Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Polygamists

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by catdiesta62
    well the only religion i can think of is the M one. but i dont think thats it. is it?
    Being that i'm LDS (Mormon) I can honestly say its not us, but I can't say its not The Reformed LDS now called Community of Christ. They have alot differnet practices then us.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Potatocup
    By LAW, the man cannot take the children away from the woman if she decides to leave and give a different life to her children. She stays because according to their RELIGION, the man keeps the kids.

Also, I doubt that in EVERY polygamist family there is sexual abuse.
    Well, my post was about what I watched. I don't know anything about other countries...but I am sure, like you stated, that it goes on and probably WORSE things happen.

As far as what the law is, as I stated before, the state doesn't get invovled now. They tried to YEARS ago but they had women screaming for their husbands & father of their kids, so they let it be. Many women that have left, have created organizations to try to educate these women in these relationships still & are a type of shelter for the women who have ran away.

Also, a representative of the state came on too and stated that sure...they could arrest all these people (as this type of lifestyle is actually ILLEGAL) but then where would they put them?

So someone might bring up, why would those women be screaming for their husbands? Maybe they were happy (I'm sure there might be familys in that religion that do fine & the kids are fine), but maybe a lot of them have that "beaten wife syndrome"- where they were used to their circumstances & life, while not happy inside w/ it, that they panicked.

Men have gotten away w/ the sexual abuse, making 16 yr+ marry them and getting rid of the mother, etc. b/c they CAN. One man killed his daughter b/c he "disciplined her to death". What was his punishment? 23 months or something around that.

Besides there being too many people to imprison, the state is also afraid to get invovled b/c these people cry "religion."
    Last edited by Rach; 02-23-2006 at 12:31 PM.
  3. Senior Member
    The state doesn't get involved proactively, but if a woman took her husband to court over custody of the children would the courts throw the case out? If a girl brought charges against someone who abused her, would they throw the case out? I guess my issue with this and saying polygamy in general is wrong is that this insufficient punishment issue happens in more than just this when it comes to abuse, etc.

Here is my question on what the state rep said. Is it illegal to marry more than one person or have relationships with mulitple women? If it's illegal to MARRY more than one woman, technically this man would never legally be married to any but one of the woman, so what would they arrest them for? Cheating? (assuming no abuse was reported).

I think what comes out of this is that it is a sad day when the cry of religion supersedes peoples' rights as human beings. I see this issue as not polygamy is wrong, but that the fact that the where there IS a reason for the state to step in and stop something they can't because of the freedoms that this country is based on. That is abuse of a core concept of this country.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think what comes out of this is that it is a sad day when the cry of religion supersedes peoples' rights as human beings. I see this issue as not polygamy is wrong, but that the fact that the where there IS a reason for the state to step in and stop something they can't because of the freedoms that this country is based on. That is abuse of a core concept of this country.

I totally agree w/ that, Potatocup. Just like this, aren't there other American issues that happen but nothing is done b/c religion is used as an excuse...the government needs to be PC now? My brain isn't working so I can't think off the top of my head any certain case.

I never said Polygamy as far as married couples who are swingers is WRONG...I said what I watched and what is happening in that state & where ever else this might be happening in the US is wrong. They talked very briefly about other states (WI, Iowa, etc) that have this, but they didn't get into it as they don't live in those states.

I will say I think this religion is wrong, however. I think it teaches their children the wrong things. The sons are brought up to view women as what they see and the girls are brought up to feel they need to obey their husband & only care for their family. One boy even said "I can't wait to have 3 wives." That's just my opinion as far as how I see the religion (if abuse isn't happening & women are actually fine w/ their circumstances). If I met someone like this, I wouldn't blast them, but for my stance on it, I don't agree with it.

Also, I wish I could remember exactly what was said, but something along the lines of these people live on welfare since they have so many children & the wives stay at home to care for the house.

I just feel there is SO much more going on w/ this "religion" than just people who feel God wants them to live their life this way.
    Last edited by Rach; 02-23-2006 at 12:56 PM.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach
    I will say I think this religion is wrong, however. I think it teaches their children the wrong things. The sons are brought up to view women as what they see and the girls are brought up to feel they need to obey their husband & only care for their family. One boy even said "I can't wait to have 3 wives."
    I agree with that too. My problem is that there are many things about several religions that I feel is wrong to teach your children (like intolerance which is I feel is perpetrated throughout almost all religions). Now this particular religion is extreme and I'd be "more against" this religion than others, because I don't see any redeeming qualities, but where do we draw the line on choosing morals and religions for people and dictating what lawful families can teach their children? Now, if unlawful things are happening, that should be treated on a case-by-case basis.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Now this particular religion is extreme and I'd be "more against" this religion than others, because I don't see any redeeming qualities, but where do we draw the line on choosing morals and religions for people and dictating what lawful families can teach their children?
    Good question...
  7. Cat
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn
    Being that i'm LDS (Mormon) I can honestly say its not us, but I can't say its not The Reformed LDS now called Community of Christ. They have alot differnet practices then us.

no dawn i really didnt think it was mormans cause i have an idea of what they believe and i think they used to practice polygamy but i dont know if they still do or not but i know they dont do any of these unspeakable acts against women and children.

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yeah, I've heard also that Mormons believe they can marry more than 1 women?

Again, I know nothing about this religion and have never been told anything bad about it...just that part I was told.

People I've known who are Mormon were only married to 1 person though.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by catdiesta62
    no dawn i really didnt think it was mormans cause i have an idea of what they believe and i think they used to practice polygamy but i dont know if they still do or not but i know they dont do any of these unspeakable acts against women and children.

I said that I am Mormon so I know its not us, but there was a group of memebrs that fell away from the church after Joseph Smith was killed that didn't believe Brigham Young shouldn't be the prophet of the church. So they left and formed the Reformed Latter-Day Saints which have now changed there name to Community of Christ. And they have alot of the same teachings as the old Latter-day Saints did. Yes at one time Mormons were known for having more than 1 spouse but when they got to Utah, in oder for Utah to because a state it couldn't be legal so the church stopped that practice, but the Reformed never did and I'm not sure if they ever have..I don't know alot of there teachings.
  10. I'm too cool for words
    I'm too cool for words
    The practice is sick sick sick!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234