Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: cutting back on food stamps

1. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    3.55%

cutting back on food stamps

Advertisements
    White House wants to deliver food to the poor, Blue Apron-style - Feb. 12, 2018

trump wants to replace half of a family's food stamp benefits with a box of food "home grown, nutritional," food. Like canned meats.

I think this is absolutely terrible.
    My family of six receives food stamps (when the navy finally decides to pay my husband, we will no longer need it) and honestly, we use every penny of it. We don't buy "luxurious" grocery items, but we do purchase food for our kids like you purchase for yours (I so buy the cheapest brands).
    My oldest is *gasp* a picky eater, an under weight picky eater. So now they would tell me what I could feed her and reduce my ability to do so?
    Our allotted balance is very realistic, we often either have 10 bucks rolling over to the next month, or have to get extremely creative for a few meals at the end of the month.

These boxes will be shelf stable, no fresh food. No bananas (half my son's calories I swear), no apples (the only fruit my oldest will touch).
    Imagine, from a health stand point, how much sodium this will add to a person's diet?
    Do we want to predispose our poor to heart disease and strokes?

I guess being poor my kids don't deserve fresh fruit or vegetables, or things like bread that aren't shelf stable. I should be feeding them rice and canned ham. My mistake. And god FORBID my child ever wants an oreo or goldfish cracker. NO! You were born poor, clearly by your own faults.

After his tax bill, this just feels like another way to kick the poor while they are down.
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    5.66%
    While I think the plan is ridiculous and there's no plan to actually execute delivery of these boxes it's a pipe dream and once delivery is factored in it won't save money. That said the plan is not to replace the entire buffet with the facts so families would still get some money in the more traditional format that they could use to buy fresh foods, specialty items, etc. that would cover those apples and bananas, fresh meats, fresh veggies, milk and dairy, and all that sort of thing. This is only replacing part of the benefit with the Box, not the full benefit.

But, as I said this silly little proposal didn't actually take into account getting boxes to people so I think it's pretty safe bet that it's never going to happen, or at least not in these proposal's current form.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    93.62%
    While I don't think shelf stable products only are the solution there's definitely people out there who abuse the system

When we lived in WI it was such a small (and poor) town (if you weren't a lawyer or a doctor the "high" paid job was $12/hr and typically if you wanted a 40hr week you had to try to work 2 jobs because most wouldn't work full time over 30 so they wouldn't need to provide health insurance) as such a HUGE chunk of the population there was on food stamps. And honestly there were some pretty atrocious uses for the food stamps (and even people who would let other people use their cards in exchange for cash to get cigarettes or alcohol) and also a lot of fraud (couples who each had children from previous relationships claiming to be on their own to they each got food stamps and childcare assistance when they were a dual income household...) it's definitely not a perfect system and some people abuse it and ruin it for those who actually use it properly.

WIC was a program I always thought was fantastic and allowed for less abuse since it allowed you items instead of dollar amounts (milk, fresh produce, breads, juice, etc) are you able to get WIC assistance?
  4. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    3.55%
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    While I don't think shelf stable products only are the solution there's definitely people out there who abuse the system

When we lived in WI it was such a small (and poor) town (if you weren't a lawyer or a doctor the "high" paid job was $12/hr and typically if you wanted a 40hr week you had to try to work 2 jobs because most wouldn't work full time over 30 so they wouldn't need to provide health insurance) as such a HUGE chunk of the population there was on food stamps. And honestly there were some pretty atrocious uses for the food stamps (and even people who would let other people use their cards in exchange for cash to get cigarettes or alcohol) and also a lot of fraud (couples who each had children from previous relationships claiming to be on their own to they each got food stamps and childcare assistance when they were a dual income household...) it's definitely not a perfect system and some people abuse it and ruin it for those who actually use it properly.

WIC was a program I always thought was fantastic and allowed for less abuse since it allowed you items instead of dollar amounts (milk, fresh produce, breads, juice, etc) are you able to get WIC assistance?
    we could probably get it, for us though, we should not need assistance after this week.
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    84.28%

These one-off anecdotes only reinforce harmful stereotypes. I think it's incredibly reckless to spew these tales as justification. Just because YOU saw abuse doesn't mean the system as a whole is abused. Food stamps provide necessary and vital nutrition to families, and especially children, who would otherwise go hungry.
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    52.16%
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    These one-off anecdotes only reinforce harmful stereotypes. I think it's incredibly reckless to spew these tales as justification. Just because YOU saw abuse doesn't mean the system as a whole is abused. Food stamps provide necessary and vital nutrition to families, and especially children, who would otherwise go hungry.
    If it is "reckless" to use one story or observation as justification that the system is abused then why isn't it misleading to use one story as a rationale for why the system works and is successful. And obviously just because one person sees abuse doesn't mean the whole system is awful and abused. It just means it happens some percentage of the time. If we want to fix problems with systems it is okay to talk about how and why they are broken, in my opinion.

Related to the article- I see nothing wrong with this box being part (but not all) of the assistance given. The foods to be included are staples that many (me included) eat on a daily basis. I am also a fan of the school lunch programs that are government funded because they guarantee that school aged children are receiving at least one or two good quality meals a day.
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    3.55%
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    If it is "reckless" to use one story or observation as justification that the system is abused then why isn't it misleading to use one story as a rationale for why the system works and is successful. And obviously just because one person sees abuse doesn't mean the whole system is awful and abused. It just means it happens some percentage of the time. If we want to fix problems with systems it is okay to talk about how and why they are broken, in my opinion.

Related to the article- I see nothing wrong with this box being part (but not all) of the assistance given. The foods to be included are staples that many (me included) eat on a daily basis. I am also a fan of the school lunch programs that are government funded because they guarantee that school aged children are receiving at least one or two good quality meals a day.
    But you PICK your staples. If you choose to eat spam and canned fruit cocktail, does that mean my kids would eat that?
    Point blank, this is bad for families. This is bad for children. My son's banana addiction would have to stop. My oldest daughter who is under weight and has bowel issues will only touch apples which help her *ahem* issues.
    Do my kids not deserve fresh food because we are broke?
    My sister has been on food stamps since she is paralyzed from a stroke (she used to be a social worker), why on earth would it make sense to replace anything with "shelf stable" food that has more sodium (look at ingredients even in canned veggies) which increases risk of stroke???

The thing with abuse, is that you don't see the people quietly using their food stamps for food and abiding by the rules.
    I keep my card in my purse until the last minute, and then I hold it so nobody can see the "Ohio" on it and swipe it as quickly as I can and attempt to block anyone from seeing that I am using food stamps.
    I am ashamed when I'm using them and sure someone is judging me for having four kids on food stamps and owning a vera bradley purse (got as a gift for being a bridesmaid last summer). Most people don't advertise, so you don't realize how many people are not abusing the system.
  8. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    84.28%
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post

Where did I do that?
  9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    93.62%
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    If you read what I said I wrote in there the people who abuse it ruin it for those who actually use it properly and benefit from it. I am in no way saying it is not a needed program! Or that everyone abuses the system. I am giving examples I have personally witnessed of people misusing the system. Which legit happens. There's a reason you can no longer use the food stamps for alcohol and tobacco products because people used the money on this instead of food. The program evolves with an attempt to prevent misuse. As I also said, these people who misuse the program ruin it for those who are using it correctly and who need it because it results in extra rules and restrictions which can prevent good purchases as well. Everyone who abuses the system also takes it away from those who could actually benefit from the system! Dual income household that have 2 people on assistance claiming both to be single actually take away from that single mom out there who only has her income but maybe now she got pushed out...
    It is 100% a needed program and helps a lot of people, but it is abused by some people which is something that needs to be addressed and resolved as they ruin it for the people who need it.
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    84.28%
    If you read what I said I wrote in there the people who abuse it ruin it for those who actually use it properly and benefit from it. I am in no way saying it is not a needed program! Or that everyone abuses the system. I am giving examples I have personally witnessed of people misusing the system. Which legit happens. There's a reason you can no longer use the food stamps for alcohol and tobacco products because people used the money on this instead of food. The program evolves with an attempt to prevent misuse. As I also said, these people who misuse the program ruin it for those who are using it correctly and who need it because it results in extra rules and restrictions which can prevent good purchases as well. Everyone who abuses the system also takes it away from those who could actually benefit from the system! Dual income household that have 2 people on assistance claiming both to be single actually take away from that single mom out there who only has her income but maybe now she got pushed out...
    It is 100% a needed program and helps a lot of people, but it is abused by some people which is something that needs to be addressed and resolved as they ruin it for the people who need it.
    I stand by my previous statement that one-off anecdotes reinforce harmful stereotypes. That was my main point.
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast