Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: cutting back on food stamps

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    That's wonderful!

I've definitely been in the situation where I have had to tell my kids no to fruit because it's expensive...it sucks...I definitely wish there was a better system where healthy organic food was as cheap as a big mac :s

I honestly wish all children qualified for WIC so that all parents could guarantee affording milk, bread, fruits, veggies...
    You can see if you have an organic crop/farm share near you. Several near me offer a share for work (like 1/2 day twice a month). It's not a big picture solution, but easier access with some cost to organic vegetables locally grown that you might not purchase otherwise.
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by AMP1984 View Post
    I think it is a very serious misuse of the system because it takes it away from people who actually really need the programs and it should be addressed. Not by limiting what people can get but to have harsher screening processes and weed out people who lie about how many adults are in their household...
    Do you not see how you're perpetuating the stereotype? Like, at all?

Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    NSLP sponsorship in my state requires a vegetable/fruit and milk. I would only know based on what I have read, have never actually seen a provided lunch. I would have to take your word on it.
    Wellllllll it's the same program that considered tomato paste, full of salt and sugar, on pizza, a vegetable.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post

Wellllllll it's the same program that considered tomato paste, full of salt and sugar, on pizza, a vegetable.
    Well, I can't win its okay. I suppose our government should just hand out blank checks to those in need. I ate a peanut butter sandwich on white bread and canned/sugared fruit for lunch for years. It was what could be afforded and the "staples" got lots of us to adulthood. And who doesn't like pizza. If obesity is the problem I would be snatching the video games away and turning off the TV, not doing battle with school lunches.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    Well, I can't win its okay. I suppose our government should just hand out blank checks to those in need. I ate a peanut butter sandwich on white bread and canned/sugared fruit for lunch for years. It was what could be afforded and the "staples" got lots of us to adulthood. And who doesn't like pizza. If obesity is the problem I would be snatching the video games away and turning off the TV, not doing battle with school lunches.
    Yikes.
  5. Senior Member
    You even said yourself that the new plan is only fot half of the allotment. Why not buy your fresh foods, veggies, etc with the traditional half? If foods do end up being delivered it could be extremely beneficial for families without a car, busy single parents, disabled people, etc.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    You even said yourself that the new plan is only fot half of the allotment. Why not buy your fresh foods, veggies, etc with the traditional half? If foods do end up being delivered it could be extremely beneficial for families without a car, busy single parents, disabled people, etc.
    Probably 90% of what we buy isn't shelf stable.
    My sister is disabled and uses food stamps, she too is against this. Not allowing people to choose for themselves is taking their dignity and dehumanizing them. Am I that much less of a person that I need someone else to decide what my kids need? Am I less of their mother because dh is working for free?

ETA: We have one car, so most of the time the kids and I are stuck at home.
    Last edited by Medic2Doula; 02-13-2018 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added second section
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I spent years just me and my kids not getting assistance while several households I knew who had 2 adults and 2-4 children received help by claiming each adult lived alone with 1 or more children. I also knew several people who lived with their parents but said they lived on their own and got assistance that way (which they wouldn't have qualified if they had included their parents income or that they weren't paying their housing expenses). As someone who worked her ass off alone with no help from the state or my kids dad it pisses me off that some people take the help by lying about their situation.

That is not everyone who uses the system - but it is MANY people I know, not 1 case, and it's a sore spot for me.

For those who do benefit from the system I don't think there's anything shameful about it at all. I think there should be more programs to help with kids - in WI there was badger care which basically any child under 18 regardless of parents income qualified for badger care (which was basically 100% health insurance either for free or for a small copay depending on parents income). That would be fantastic nationwide!

I don't ever think there's anything shameful with using assistance and I do not think anyone needs to justify their purchases, I do think there should be more thorough screening processes to prevent anyone from cheating the system. it's meant for those who need it and they implement requirements for a reason, if people lie about their living situation they take money and food away from people who actually could have qualified otherwise...that's my pet peeve.
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I think this is a sad, shitty idea backed by stupid "conservative" stereotypes and "bootstrapping" mentality. My FIL was on government food as a kid (predetermined meal packs like this) and frequently complains with one breath about how the family went weeks eating nothing but rice and american cheese, and in the next breath repeats talking points like "welfare fraud" and "people will be motivated to get a better job so they can buy tastier food"

I think a HUGE problem with this is that is already very difficult to shop sustainably with food stamps, as a max of, say, $100 a month doesn't leave a lot of room for bulk purchases which are traditionally cheaper. If you lower that to $50/month, it's going to be much much harder to be purchasing in bulk and will put a lot of strain on families. I can buy a year's worth of cooking oil for $10 but that's 20% of my monthly budget right there, no way that would happen when I would still need to buy produce, dairy, fresh meat, etc. So instead I would buy the 2$ bottle of oil which only lasts a month at most.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    The food stamp system is broken and abused. Its not a 'one-off' thing that people are abusing it.
    so how do you fix it?

how about go back to the way it was back 20 years ago where all you could buy with foods stamps was healthy foods. You could not buy chips, sodas, cigarettes, or even gas for the car. You could fresh fruit/veg, meat, frozen vegetables, or frozen potatoes. You could not buy frozen pizzas or other quick foods. You could buy canned veggies, processed meats (like spam), and lunchmeat, bread, milk, eggs, etc. If we went back to actually buying food with food stamps, there wouldn't be such stereotypes or animosity towards the program.

how about also requiring everyone/every family to apply each month, to ensure they aren't getting food stamps when they actually have enough income?

So many other things..

With this proposal what's the harm? If we want to be sure that food is actually being bought (instead of sodas, junk food, or cigarettes) then why not have a set list of items to purchase? its no different than WIC, with WIC you have only select items you can buy with it.. I see this as similar to that. He isn't taking away the ability to buy fresh foods, just giving more options and more control. Plus, like someone else mentioned, what about those who do not have the ability to drive, giving them an option for delivery is beneficial.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    The food stamp system is broken and abused. Its not a 'one-off' thing that people are abusing it.
    so how do you fix it?

how about go back to the way it was back 20 years ago where all you could buy with foods stamps was healthy foods. You could not buy chips, sodas, cigarettes, or even gas for the car. You could fresh fruit/veg, meat, frozen vegetables, or frozen potatoes. You could not buy frozen pizzas or other quick foods. You could buy canned veggies, processed meats (like spam), and lunchmeat, bread, milk, eggs, etc. If we went back to actually buying food with food stamps, there wouldn't be such stereotypes or animosity towards the program.

how about also requiring everyone/every family to apply each month, to ensure they aren't getting food stamps when they actually have enough income?

So many other things..

With this proposal what's the harm? If we want to be sure that food is actually being bought (instead of sodas, junk food, or cigarettes) then why not have a set list of items to purchase? its no different than WIC, with WIC you have only select items you can buy with it.. I see this as similar to that. He isn't taking away the ability to buy fresh foods, just giving more options and more control. Plus, like someone else mentioned, what about those who do not have the ability to drive, giving them an option for delivery is beneficial.
    I'm not going to touch other aspects of this, because I fundamentally disagree, but requiring families to apply each month would be incredibly (I mean INCREDIBLY) wasteful and time consuming on both the government and family's side.. I mean just think of the number of hated bureaucrats you would have to hire to simply process this.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast