Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Deployment To-do List

1. Senior Member

Deployment To-do List

Advertisements
    As much as I hate to think about it, DH deploys next year. I knew to expect it as it pretty much comes with the job, so I'm just taking it in strides. What are things we should make sure are done before he leaves? He has a little less then a year so plenty of time to do things, just want to make sure we dot all I's and cross all T's.

I once saw someone say "make sure you're on his page 4" what specifically does that mean? I know it's best we go to a lawyer and get his will and power of attorney done so we will do that. But what else should be done? Throw it all at me, please!

Thank you!
  2. Senior Member
    Page 2. And that just means not to be morbid but if something were to happen you get all the money. But that can also be based on how he has it all set up. At one point DH had his brother on there of who gets money and after some issues with drugs and all we had him removed. He gets nothing now even though after many years of being clean.

They will give a list but here is a few things:

POA's
    Wills
    Bills that you are able to access
    Life insurance (make sure he has something weather it be though the military or private make sure there is something! )

Thats what I can think of now.
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Get specific POA's (and a general). Base Finance especially won't take a general, and needs to have every single thing you are allowed to inquire about and change listed individually. I also think phone companies are sometimes weird about generals, and they've been known to claim they're shutting off the service members phone but then reactivating, not notifying you/the service member and then sending them to collections (fun times).

Other things we did that I don't typically see listed, and may or may not apply to you (most of it is if you own a house): He showed me the water shut offs for the house (which I actually used three weeks into the deployment when the house flooded ), the breaker box, how to use the lawn mower, do other yard maintenance, and general tips for appliance/plumbing issues, pool maintenance.

You might want to find companies/people and keep a list so if something does happen you already know who to call (we ended up having a bee colony form on our front patio and I had to find someone to eliminate them).

Also, when the time gets closer I recommend making your self a sick day stash of any meds you would take for a cold, tissues, canned/boxed broth or soup. Whatever you'd use for sickness but might not feel like going out to get. I had stuff like Zicam, Sudafed, Nyquil, Mrs. Grass' soup boxes, a stomach calmer (like pepto but it was called something else). Just general stuff that was great to have on hand.

ETA: If you can, get your will done too. We rushed and skipped mine saying we'd do it later....it's been four years and now we need to carve out time for that
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Get specific POA's (and a general). Base Finance especially won't take a general, and needs to have every single thing you are allowed to inquire about and change listed individually. I also think phone companies are sometimes weird about generals, and they've been known to claim they're shutting off the service members phone but then reactivating, not notifying you/the service member and then sending them to collections (fun times).

Other things we did that I don't typically see listed, and may or may not apply to you (most of it is if you own a house): He showed me the water shut offs for the house (which I actually used three weeks into the deployment when the house flooded ), the breaker box, how to use the lawn mower, do other yard maintenance, and general tips for appliance/plumbing issues, pool maintenance.

You might want to find companies/people and keep a list so if something does happen you already know who to call (we ended up having a bee colony form on our front patio and I had to find someone to eliminate them).

Also, when the time gets closer I recommend making your self a sick day stash of any meds you would take for a cold, tissues, canned/boxed broth or soup. Whatever you'd use for sickness but might not feel like going out to get. I had stuff like Zicam, Sudafed, Nyquil, Mrs. Grass' soup boxes, a stomach calmer (like pepto but it was called something else). Just general stuff that was great to have on hand.

ETA: If you can, get your will done too. We rushed and skipped mine saying we'd do it later....it's been four years and now we need to carve out time for that

It's also a good idea to have a list of contractors (plumbers, electricians, car mechanics etc). One universal rule of deployment is that everything breaks.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Nicole View Post

It's also a good idea to have a list of contractors (plumbers, electricians, car mechanics etc). One universal rule of deployment is that everything breaks.
    Amen to this!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kw1214 View Post
    Amen to this!
    Totally. As soon as DH left, shit hit the fan for us (hopefully that doesn't happen to you!) BUT, if it does, DH and I shared a Google spreadsheet where we put important phone numbers, account info, log-in info, etc.
  7. Senior Member
    So much helpful information, and I appreciate it all. Thank you! Good idea on the google spreadsheet, never thought of that. It would come in handy for DH, he always asks me the sign-in info as he never remembers any of them. And on the sick medicine stash. Definitely never would have thought to stock up on that before he leaves.

Stupid question, but I've never(*knock on wood*) needed a lawyer before, is there a specific type I need to go to for a will and POA?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    So much helpful information, and I appreciate it all. Thank you! Good idea on the google spreadsheet, never thought of that. It would come in handy for DH, he always asks me the sign-in info as he never remembers any of them. And on the sick medicine stash. Definitely never would have thought to stock up on that before he leaves.

Stupid question, but I've never(*knock on wood*) needed a lawyer before, is there a specific type I need to go to for a will and POA?
    Just got to legal on base. It's best to do it all together with DH. That way both of you have all your stuff at the same time.