Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Korea

1. ArmyDrillSgtWife

Korea

Advertisements
    my husband just left for korea hes been gone 3 days but it feels like 3 yrs at times , ive been told the time will fly by before you know it but this is my first deployment ... any advice .. p.s i live in a small one horse town that offers nothing
  2. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Well, first of all:

Secondly, we just finished a Korea tour. Please feel free to ask any questions you have. You are in the right place!

3. ArmyDrillSgtWife
    how did yall stay in communication with each other? right now we are using our personal cell phones we bought an expensive phone capable of being used over there ... he is still in processing ... im hoping once he gets into his barracks he can get internet or a room phone or something ... are you allowed to say what camp he was at ?!?! im so full of questions this is all new to me 8-)
  4. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    We used the internet. We used Yahoo Messenger w/Voice. It was great. The kids got to see Daddy. We loved it. He should be able to get the internet when he gets settled into his room.

We are Air Force, and for Korea it is perfectly fine to say where they are. My DH was at Kunsan AB.

5. ArmyDrillSgtWife
    yeah, i just downloaded windows messenger live chat or something like that .. plus i have yahoo , and myspace .. we both invested in webcams ... and his cell phone works over there , the price i paid for that thing it better work in the middle of an igloo in the artic circle LOL
    so i take it no personal room phones?
  6. Senior Member
    DH was at Camp Humphreys for a year. He bought a phone out there and just loaded it with minutes every month. He didnt have a laptop so we couldnt communicate by internet. We wrote back and forth and each had journals to write in. I stayed busy. Time went by slowly for me sometimes. But the busier I was the quicker time went. Dh would call once a day after he got off work, which would be around 9 pm PST. I cant say it enough, stay in contact but stay busy. It really does pass the time and keeps you sane. Best of luck!!!
  7. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Philsgurl View Post
    DH was at Camp Humphreys for a year. He bought a phone out there and just loaded it with minutes every month. He didnt have a laptop so we couldnt communicate by internet. We wrote back and forth and each had journals to write in. I stayed busy. Time went by slowly for me sometimes. But the busier I was the quicker time went. Dh would call once a day after he got off work, which would be around 9 pm PST. I cant say it enough, stay in contact but stay busy. It really does pass the time and keeps you sane. Best of luck!!!
    Yeah, staying busy really is key.

8. Senior Member

my ex went to korea when we were together. it does go by fast if you keep your self busy. good luck.
  9. ArmyDrillSgtWife
    thanks for all the advice ladies , 8-) ... i try to stay busy i really do but im new here i mean all my inlaws live in this one horse town.. i have an 18 month old daughter and im almost 3 months pregnant now ... thier are no mommy and me classes , moms groups , no military support groups , all thier is to do here is get drunk , puke in the streets and get arrested ... not my thing kwim ... im thinking about getting a Y membership so i can at least go workout for an hour a day since i live all of 2 blocks from it .. LOL i think right now my main issue is hes still in processing *sigh* which for all of us who are familiar with the process , is the slowest thing ever ... but anyways thanks for the advice ... hey are we allowed to display are myspace address on here?
  10. staruponawishx3
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyDrillSgtWife View Post
    my husband just left for korea hes been gone 3 days but it feels like 3 yrs at times , ive been told the time will fly by before you know it but this is my first deployment ... any advice .. p.s i live in a small one horse town that offers nothing
    I'm with you on this one. My DH has been gone since May 2007 to Korea. Annnnd I actually did move back to my hometown for a while (which like yours, has NOTHING). I personally picked up a full time job (after I was well adjusted to him being gone again, even though this is my second deployment I still had to do some re-adjusting) and I also picked up some addicting computer games (but that's mainly because I wanted to be online all the time in case he logged in). I also spend tons of time with family/friends and made tons of friends on the internet (that are military spouses too). As far as advice, I'd say pick up a hobby or maybe just a part time job.. or volunteer somewhere. If that doesn't sound like fun, just talking to other people that are going through what you are helps alot. I know the first couple of weeks were kind of hard for me both times.. After a little while though, you realize you CAN make it through this and you have to, because after all.. True love survives any distance. If you need anything, don't hesitate to pm me. I'll be happy to answer questions or just let you vent for a while.. Like I said before, I'm right there with ya. And you'll get through this!