Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bush Confident Bin Laden will be captured...

1. Joy
    Banned
    Banned
    Advertisements
    Comparing the monumental evil of Hitler to the bungling, incompetence and banality that is George Bush II is simply ridiculous.

Trying to draw a comparison between Hitler and Bush only indicates a lack of understanding history, human nature and the character of either man.

There are legitimate reasons to dislike and oppose the President, but trying to cast him as an American Fuhrer is just silly.

It only cheapens and coarsens a debate when The Hitler Card is played. I think this news story has gone wonderfully from a discussion to the possibilities of a very interesting debate. But I won't debate the comparison of Bush to Hitler, comparison between the administration and the rise of fascism might be a better way to put it. Debating the actions of two men and their similarities don't really get to the issue. Obviously, some have an issue with the appearance of excessive control and rise of fascism with the President. That I am willing to debate. I will not put my President in the same shoes of that monster. Invading our privacy for the safety of the nation, I can handle, may not agree with but can handle. The inhumane treatement of millions? That isn't even a comparison.
  2. Senior Member
    I would just like to clarify that I only used the reference of Hitler rising to power as a way to demonstrate that:
    A. Just because people vote for someone does not make it the best choice.
    B. The choice of the majority is not always the best choice.

Using the analogy does indicate a knowledge of history. It is a history of political processes and human error. As a historian, just because one says something like "this reminds me of the 3rd Reich" it does not necessarily mean that it is indicating evils. It merely means that there are certain similarities. Studying history means not taking things at face value. One must be anylitical, read between the lines, and make a personal opinion based on artifacts given while drawing analogies from knowledge of similar happenings. When one says "Bush is like Hitler" do not automatically assume evil. Ask them what they mean by it. There may have been lines that were not looked between.
  3. Joy
    Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMgirl20
    I would just like to clarify that I only used the reference of Hitler rising to power as a way to demonstrate that:
    A. Just because people vote for someone does not make it the best choice.
    B. The choice of the majority is not always the best choice.

Using the analogy does indicate a knowledge of history. It is a history of political processes and human error. As a historian, just because one says something like "this reminds me of the 3rd Reich" it does not necessarily mean that it is indicating evils. It merely means that there are certain similarities. Studying history means not taking things at face value. One must be anylitical, read between the lines, and make a personal opinion based on artifacts given while drawing analogies from knowledge of similar happenings. When one says "Bush is like Hitler" do not automatically assume evil. Ask them what they mean by it. There may have been lines that were not looked between.

I completely understand your clarification. I see"similarities" in some of the judgement issues that people have with Bush and his actions regarding terrorism and the middle east conflicts but as things go, the man, as our President can't seem to "win". He is blamed for being too docile, then when he does show a ounce of this country's power he is judged harshly again. In a democracy, as we have today, it would be near impossible to turn the excess of freedom we have now to the turmoil and dictatorship Germany faced years ago.

Bush may not be the prime example of a leader we are in need of today but like I posted before, he has done the best, imo, with what he was handed.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Comparing the monumental evil of Hitler to the bungling, incompetence and banality that is George Bush II is simply ridiculous.

Trying to draw a comparison between Hitler and Bush only indicates a lack of understanding history, human nature and the character of either man.

There are legitimate reasons to dislike and oppose the President, but trying to cast him as an American Fuhrer is just silly.

It only cheapens and coarsens a debate when The Hitler Card is played. I think this news story has gone wonderfully from a discussion to the possibilities of a very interesting debate. But I won't debate the comparison of Bush to Hitler, comparison between the administration and the rise of fascism might be a better way to put it. Debating the actions of two men and their similarities don't really get to the issue. Obviously, some have an issue with the appearance of excessive control and rise of fascism with the President. That I am willing to debate. I will not put my President in the same shoes of that monster. Invading our privacy for the safety of the nation, I can handle, may not agree with but can handle. The inhumane treatement of millions? That isn't even a comparison.
    I did not at any point compare Bush's actions to the inhumane treatment of millions. I object to being called silly and rediculous and cheap - it's a debate and I was making a valid point. I have not once indicated that I think Bush is evil or stupid, I have only stated that as WW2 started many people in Germany thought that Hitler was doing the right thing, just as many people think Bush is doing the right thing now.

I personally dont think he has done the best with what he has been handed, but that is just my opinion - I would not call you rediculous for thinking otherwise.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, Jesus (Joshua) was persecuted for his beliefs and actions as well. It's safe to assume that the Romans probably wrote about this backwater troublemaker who was threatening to disrupt the order of the empire.
  6. Joy
    Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zelda780
    I did not at any point compare Bush's actions to the inhumane treatment of millions. I object to being called silly and rediculous and cheap - it's a debate and I was making a valid point. I have not once indicated that I think Bush is evil or stupid, I have only stated that as WW2 started many people in Germany thought that Hitler was doing the right thing, just as many people think Bush is doing the right thing now.

I personally dont think he has done the best with what he has been handed, but that is just my opinion - I would not call you rediculous for thinking otherwise.
    I wasn't calling you out as an individual, silly, and ridiculous. The comparison that is used by many, IMO, is silly and ridiculous. Whenever, there is a leader that is handed a situation like Bush has been and they take decisive action, they are compared to Hitler and his dictatorship actions. It's old. Like you said, this is a debate, so I really hope you aren't taking what is being said personally. I am not debating the validity of your opinion, just the comparision that many have used against Bush.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234