Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LittleBlueFishie & Lost&faraway October Deployment Pals

1. ...

Jump for Joy LittleBlueFishie & Lost&faraway October Deployment Pals

Advertisements
    Say to your pal!
  2. Senior Member
    How are you?

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  3. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl

I am doing good! Well, dragging a bit from the late night last night but Im having a good day so far . This is my last week of freedom before I start my new job () so I am trying to make the most of it. Today Im doing a long work out then going to get my drug test and spending some time cleaning later.

I am really looking forward to getting to know you! I saw you're a deployment vet and do not know exactly how many days your DH has been gone (lol, I've been a little obsessed), so I am hoping you can pass on some of your deployment wisdom. I just started the 2nd month. There were some really, really hard times during the first month but in general I've been feeling good now

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
    yeah, after a very long time of not using it I am trying to blog again!
  4. Senior Member
    Enjoy your freedom.

I'm doing tons of cleaning too but I have to arrange it around my work schedule so it's slow going.

I look forward to getting to know you, as well. I'll pass on whatever wisdom I've managed to accumulate during both of our deployments.

First bit of advice: Dont count how many days they have been gone. Last deployment I could tell you how long he'd been gone to the day without even thinking about it and the entire deployment just dragged on and on. This deployment I dont think about it and as far as I'm aware DH left yesterday but in reality we're getting ready for him to come home sometime next month. Makes for a much happier wife.

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  5. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost&faraway View Post
    Enjoy your freedom.

I'm doing tons of cleaning too but I have to arrange it around my work schedule so it's slow going.

I look forward to getting to know you, as well. I'll pass on whatever wisdom I've managed to accumulate during both of our deployments.

First bit of advice: Dont count how many days they have been gone. Last deployment I could tell you how long he'd been gone to the day without even thinking about it and the entire deployment just dragged on and on. This deployment I dont think about it and as far as I'm aware DH left yesterday but in reality we're getting ready for him to come home sometime next month. Makes for a much happier wife.
    Do you and your DH has kids? I imagine that changes a deployment a lot. DH and I dont have kids. We're pretty happy being little "yuppies" with our dog as our "baby" . I haven't been counting days, but I have been looking at our DOM percentage go up and up. So far it has just been encouraging and every time we hit a new percentage ending with a 5 I feel really accomplished. Our deployment is short compared to the standard and DH is getting out. Army life has been hard for me so I feel like this is the one last hurdle until we are "free."

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
  6. Senior Member
    No kids here. DH wants to try once he gets home so we'll see. I've never entirely understood how the DOM work. Though I'm sure that watching a percentage go up is most certainly encouraging. How long (approx.) is this deployment gonna last if you dont mind my asking? Dh and I have never have one that is shorter than 10 months so I'm trying to figure out what short means.

I'm sure that also looking forward to an ETS is exciting and frustrating because its close but still out of reach. If when it comes time for your DH to ETS and you have questions I'd be happy to help. I work with a lot of soldiers who are working on ETSing so if I dont already have the answer I can get the answers out of any number of the ladies/gentlemen who come to the store.

― Rose Kennedy
  7. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    No kids here. DH wants to try once he gets home so we'll see. I've never entirely understood how the DOM work. Though I'm sure that watching a percentage go up is most certainly encouraging. How long (approx.) is this deployment gonna last if you dont mind my asking? Dh and I have never have one that is shorter than 10 months so I'm trying to figure out what short means.

I'm sure that also looking forward to an ETS is exciting and frustrating because its close but still out of reach. If when it comes time for your DH to ETS and you have questions I'd be happy to help. I work with a lot of soldiers who are working on ETSing so if I dont already have the answer I can get the answers out of any number of the ladies/gentlemen who come to the store.
    Short for us is 6 months . Around how long is your deployment?

I will take you up on the offer for information when ETSing. Honestly now we're 8 months out and I am nervous that we should already be doing something for it, the whole process with the moves and everything seems so complicated. We are planning on taking a long sabbatical, like 9 months or so, off after our ETS. So we want to move our stuff to where we're going to live after and put it in storage. But I dont know how we do the filing and how long it takes to do that, that kind of stuff. I'm guessing that 8 months out is too far ahead to be worrying about that kind of stuff, right? I am also nervous because I know June is a top PCS month, so I dont want to end up having something crazy happy b/c it is June (although we might end up staying here until July, not sure yet).

Adventures In Love
  8. Senior Member
    10 months for us, this time, and only because we transferred to this unit 2 weeks out of their deployment date. They let him stay til January since inprocessing takes a long, long time here. Apparently you cant outprocess for deployment unless youve been fully inprocessed to post first.

I'm so confused by your last paragraph and I'm gonna blame it on running on the minimum amount of sleep necessary for survival. I should probably go to bed but I'm pretty sure the reason I cant stop giggle for no reason means the adrenaline has started to kick in.

― Rose Kennedy
  9. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    10 months for us, this time, and only because we transferred to this unit 2 weeks out of their deployment date. They let him stay til January since inprocessing takes a long, long time here. Apparently you cant outprocess for deployment unless youve been fully inprocessed to post first.

I'm so confused by your last paragraph and I'm gonna blame it on running on the minimum amount of sleep necessary for survival. I should probably go to bed but I'm pretty sure the reason I cant stop giggle for no reason means the adrenaline has started to kick in.
    I hope you got to bed! I'm glad they let him stay a little bit extra, that is a lot to handle all at once!

I'll try to do this in bullets and hopefully it'll make more sense.

ETS date is now under 8 months. That brings us to June, the busiest time to move from what I've heard. We will most likely try to stay here until July though.

We plan on taking a 9 month vacation after the Army. So we want to take our stuff to storage close to where we are moving to after the vacation- in the same state DH's HOR is.

Once we do our move (and I dont know how we're going to do it yet) we will have to file the final paperwork. I have no idea if this is an online type of thing or if this is something we will need to go to a base to do.

I have been told that we can't go talk to people until we are within 3 months (or about that) of the ETS about our moving options. But, we have a lot to plan so I would like to know what we are doing before that. I am thinking I should start working on this stuff in a month or two but I really dont know, it is my first PCS.

was that a little more logical?

Adventures In Love
  10. Senior Member
    Much easier. You should look into doing a DITY move and using PODs. I'm not sure if the Army will pay for it but its something to call into the moving office and ask about. With PODs you would just load all your stuff into this movable storage container and they can store it at one of their climate controlled warehouses until you are ready for it. You should be able to call them and ask questions about what is and isnt possible.

― Rose Kennedy
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast