Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First deployment

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

First deployment

Advertisements
    Hey everyone! I am needing some help. I am currently engaged to an amazing guy. He's in the army and stationed in Afghanistan . He left in January and will be back in September sometime. This is his first deployment over seas and his last since he will be out of the military in November. I am having a little trouble getting through these next couple months. I don't know if it is because I'm so excited and we've lasted this long and I'm terrified something is going to happen now or I'm not sure. He's stayed on post for the most part but will starting missions sometime next week...I'm really scared. Is there any advice to get me through this?! I know a bunch of you have been through it a lot and I know it doesn't get any easier in sure.

Thank you
  2. Regular Member
    The thing that seems to work the best for me, is that when he's out on patrols or something, I tell myself that he's been very well trained for the job he's doing. He's had extremely specialized training and he knows how to handle anything that comes his way.
    Try not to worry. Easier said than done, yes, but if you worry about it too much, you'll make yourself sick (speaking from experience).
    The best advice I got in my last deployment was to not watch the news. Of course, that was when they were covering every breath everybody and their cousin took in Iraq, but still. I've broken this rule this time around and the couple times it's mattered, I've been a mess. No news is good news!
    If you can, try not to think about anything happening to him. Try and stay as positive as you can.

I saw something today that said, "When all else fails, imagine the homecoming!"
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    That is awesome! Thank you so much! I've been trying really hard to stay away from the news. But definitely imagining homecoming! Ugh this honestly can't go by fast enough!