Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Any idea of Pre-Deployment timeline & events? (Reserves)

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Any idea of Pre-Deployment timeline & events? (Reserves)

Advertisements
    Hey guys! DH is heading to his first deployment soon. We've been together for many years (since before his Army Reserve days), but only this year have we finally gotten engaged, moved in together, and done our "pre-deployment courthouse wedding". I'm confident that we'll get through the deployment fine. DH has a good head on his shoulders. We've gone through a few month-long training periods this year and I've appreciated the opportunity to learn how to take care of the house on my own and keep busy (not difficult to do as a veterinary medical student!).

DH mentioned that he'll have upcoming meetings to figure out POA, wills, and FRG stuff that may or may not include me. He also mentioned the possibility of a pre-deployment ball.

TLDR; What kind of pre-deployment "family" events are expected, and when do they usually happen in relation to pre-mobilization training and actual training?
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

When DH deployed I know he had a lot of meetings but I was only invited to one. I didn't end up attending but it was supposed to be an informative meeting for the spouses where they would tell more about what to expect, share resources we might want/need, etc. I think I had to work or something, but DH said he could tell me everything I needed to know so not to worry about it. He also made sure the FRG had my info before he left. The meetings happened after he was done with NTC (pre-deployment training).

I would definitely review POA/wills/etc with him before he goes and make sure you have all the documents!

I haven't heard about having a ball especially for deployment, but there could also be one on the schedule that happens before deployment ... it seems there were always a few every year.
  3. Senior Member
    DH's career field deploys every year or so. We usually have one pre-deployment meeting with the MFLAC (counselor/resource people) and that's it. It is DH's responsibility to get everything else done. They have a deployment checklist that pretty much spells it out for them if they're new to the system. I've never heard of a pre-deployment ball, but he isn't reserves so that might be branch/type specific!
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    When DH deployed I know he had a lot of meetings but I was only invited to one. I didn't end up attending but it was supposed to be an informative meeting for the spouses where they would tell more about what to expect, share resources we might want/need, etc. I think I had to work or something, but DH said he could tell me everything I needed to know so not to worry about it. He also made sure the FRG had my info before he left. The meetings happened after he was done with NTC (pre-deployment training).

I would definitely review POA/wills/etc with him before he goes and make sure you have all the documents!

I haven't heard about having a ball especially for deployment, but there could also be one on the schedule that happens before deployment ... it seems there were always a few every year.
    Good to know you made it even without attending the meeting I appreciate your input! I don't know much about our FRG yet, but I definitely plan to get connected with them before he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    DH's career field deploys every year or so. We usually have one pre-deployment meeting with the MFLAC (counselor/resource people) and that's it. It is DH's responsibility to get everything else done. They have a deployment checklist that pretty much spells it out for them if they're new to the system. I've never heard of a pre-deployment ball, but he isn't reserves so that might be branch/type specific!
    Thanks, I'll make sure we make plans to get it done on our own then! I think DH has already met with MFLAC, but honestly that was before we got married and he knows he needs (or we need) to see them again. I've definitely heard of post-deployment balls but am not familiar with anything pre-deployment, so maybe DH was just a little unclear!