Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: gun control

1. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

Advertisements
    Where I used to live, I could walk down the street and buy one off a guy selling them out of his car so having proper license wouldn't have come into it. The gun wouldn't be legal, that goes with saying, but it would prove that if someone wants a gun, they can get them regardless of laws, sadly.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALil2Naughty View Post
    Where I used to live, I could walk down the street and buy one off a guy selling them out of his car so having proper license wouldn't have come into it. The gun wouldn't be legal, that goes with saying, but it would prove that if someone wants a gun, they can get them regardless of laws, sadly.
    but every gun starts out as legal, right? If we tracked them and the owner was accountable for it at all times, I think there would be less buying off the streets and illegal selling.
    Yes, there would still be gun crime, but if someone has their gun stolen they file a police report. I'm not sure about after that.
  3. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    but every gun starts out as legal, right? If we tracked them and the owner was accountable for it at all times, I think there would be less buying off the streets and illegal selling.
    Yes, there would still be gun crime, but if someone has their gun stolen they file a police report. I'm not sure about after that.
    I lived in Birmingham, Alabama and the crime was ridiculous. Someone stole my step dad's $400 pool cue out of his locked truck. While he was parked in his back yard. The police said it looked like a smash and grab. We still haven't gotten it back. So if a criminal finds a gun in a vehicle, I highly doubt they will find it.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ushpmg00000003

Of fucking course this white man is labeled as mentally ill. No, he's a terrorist. Also, too soon, Trump? A little bit soon? Was Sandy Hook too soon? Pulse? Charleston? How many innocent people have to be killed at churches, concerts, nightclubs, schools, and playgrounds before it's not "a little bit soon"? How many parents have to lose their children? How many people lose their parents, their partners, their friends? How many times will lawmakers call it a "mental health" problem (but only for white men, of course) while pocketing money from the NRA? The GOP makes me sick. Don't send your prayers, don't send your thoughts. Send a fucking letter, call your senators, and insist on tighter gun laws.

No, actually he's not. A terrorist, and terrorism, is politically, ideologically, or religiously motivated, and intended to coerce the public/government into action based on those political, ideological, or religious goals. Being insane, a psychopath, depressed, or whatever is not the aim required for the terrorism label.

For the record I think the guy was just a dirt bag. He had done 12 months for DV against his wife and step son.

I'm not sure what the answer is. This guy was dishonorably discharged and was a convicted felon, so it was illegal for him to own the guns he had. Somehow he got them, and if it was 'legally' (aka through a store or something considering it was illegal no matter what) we need to find out what went wrong and fix that. Texas requires background checks, I went through them, but I also purchased from a large store. I don't know about Colorado (where two of his weapons came from). I need more information.

eta: he was a bad conduct discharge, not dishonorable, my mistake.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALil2Naughty View Post
    I lived in Birmingham, Alabama and the crime was ridiculous. Someone stole my step dad's $400 pool cue out of his locked truck. While he was parked in his back yard. The police said it looked like a smash and grab. We still haven't gotten it back. So if a criminal finds a gun in a vehicle, I highly doubt they will find it.
    yea, I meant fir purposes of accountability, if my gun is used in a crime and I have not reported it stolen, I'm held accountable.
  6. Senior Member
    turns out he was able to purchase the guns because the Air Force didn't report his convictions to the FBI like they were supposed to. If they had, it would have popped up on a background check at the store, and he would have been turned down.

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    turns out he was able to purchase the guns because the Air Force didn't report his convictions to the FBI like they were supposed to. If they had, it would have popped up on a background check at the store, and he would have been turned down.
    ...oh my god....
  8. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    No, actually he's not. A terrorist, and terrorism, is politically, ideologically, or religiously motivated, and intended to coerce the public/government into action based on those political, ideological, or religious goals. Being insane, a psychopath, depressed, or whatever is not the aim required for the terrorism label.

For the record I think the guy was just a dirt bag. He had done 12 months for DV against his wife and step son.

I'm not sure what the answer is. This guy was dishonorably discharged and was a convicted felon, so it was illegal for him to own the guns he had. Somehow he got them, and if it was 'legally' (aka through a store or something considering it was illegal no matter what) we need to find out what went wrong and fix that. Texas requires background checks, I went through them, but I also purchased from a large store. I don't know about Colorado (where two of his weapons came from). I need more information.

eta: he was a bad conduct discharge, not dishonorable, my mistake.
    You're right, we need more information. It was perhaps unfair for me to label him a terrorist. I still have my suspicion that he may be, but haven't read anything about a motive, political or religious.

I'm still stuck on the administration's reaction to this. I just feel like we can't talk about gun control and what we're supposed to do to change things in the US without addressing mental health vs. gun control. How fucking quick was Trump to talk policy after NYC last week? Why can't we talk policy about this? The shooter is being labelled as mentally ill, just like any other white male and at this point that is the most upsetting part for me, in terms of moving forward. Trump's statements earlier (link: Trump says Texas church mass shooting not a 'guns situation,' blames mental health - ABC News) made me truly ragey. It is an absolute gun control issue. It's not too soon to talk about this. It's too fucking late for those families who lost loved ones. How he say this is solely a mental health issue, while he's fucking cutting healthcare dollars and programming for mental health treatment, is beyond me. Mental health played a role, surely I'm not denying that but I'm just, at this point, so upset that there have been so many mass shootings and no real change proposed by Congress. Dirt bag or not, there needs to be legitimate change in our country in regards to common sense gun laws.
    Last edited by KittenMittens; 11-06-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: because I can't form a coherent sentence this late
  9. Senior Member
    You're right, we need more information. It was perhaps unfair for me to label him a terrorist. I still have my suspicion that he may be, but haven't read anything about a motive, political or religious.

I'm still stuck on the administration's reaction to this. I just feel like we can't talk about gun control and what we're supposed to do to change things in the US without addressing mental health vs. gun control. How fucking quick was Trump to talk policy after NYC last week? Why can't we talk policy about this? The shooter is being labelled as mentally ill, just like any other white male and at this point that is the most upsetting part for me, in terms of moving forward. Trump's statements earlier (link: Trump says Texas church mass shooting not a 'guns situation,' blames mental health - ABC News) made me truly ragey. It is an absolute gun control issue. It's not too soon to talk about this. It's too fucking late for those families who lost loved ones. How he say this is solely a mental health issue, while he's fucking cutting healthcare dollars and programming for mental health treatment, is beyond me. Mental health played a role, surely I'm not denying that but I'm just, at this point, so upset that there have been so many mass shootings and no real change proposed by Congress. Dirt bag or not, there needs to be legitimate change in our country in regards to common sense gun laws.
    you are 100% correct.

I am walking the line of wanting to be informed, but also not wanting to live my life in a cheeto face induced rage
  10. Senior Member

I think the white males are labeled mentally ill because that's generally their motive. I'm not denying Trump spouts racist shit, but I'm getting rather annoyed by people who insist we only label the white guys mentally ill lone wolfs and brown guys terrorists. It's not because of race, it's because of motive. *Generally* the white guys are mentally ill or psychopathic. Look at serial killers, they're generally white. But we're not racist for labeling all the white killers who kill more than 3 people over time serial killers. That's what they are. It so happens that terrorist attacks here in these last few decades are born out of ideological goals stemming from Islam. The perpetrators tend to have darker skin. We're not calling them terrorists BECAUSE they have dark skin. It's irrelevant. (I'm also not denying there are racist ignorant assholes who jump to the conclusion that brown = terrorist, there are because the gen pop is pretty ignorant, on both sides. But factually speaking, the FBI doesn't label a terrorist a terrorist because of the color of their skin).

and I think mental health is a huge issue, but it obviously won't be fixed by cutting funding. And we had the laws in place to stop this guy from getting weapons, someone just didn't do their job and that's a problem.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast