Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: You know your husband is deployed when you...

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You know your husband is deployed when you...

Advertisements
    ...wake up at midnight to install a ghetto lock on your bedroom door because you are convinced serial killers are going to break into your house...

It was my second night alone with the dogs since DH redeployed. Last deployment was a little different since we lived in our old duplex so even though our neighbors were annoying and loud, I knew there was someone else 'in the house' that would be able to help out if anything bad happened. Being in this big house alone is a different story though! Haven't been able to sleep well and our door to our room doesn't lock, so I had the idea to use a spare lock we had bought for our basement on our bedroom...before you know it, I'm standing on a chair, in my nightgown, probably breaking the power drill, trying to get the screws to go into the impossibly hard wood door frame, at midnight. Dogs were looking at me like I was INSANE.

But, hey, I slept through the night!

Anyone else end up doing crazy things to feel safe at night while your SO is away?
  2. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

I got freaked out because my dog was going one night, and moved the dog crate in front of one door (it's the HUGE extra large one) and stacked DF's big black travel trunk box thingys in front of the other door; all at like 2:00am because I couldn't fall back to sleep. I kept thinking someone was coming in. Now there's only one way in and out of my house till DF comes home and we move
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

3. The army may have my man, but I have his heart.
    The army may have my man, but I have his heart.
    Blog Entries
    Have you thought about getting a security system?
  4. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    I just had to at your ghetto lock. I agree with BBabi with looking into getting a security system.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luz*de*su*Vida View Post
    I got freaked out because my dog was going one night, and moved the dog crate in front of one door (it's the HUGE extra large one) and stacked DF's big black travel trunk box thingys in front of the other door; all at like 2:00am because I couldn't fall back to sleep. I kept thinking someone was coming in. Now there's only one way in and out of my house till DF comes home and we move
    Haha, glad I'm not alone! In our old apartment, the bedroom door wasn't on the hinges (it was a very cheap apartment haha), so at night, I'd set it in the doorway as if it was a normal door, then set my laundry baskets and a chair in front of it haha. I also put an air compressor in front of the front door since only had a doorknob lock haha.

Quote Originally Posted by bbabi View Post
    Have you thought about getting a security system?
    Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
    I just had to at your ghetto lock. I agree with BBabi with looking into getting a security system.
    Good idea! I was thinking of looking into it, just worried about how expensive it would be, especially since it's an old fixer upper house so I dont know if we'd have to update the electrical, etc.
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

My ice maker scares the crap out of me. First time it happened DH was still home, and thank goodness because I shook him awake like "babe! I hear something! go check it out!" he listened for a second and was like......"that's the icemaker".......oh okay. But it still gets me sometimes!

My house is like a nightmare for security. It's in a safe place, and we have a big privacy locked gated fenced area, but the huge windows/sliding glass doors ...If someone wanted in I'm sure they could get in. I just try not to think about it.
  7. Senior Member
    I too get freaked out. While DB was still stateside a premob I called him once to have him "walk" me through the house after returning from an extended trip. For some reason being on the phone with him made it all better, although I am not sure what I would have done if I found someone hiding in our house.

Usually I triple check the locks, and use my dog as a security system. I completely sympathize with being afraid serial killers are lurking, I have to regularly calm myself after having these thoughts.
  8. Regular Member
    I know it's been a week since last activity on this thread, but I just had to post- I LOVE that somebody else has midnight, pajama-wearing, insane security freak-outs! We moved in to our new house 8 days before DB left, and since then I have been having a month-long freak-out. It all came to a head when our shed was broken into about a week ago. Since then, I bought five flashlights, installed an outdoor light (im trying to convince the landlord to pony up for a motion-detector light), and rummaged through our Xmas decorations to find the Jingle Bells, which I then hung on the doors.

Glad to know my paranoia is somewhat normal...
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rlm126 View Post
    I too get freaked out. While DB was still stateside a premob I called him once to have him "walk" me through the house after returning from an extended trip. For some reason being on the phone with him made it all better, although I am not sure what I would have done if I found someone hiding in our house.

Usually I triple check the locks, and use my dog as a security system. I completely sympathize with being afraid serial killers are lurking, I have to regularly calm myself after having these thoughts.
    Haha, I have people on the phone with me as I walk through the house too, which definitely makes no real sense, but makes me feel better lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rpGuardGF View Post
    I know it's been a week since last activity on this thread, but I just had to post- I LOVE that somebody else has midnight, pajama-wearing, insane security freak-outs! We moved in to our new house 8 days before DB left, and since then I have been having a month-long freak-out. It all came to a head when our shed was broken into about a week ago. Since then, I bought five flashlights, installed an outdoor light (im trying to convince the landlord to pony up for a motion-detector light), and rummaged through our Xmas decorations to find the Jingle Bells, which I then hung on the doors.

Glad to know my paranoia is somewhat normal...
    Haha, we moved to a safer neighborhood when we bought our house this fall, but of course our car got broken into within the first few weeks! That didn't help me feel safer! So we also did install motion sensor lights, which I usually leave on all night anyway. I always push chairs in front of the doors too and then put the doggy gates in random places for "burglars" to trip over haha.
  10. Senior Member
    We live in base housing and you can see the security forces hang out from my house and i'm STILL paranoid someone is going to break in , so I lean my broom and swiffer bucket against the back door so it would fall over and make a noise if someone got in