Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: The WIC debate

1. Jennifer

The WIC debate

Advertisements
    I think if you are to have children planning on the WIC program to help you out is very very wrong. If you cannot afford to feed your own children then quit having them. I can understand being on the WIC program for a little bit to help out. Please don't use the WIC program to save money or use it as part of your budget. I think people abuse the program and it is one of the worst run programs out there.
  2. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    WOW never once said I was abusing the system. Let alone would any of us military spouses ever absue the system. I can pay for my kids very well and still make my chid support payments on time plus some. How dare you assume that a simple question and being grateful for a program made to help mothers and their children mean we can not take care of our children. I paid way over 6500 in states taxes last year and have no problem relaying on them to help me now.

I can not even seak right now. You have just pissed me off with your ignorant comment.

3. It's YOUR choice
    It's YOUR choice
    From a paper in school
    Food assistance programs were begun in the 1940’s by the American government as a way to improve the nutritional status of Americans. A need was recognized by the government when boys who were undernourished in preteen years were rejected by the draft for various nutrition related problems. It became clear that America had a hunger problem. We were not in much better shape than other starving post war countries.
    In 1946 the National School Lunch Program was started to offset the nutritional deficiencies of America’s schoolchildren. Other programs followed: Food Stamp Program (1964), School Breakfast Program (1966), and many others. In the late sixties, it was evident that nutritional risk began with women who became pregnant and were undernourished, drug addicted, or ill. As a possible solution to this particular category the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) was introduced as a pilot program in 1974. It is controlled by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
    Under this program nutritional education, food vouchers, referral services, and breastfeeding promotion, education, and support are provided to women who are pregnant or breastfeeding and those caregivers who have children under the age of five years. People are accepted into the free, volunteer program if they qualify under any one of the many risk categories (chart 1) and if their income is under 185% of the national poverty level (chart 2). The foods which are allowed provide five specific nutrients: protein, calcium, iron, and vitamins A and C (attachment 1). Referral services can include those for immunizations, family planning, physical or substance abuse treatment, prenatal care, family planning, or breastfeeding support. Individual and group counseling sessions are encouraged to gain vital nutritional information.
    WIC is 185% the national poverty level so MANY more people can participate. Also, you can be a millionaire and still qualify due to anemina or another common woman problem. It is NOT welfare. It is a referral program. It is a breastfeeding promotion program. It is free information and teaching program. Most states require regular monthly classes that teach mothers how to prepare quick, easy, nutritious snacks and meals.

So many people think its just the government handing out free money. It is not. It is a USDA program that focuses on certain childhood issues. The more people that use it the more healthy children become. Hopefully with programs like these and others America will slim down some and the obesity epidemic will end.

And as for people using it as the only means to feed their children is crazy. You only get about 6 gallons of milk, 2 boxes of cereal, dozen eggs, jar of peanut butter, pound of cheese, and 6 bottles of juice. That is NOT enough to sustain a child each month. The formula for babies is enough for the first few months but the they start eating more than what you get so parents have to buy more then too. I have never heard of anyone having a child because WIC will feed them.
    Freedom and Liberty require Service and Sacrifice
  4. It's YOUR choice
    It's YOUR choice
    For someone to come on here and make assumptions and never have had any experience with the program only says they are trying to create drama. There is no reason for anyone to be ashamed to be on WIC. The criteria set for women to participate makes so that almost everyone can.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yep, April. That's why I don't feel bad using it.

Anyways, not like it matters cuz it doesn't, but I only buy the milk & cheese with it. Got eggs twice & peanut butter once, but we never really eat that.

If you don't use up the checks, it goes back to the state for someone else.

Like I said in Michelle's post- I paid taxes for this shit & he pays taxes still for it. I'm going to use it.

I don't even factor it in our budget. We save maybe $10 every 2 months...Whoooweeee
  6. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    Thank you April. You said everything that is my head right now but I just can't get out of my mouth.

7. Jennifer
    I was on WIC so I do know about it. My son could have been on it for 5 years because of his special needs but we didn't need to use it. I also would never have more kids if I had to use it.
  8. Jennifer
    As for saying I am causing drama is ridiculous. I find bragging about being on WIC is wrong. I can think of other things to put my tax money towards then paying for women to keep on having kids.
  9. It's YOUR choice
    It's YOUR choice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    I was on WIC so I do know about it. My son could have been on it for 5 years because of his special needs but we didn't need to use it. I also would never have more kids if I had to use it.
    No one HAS to use it. It is a free volunteer program aimed at education.
  10. Jennifer
    Who on earth gets educated??? WHo especially if you continue to go back and use the system.
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast