Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How often is deployment?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    My neighbor/DH’s friend was Air Force security forces and never deployed once in the 6 years he was in. For a short time he was doing 12 on/12 off shifts but before that it was 8-10 hr shifts (they split the day into 3 shifts--can't remember what that's called). This is a very quiet base though, so it really depends where your SO gets sent. As others said, you need to slow down and roll with the punches.

DH had been doing 12+ hrs shifts Mon-Fri for the first 6 years he was in the Marines. When he got to recruiting, it turned into 14+ hr shifts 6-7 days a week. He’s been on an up to 7 day a week schedule for almost 3 years now. He’s exhausted and doesn’t get a lot of down time which is really hard on him. As much as I struggle with missing him, he has it way worse with the stress he’s under. 3 or 4 years sounds like forever but it is only temporary. I read a lot of horror stories before DH went on this duty: awful hours, extremely hard on the family. It’s all true. But we’re pushing through it and we are able to find some time to go out and enjoy ourselves. I had to learn how to adjust expectations and appreciate what little time we do get.
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 07-18-2016 at 05:45 PM. Reason: typo

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

As many others have said, you need to slow down. You cannot plan his career. You cannot plan for the life you want after four years of AD. You can't plan for deployments that aren't even on the table. He's only in tech school. I don't want to sound harsh, but SF isn't easy. I know a lot of people who failed out and got reclassed. In my career field, drastically different than SF, a lot of people failed out. Nothing is set in stone. You have to take it one day at a time. As I've said in your other posts you can't make plans for more than a few days out because it's likely they're going to change.

As I also stated in another thread, everything is dependent on the squadron and base he gets stationed at. My friends in Hawaii who have been in 2-3 years have not deployed. My friends who have been in 1-2 years at other stateside bases have not deployed but have received orders to Korea after a year. In fact, the only person I know that's SF and has deployed early in his career is an E4, which your DB won't be for over two years. Just relax and try to go with the flow. Times are currently different than they were 10 years ago, but could soon go back to that.

In the military life you cannot plan for anything in advance. I suggest seeking out a counselor to help with your anxiety and help you come up with a way to release the need for control.
  3. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Deployments can come whenever there is need s There is no exact answer. I suggest taking PP's advice and slowing down your thought process.

4. Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for the information and for caring. I must seem a bit crazy sometimes- I am adjusting but I learn quickly and everything you guys have said makes total sense to me and I certainly agree, I do need to slow down. I have had a lot of time to think lately because I am waiting for my nursing program to start in August and do not have friends in the new area I live which is making me want to plan my life story out, I realize I cannot do this now. Going to settle down and roll with the punches. DB gets his phone back tonight and he always is able to make me calm just by hearing his voice.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirgirlBay View Post
    I think this will probably be the right choice for us as well. Do you know what kind of jobs he can get with 4 years experience in Security Forces and a BS in criminal justice? cop is a given but anything else?
    It is common for people to think that Security Forces will help get a job as a cop when one gets out. Unfortunately, if you speak with police departments you will find that this is not the case. Law enforcement is only a small part of what Security Forces does. Once he starts at his permanent duty station he will see what the career field entails.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    It is common for people to think that Security Forces will help get a job as a cop when one gets out. Unfortunately, if you speak with police departments you will find that this is not the case. Law enforcement is only a small part of what Security Forces does. Once he starts at his permanent duty station he will see what the career field entails.
    He does not want to be a cop. He could if he wanted to though because he has family at the top and will have a BS in criminal justice. But yea it will be interesting to see what his career does entail. thanks
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123