Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't know how to handle his deployment.

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Sad I don't know how to handle his deployment.

Advertisements
    After being a part for 5 month, I got to see my sailor last night for a couple hours just before he left to spend the rest of his leave in South Dakota with his mom since he only has a week. I feel so down and depressed right now because knowing the fact that I'm not going to be seeing him again for a good chunk of time has now finally set in. Apparently the length of his deployment is up to the president that takes control, so it could be 6 months, or 9 months long. He told me that if he doesn't re-enlist that he'd be done in 1 1/2 years, and I hope he chooses not to because that way we can be together. But I want what makes him happy and if he wants to re-enlist he can. I know he has a love-hate relationship with the Navy, I just don't know which feeling over powers what.

"Babe, this isn't the last time you'll see me. I promise!" ~ TJ

I need help, what do I do? How can I make these however months seem like they go by fast? If I start a countdown like I want to do, should I countdown the 6 months or the 9 months? This is my first deployment that I have to encounter as a Navy Girlfriend, so I am new to this whole thing. I knew it was going to be hard, but I never imagined it be this hard.

Do you all have any suggestions or tips on what to do to pass the time? How to make this a bit easier?
    Last edited by snordwall; 05-16-2016 at 10:27 AM.
  2. Senior Member
    First off I'm pretty darn sure the length of his deployment is NOT going to be decided by whoever takes office. I don't know about that Navy, but generally you have an idea of deployment time frames. I would never suggest those times are accurate but I have never heard of that broad of a range. And, frankly I have never heard of an 18 month deployment. Are you sure this is a deployment? Or tour?

None the less, this is a time for you to get busy. Whether it's a new hobby, workout, diet, school or class, get busy and make this time productive for yourself personally. Sit down and list some very specific goals you would like to achieve in this time period. Whatever you do don't just sit there and feel sorry for yourself. I find you have to attack a deployment with keeping yourself busy and productive. It is much better to look back at the end of a deployment and say to yourself "look what I accomplished" then to look back and say "God that was horrible".
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Not the President of United States. One of the Navy Presidents, which ever one takes on his carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Nicole View Post
    First off I'm pretty darn sure the length of his deployment is NOT going to be decided by whoever takes office. I don't know about that Navy, but generally you have an idea of deployment time frames. I would never suggest those times are accurate but I have never heard of that broad of a range. And, frankly I have never heard of an 18 month deployment. Are you sure this is a deployment? Or tour?

None the less, this is a time for you to get busy. Whether it's a new hobby, workout, diet, school or class, get busy and make this time productive for yourself personally. Sit down and list some very specific goals you would like to achieve in this time period. Whatever you do don't just sit there and feel sorry for yourself. I find you have to attack a deployment with keeping yourself busy and productive. It is much better to look back at the end of a deployment and say to yourself "look what I accomplished" then to look back and say "God that was horrible".
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snordwall View Post
    Not the President of United States. One of the Navy Presidents, which ever one takes on his carrier.
    Perhaps some of the Navy people can help out here .... I have never heard of "presidents" of the navy or any other branch.
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Nicole View Post

I would makes suggestions to answer your questions but you already got the answers I would suggest. Never heard of Presidents of the Navy that determine deployment length. Sorry I've gots nothin on that.
  6. Senior Member
    After being a part for 5 month, I got to see my sailor last night for a couple hours just before he left to spend the rest of his leave in South Dakota with his mom since he only has a week. I feel so down and depressed right now because knowing the fact that I'm not going to be seeing him again for a good chunk of time has now finally set in. Apparently the length of his deployment is up to the president that takes control, so it could be 6 months, or 9 months, even 18 months long. He told me that if he doesn't re-enlist that he'd be done in 1 1/2 years, and I hope he chooses not to because that way we can be together. But I want what makes him happy and if he wants to re-enlist he can. I know he has a love-hate relationship with the Navy, I just don't know which feeling over powers what.

"Babe, this isn't the last time you'll see me. I promise!" ~ TJ

I need help, what do I do? How can I make these however months seem like they go by fast? If I start a countdown like I want to do, should I countdown the 6 months, the 9 months, the 18 months or all three? This is my first deployment that I have to encounter as a Navy Girlfriend, so I am new to this whole thing. I knew it was going to be hard, but I never imagined it be this hard.

Do you all have any suggestions or tips on what to do to pass the time? How to make this a bit easier?
    Based on your threads, it seems like you started dating your boyfriend 5 months ago.

First off, there isn't a President of the Navy. You may be thinking of the CO. Also, he should have an idea of how long his deployment is and I can pretty much guarantee you that it will not come close to 18 months. Maybe more like 7 (but I'm sure a Navy SO will chime in and give you better info).

7. Senior Member
    There are no Navy presidents. He might mean the commanding officer (aka CO). That's the title of the person in charge of a unit, OP, more or less. But the length of a deployment isn't going to be up to the CO either. Oh, and an 18 month deployment is pretty much unheard of in the post Vietnam Navy, if not before, so he's not going to be deployed for 18 months. Year long deployments are pretty unusual, but they do happen very occasionally. In the current climate, 9 months is starting to be a bit unusual, but not all that odd, but more than that is uncommon enough that people would take note of it.

I wouldn't could down, but then I never do, even if I think we have a return date. First, those can and do change. Second, I think it focuses things too much on just getting by, rather than thriving while he's gone. If you must count something, count the time that has passed, so you can look at what you've survived and hopefully what you've accomplished in that time.
    Last edited by villanelle; 05-15-2016 at 09:04 PM.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Most of my navy friends have had 6 month deployments. Some even had only 4.
  9. Senior Member
    I also saw that you said it was a 6 month deployment in your first thread. While it is possible for that to be changed I don't think it would be tripled to 18. If that's even a thing
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Based on your threads, it seems like you started dating your boyfriend 5 months ago.
    And this is the second time you have seen him?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast