Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had a similar experience and did it work out

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Anyone had a similar experience and did it work out

Advertisements
    Hi! I am in the process of getting a divorce that has been long overdue. I recently got on a dating website and a guy in the army that is deployed in Kuwait emailed me. I explained to him I didn't want a long distance relationship. I didn't think I could do it but I would love to have more friends. He eprsisted as I pushed him away from a relationship but we continued to talk and he continued to grow on me. Now I have strong feelings for him and care for him. He was hurt very badly when his ex-wife cheated on him with his friend. We have grown closer through emails. He asked me to get a satellite phone. That made me leary that it has been a scam all along nd he just wanted money. I told him I would not get the phone, buy anything expensive or send money. If that was what he wanted he just needs to move on. He said no he doesn't want to lose me. He keeps apologizing for even asking me because he doesn't want to mess up what we have so far. He just really wants to talk to me. He is Special Ops. I am new to this military stuff. I want to believe him but I don't want my heart broken either. I know that scam artists out there are very good and will spend time working on the scam to get what they want. He says he is thinking to ask his ex to buy the phone for him.

Has anyone met a military guy on an online dating site while they were deployed? Started a relationship online? Had anyone ask you to get a satelite phone for a legit reason? Had the relationship work out once they returned home? I want to believe him. [I] need advice, opinions and your experiences please.

Thanks for your help!
  2. Senior Member
    I'm sure it's worked for somebody somewhere, but I personally would not invest money in someone I had not yet met in person.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I don't want to invest money. I just want to know if it is possible that it isn't a scam. Could he really be interested in me? and is it possible he cannot get the phone himself because of being in Special Ops in Kuwait and asked me to get one not thinking about what he was asking.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Anything is possible of course, but asking you to spend money on him + claiming to be special forces, those are two pretty big red flags.

Plus the big about his ex just doesn't make sense at all. She hurt him so badly and cheated on him, but now she's going to buy him a satellite phone? That totally seems like he is trying to manipulate you into spending money on him. I mean of course he isn't going to just tell you "hey buy me things or I'm going to stop talking to you." Claiming his ex will now do it definitely seems a dig at you.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If every soldier who told a woman he was "Special Ops" and based excuses on that, we would have more special ops than soldiers!

I wouldn't get involved in that. and there is no reason for him to need a satrlite phone to stay in touch with you.

On this board, there has been a lot of experience of people claiming to be special ops when in reality it turned out they were just special liars.

He could be telling the truth, but....
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Senior Member
    i've met my DF online 2yrs ago....granted we didn't get right together then, due to distance and etc b/c like you,i didn't want a long distance relationship plus he's 7yrs younger however now he and i are together and very happy!

i agree with january tho! if someone asks me for something right away thats a huge red flag to me, i would react just how u did. If he kept asking for money, or items then i would walk away....if it's a one time occurance and he understands ur not gunna play that game...then he asked and he learned! and you both now can focus on building the relationship and the meeting plan!
    " u know those things that are like candy canes that taste like christmas in ur mouth what are those called?" " umm candy canes?" "Yeahhhh" R.I.P Christian

907Kim is my wifey
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I met my DH while he was deployed. He isnt special ops or anything but he was in afghan and hes an MP(military police). He never asked me to buy him a satellite phone nor did he ever mention that(dont even know what that is to be honest with you). Is it possible he could be really interested...yes and no. I would take him asking that as a red flag and either proceed with caution or back out completely. How long have you been talking? Are you on facebook? Have you tried looking him up on there? Just be cautious is my advice.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Also, maybe I just done have the exposure, but I don't think Spec-ops actually call themselves that. There actually is no force called "Special Ops."
    there are SEALS, Rangers, etc. And everything I know about military people, there is a lot of branch pride. It is like a navy pilot introducing himself as a "military member" or even "Pilot."

Ladies? what do you think?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Also, maybe I just done have the exposure, but I don't think Spec-ops actually call themselves that. There actually is no force called "Special Ops."
    there are SEALS, Rangers, etc. And everything I know about military people, there is a lot of branch pride. It is like a navy pilot introducing himself as a "military member" or even "Pilot."

Ladies? what do you think?
    i never met or known a "special ops" i thought they were like secrete agents
    " u know those things that are like candy canes that taste like christmas in ur mouth what are those called?" " umm candy canes?" "Yeahhhh" R.I.P Christian

907Kim is my wifey
  10. Senior Member
    Oops sorry, I thought you were asking if it was a good idea or something.

I'm really sorry, but like everyone else, I would be incredibly suspicious of a guy claiming to be special ops, deployed, and asking you to buy him things. It just never seems to turn out well. I'm sure it's worked for somebody somewhere, but those guys tend to be liars.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast