really good at
    - "Open this when you want to ponder and think": I wrote about 40 different quotes from different philosophers, theologians, and scripture-- from Zoroastrian hymns to Nietzche to Native American proverbs, I wanted to help him open his mind and ponder
    - "Open this when you need a break from schedules and ship life": I wrote in the lyrics to banana pancakes by jack johnson (a favorite song of ours) and a letter; there are letters in each card in addition to whatever theme I did though lol
    - "Open this when you want to imagine married life together": I made a bunch of coupons-- from movie nights to bedroom stuff and included instructions on how the game will work
    - "Open this when you want to see my heart laid bare in front of you": I wrote a poem about us falling in love and growing in our marriage-- he's the romantic while I gag at corny or overly loquacious stuff, so this was really me trying to do something significant for him
    - "Open this when you feel your environment wearing on you": I wrote him a heartfelt letter about how incredible he is and to never lose that wonderful spark in his soul
    - "Open this when the deployment seems to go on forever": I took an article from a magazine on 50 fun and inexpensive date ideas and highlighted ones that I was interested in and wrote notes on the page, then folded it up and put it in the card (with a letter of course lol)
    - "Open this when you want a nice card from your princess": This one was also in Aubree's voice and was abour how much she loves him and how she can't wait for him to come home
    - "Open this when you complete your ESWS": This was for when he finished a big months-long qualification process with tests and boards and everything; I wrote about how proud we were of him, managing to balance so much at once and still kick butt and take names at work while making me feel cared about and loved from afar
    - "Open this when you feel discouraged": This one was chock full of scriptures about God renewing and restoring-- it was totally a faith one
    - "Open this when you want to be happy": I listed about 100 or 200 random things to be happy about in a simple way-- Civil War era furniture, frosted windows, making a snow angel in two feet of fresh fluffy powder, moss-laden terra cotta pots of herbs, etc.
    - "Open this when you want to remember that I'm crazy about you": This one had one of my bizarre, eccentric drawings done fairly elaborately
    - "Open this when you need a smile": This card had 10 silly one-liner jokes and a whole page of fun facts, like why water doesn't really go down a drain backwards in the southern hemisphere
    - "Open this when you feel unloved": This was a mushy gushy card about how wonderful he is and how much I love him

There were others, but I have no idea where they are lol. The ones listed are the ones on the hole-punched ring.

Then I made personalized cards for each holiday, along with a few random "pick me up" cards, all from shutterfly and tiny prints. They're the same cost as regular cards, but they really have that home-y touch to them. Oh and I also made a few handmade cards for DH and sent them to him, but they were also separate from the "open when" theme. I also made several crafts-- a scroll with paint and craft ivy on it, a message in a bottle with sand, shells, and grass from the beach, etc.

Here are some pictures of the "open when" cards:

Hope this helps! There are obviously more, but I shared some of the less gooey, intimate-y ones
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

6. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

Wow Kat! Those are awesome! Very creative!

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy White Girl View Post
    Wow Kat! Those are awesome! Very creative!
    Thank you lol I know that a lot of folks want someone there for those moments, you know? I just figured that this would be a way for it to be almost like he was venting to me or confiding in me. He said that they did make him feel more like I was there with him, so that was my goal lol.
    ​​​

8. Regular Member
    katinahat, those are AWESOME! Thank you!
    I might have to use some of those jokes, those are great!
    Also, your ring looks amazing

Here's the list I came up with. I'm trying to think of fun things to put in the envelopes with them. And most of them would just be lists or just random stuff in the envelope with a note why I picked what I did. I'm thinking I might put Daily Odd Compliments in all of them, just because I think they're cute.

Open When...
    You need to know how proud I am
    You need a laugh
    You need motivation
    You're bored (I'm going to put bubble wrap in this one )
    You want a hug
    Now
    You've had a bad day
    You need support
    You're homesick
    You're coming home(!!!!!!)
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by catch108stchs View Post
    katinahat, those are AWESOME! Thank you!
    I might have to use some of those jokes, those are great!
    Also, your ring looks amazing

Here's the list I came up with. I'm trying to think of fun things to put in the envelopes with them. And most of them would just be lists or just random stuff in the envelope with a note why I picked what I did. I'm thinking I might put Daily Odd Compliments in all of them, just because I think they're cute.

Open When...
    You need to know how proud I am
    You need a laugh
    You need motivation
    You're bored (I'm going to put bubble wrap in this one )
    You want a hug
    Now
    You've had a bad day
    You need support
    You're homesick
    You're coming home(!!!!!!)
    Oh, a "open this when you're feeling under the weather" is a good one too-- most folks want to be comforted and pampered when they're sick, so it's a great pick-me-up for them
    ​​​