Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: cutting back on food stamps

1. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Lv. Percent
    95.57%
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    If it is "reckless" to use one story or observation as justification that the system is abused then why isn't it misleading to use one story as a rationale for why the system works and is successful. And obviously just because one person sees abuse doesn't mean the whole system is awful and abused. It just means it happens some percentage of the time. If we want to fix problems with systems it is okay to talk about how and why they are broken, in my opinion.

Related to the article- I see nothing wrong with this box being part (but not all) of the assistance given. The foods to be included are staples that many (me included) eat on a daily basis. I am also a fan of the school lunch programs that are government funded because they guarantee that school aged children are receiving at least one or two good quality meals a day.
    There is so much I could say to this post but the one thought I had was what NSLP meals have you seen, because all the government-funded school lunches I've seen are total shit.
  2. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    18.49%
    If we want to fix issues with the system, can't we come up with better ways?

Like, ID people as they use their card, they require a PIN but that can be given out.
    Reassess the personal needs quarterly or such, sometimes people's situations only call for this kind of help for a short period of time but are allotted a year of help at a time.
  3. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    18.49%
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    There is so much I could say to this post but the one thought I had was what NSLP meals have you seen, because all the government-funded school lunches I've seen are total shit.
    I remember the kids who got one at our school got a peanut butter sandwich and a cup of water.
    It was no secret they couldn't afford lunch. That is what makes me sad, kids don't deserve to have their dignity stolen because of something they have no control over.
  4. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Lv. Percent
    95.57%
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I remember the kids who got one at our school got a peanut butter sandwich and a cup of water.
    It was no secret they couldn't afford lunch. That is what makes me sad, kids don't deserve to have their dignity stolen because of something they have no control over.
    It's not surprising that kids who receive government-funded lunches are more likely to be overweight or obese.
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    18.49%
    It's not surprising that kids who receive government-funded lunches are more likely to be overweight or obese.
    Yea.
    The goal isn't the actual health and well being of the child.

I swear to you, when we are in the position to help babies be fed GOOD FOOD, I will do everything I can. I want to take in foster kids just to make sure they eat well.
    That will have to wait until my four are a little older though, as I'm already past insane.
  6. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    13.43%
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    I stand by my previous statement that one-off anecdotes reinforce harmful stereotypes. That was my main point.
    I think it is a very serious misuse of the system because it takes it away from people who actually really need the programs and it should be addressed. Not by limiting what people can get but to have harsher screening processes and weed out people who lie about how many adults are in their household...
  7. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    13.43%
    Yea.
    The goal isn't the actual health and well being of the child.

I swear to you, when we are in the position to help babies be fed GOOD FOOD, I will do everything I can. I want to take in foster kids just to make sure they eat well.
    That will have to wait until my four are a little older though, as I'm already past insane.
    That's wonderful!

I've definitely been in the situation where I have had to tell my kids no to fruit because it's expensive...it sucks...I definitely wish there was a better system where healthy organic food was as cheap as a big mac :s

I honestly wish all children qualified for WIC so that all parents could guarantee affording milk, bread, fruits, veggies...
  8. Moderator
    Lv. Percent
    4.75%

I pretty much automatically figure Trump's ideas are based on bad assumptions and ignorance of data, so even if I didn't already know this is a terrible idea, I would think so anyway.

I do. not. care. what foods people are buying with their food stamps. Don't want to know. Don't need to know. Unless the government is going to tell us ALL what we can buy at the grocery store in a case of extreme shortage where food must be rationed, they should not be telling any of us. And I guarantee accommodating nutritional needs, allergies, intolerances, etc. would be FAR more expensive than whatever he claims this plan would save.
  9. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    64.24%
    But you PICK your staples. If you choose to eat spam and canned fruit cocktail, does that mean my kids would eat that?
    Point blank, this is bad for families. This is bad for children. My son's banana addiction would have to stop. My oldest daughter who is under weight and has bowel issues will only touch apples which help her *ahem* issues.
    Do my kids not deserve fresh food because we are broke?
    My sister has been on food stamps since she is paralyzed from a stroke (she used to be a social worker), why on earth would it make sense to replace anything with "shelf stable" food that has more sodium (look at ingredients even in canned veggies) which increases risk of stroke???

The thing with abuse, is that you don't see the people quietly using their food stamps for food and abiding by the rules.
    I keep my card in my purse until the last minute, and then I hold it so nobody can see the "Ohio" on it and swipe it as quickly as I can and attempt to block anyone from seeing that I am using food stamps.
    I am ashamed when I'm using them and sure someone is judging me for having four kids on food stamps and owning a vera bradley purse (got as a gift for being a bridesmaid last summer). Most people don't advertise, so you don't realize how many people are not abusing the system.
    Actually, I said I didn't see the problem with PART OF assistance being provided in this manner. That's all I will say because we won't see it the same way. But you shouldn't feel ashamed, and I agree that those who do abuse it will get a majority of the attention.
  10. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    64.24%
    NSLP sponsorship in my state requires a vegetable/fruit and milk. I would only know based on what I have read, have never actually seen a provided lunch. I would have to take your word on it.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast